How important is ANSI Smalltalk / speeding up ASCII/Latin1/Unicode I/O

How important is ANSI Smalltalk / speeding up ASCII/Latin1/Unicode I/O

Dave Mason-3
I have been wondering about ways to speed up character-set
conversions, and related I/O as mentioned in the recent email about
MultiByteFileStream.  However this change might break parts of the
ANSI Smalltalk hierarchy - particularly around String.

So my question is, how important is ANSI compatibility?  Squeak? GNU
Smalltalk?  VW? VA?

On a related question, how common is it to subclass String?  Would it
be a mess if it were its own little hierarchy of classes?

../Dave

Re: How important is ANSI Smalltalk / speeding up ASCII/Latin1/Unicode I/O

Igor Stasenko
2009/7/23 Dave Mason <[hidden email]>:

> I have been wondering about ways to speed up character-set
> conversions, and related I/O as mentioned in the recent email about
> MultiByteFileStream.  However this change might break parts of the
> ANSI Smalltalk hierarchy - particularly around String.
>
> So my question is, how important is ANSI compatibility?  Squeak? GNU
> Smalltalk?  VW? VA?
>
> On a related question, how common is it to subclass String?  Would it
> be a mess if it were its own little hierarchy of classes?

My opinion, that we should follow the standards as much as possible.
This is a good to have a layer , common for all dialects, so
developers could port their software on different dialects without
much hacking.

> ../Dave

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: How important is ANSI Smalltalk / speeding up ASCII/Latin1/Unicode I/O

Philippe Marschall-2-3
Dave Mason wrote:
> I have been wondering about ways to speed up character-set
> conversions, and related I/O as mentioned in the recent email about
> MultiByteFileStream.  However this change might break parts of the
> ANSI Smalltalk hierarchy - particularly around String.

Important for Seaside, we use the utf8 fastpath by Andreas instead of
Utf8TextConverter for this reason.

> So my question is, how important is ANSI compatibility?  Squeak? GNU
> Smalltalk?  VW? VA?

What do you have in mind? In general ANSI compatibility is important for
Seaside.

Cheers
Philippe