How learning Smalltalk can make you a better developer

How learning Smalltalk can make you a better developer

horrido
A new article on Smalltalk has been published at TechBeacon: How learning Smalltalk can make you a better developer. Hopefully, it will go viral.

Re: How learning Smalltalk can make you a better developer

Ben Coman
On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 9:19 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A new article on Smalltalk has been published at TechBeacon:  How learning
> Smalltalk can make you a better developer
> <http://techbeacon.com/how-learning-smalltalk-can-make-you-better-developer>
> . Hopefully, it will go viral.

Good to see a nicely balanced article from you.
Only thing I'd change is from " widely perceived" to "sometimes
perceived".  Don't dig a hole too deep that you later talk your way
out of ;)

You might consider linking at the end to some videos of opinions from
people from outside the Smalltalk community...

MountainWest RubyConf 2014 - But Really, You Should Learn Smalltalk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGaKZBr0ga4

In which I make you hate Ruby in 7 minutes
http://www.virtuouscode.com/2015/05/11/in-which-i-make-you-hate-ruby-in-7-minutes/

cheers -ben

Re: How learning Smalltalk can make you a better developer

horrido
My article at TechBeacon has already become the third most popular (most viewed) article at the website. And its first week of publication isn't over yet!

Apparently, this has become something of a "hot" topic. If you look at the Live Listener Count for my article, it's the highest of all the articles listed. Currently, it stands around 50, but it started the week at around 120! All the other articles on the list have a Live Listener Count of less than 25.

In other words, I think interest in Smalltalk is particularly strong (if somewhat latent). We just need to keep hammering the message home.

Re: How learning Smalltalk can make you a better developer

hernanmd
Nice article!

Cheers,

Hernán

My article at TechBeacon has already become the third  most popular (most
viewed) <http://techbeacon.com/?filter=popular>   article at the website.

<https://livefyre.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200329496-What-is-the-Live-Listener-Count->
for my article, it's the highest of all the articles listed. Currently, it
stands around 50, but it started the week at around 120! All the other
articles on the list have a Live Listener Count of less than 25.

In other words, I think interest in Smalltalk is particularly strong (if
somewhat latent). We just need to keep hammering the message home.

Re: How learning Smalltalk can make you a better developer

horrido
BREAKING NEWS!!!

My TechBeacon article has officially become the Most Popular at the website with the number of views exceeding 11,200. And this only the first week of publication!

It all happened because HN asked me to repost the article last night. Apparently, they thought it deserved to be reposted because since last Monday it hadn't gotten much traction. I owe HN great thanks.

This is also why the article's Live Listener Count jumped to over 340, now settling around 260. That's still 10X higher than for any other TechBeacon article!

See the active comment threads at HN.

Clearly, I've tapped into a large vein of Smalltalk interest. It behooves all Smalltalkers to take advantage of this and run with it. Use it to evangelize and promote and initiate discussions with the public.

We may never get another opportunity...

Re: How learning Smalltalk can make you a better developer

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

On 25/07/16 11:16, horrido wrote:

> BREAKING NEWS!!!
>
> My TechBeacon article has officially become the Most Popular at the website
> with the number of views exceeding 11,200. And this only the first week of
> publication!
>
> It all happened because HN asked me to repost the article last night.
> Apparently, they thought it deserved to be reposted because since last
> Monday it hadn't gotten much traction. I owe HN great thanks.
>
> This is also why the article's Live Listener Count jumped to over 340, now
> settling around 260. That's still 10X higher than for any other TechBeacon
> article!
>
> See  the active comment threads
> <https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12154484>   at HN.
>
> Clearly, I've tapped into a large vein of Smalltalk interest. It behooves
> all Smalltalkers to take advantage of this and run with it. Use it to
> evangelize and promote and initiate discussions with the public.
>
> We may never get another opportunity...

May be, or may be popularity is not such an important metric everywhere.

I think is important to advocate Smalltalk and related ideas and
ecosystem. We're having now our Data Week [1] edition right now with a
workshop of 16 attendants from several disciplines (some photos at [2]
and [3]) and even share your post with them.

[1] http://mutabit.com/dataweek/
[2] https://tupale.co/s194
[3] https://twitter.com/hashtag/DataWeek4?src=hash

Maybe two or three will be active/visible part of the local community in
a not so distant future, but this kind of slow community building with
small sustainable acts are less sensible to "catch the opportunity just
right now!" logic. Some sense of intensity (like in MOOC, hackathons,
making noise on hacker news, etc) needs to be combined with some sense
of quit, to get a better rhythm :-).

Bests,

Offray