How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

[

Max replied on the Seaside ML where I originally posted:

> We don't have a build for Pharo 7 yet. Loading from github would be the recommended way. A quick look makes me think that it will require a bit of work to get the baseline set up correctly. I can't promise anything before next weekend.

I think it is important that Seaside works on Pharo 7, it is an important use case and test during development, and very necessary as well.

]

I am stuck trying to move my main development to Pharo 7 because I have trouble loading Seaside (which I normally do indirectly by loading the Bootstrap project). Here is my dependency:

 project: 'Bootstrap' with: [
   spec
     className: 'ConfigurationOfBootstrap';
     repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/TorstenBergmann/Bootstrap/main/';
     versionString: #stable ]

I also tried the following:

Metacello new
baseline:'Seaside3';
repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
load.

What is the right/recommended way to do it ?

Thx,

Sven

Re: How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Nobody (trying to use|using) Seaside on Pharo 7 ??

> On 6 Nov 2017, at 09:51, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> [
>
> Max replied on the Seaside ML where I originally posted:
>
>> We don't have a build for Pharo 7 yet. Loading from github would be the recommended way. A quick look makes me think that it will require a bit of work to get the baseline set up correctly. I can't promise anything before next weekend.
>

> I think it is important that Seaside works on Pharo 7, it is an important use case and test during development, and very necessary as well.
>
> ]
>
> I am stuck trying to move my main development to Pharo 7 because I have trouble loading Seaside (which I normally do indirectly by loading the Bootstrap project). Here is my dependency:
>
> project: 'Bootstrap' with: [
>   spec
>     className: 'ConfigurationOfBootstrap';
>     repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/TorstenBergmann/Bootstrap/main/';
>     versionString: #stable ]
>
> I also tried the following:
>
> Metacello new
> baseline:'Seaside3';
> repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
> load.
>
> What is the right/recommended way to do it ?
>
> Thx,
>
> Sven

Re: How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 07-11-17 21:11, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> Nobody (trying to use|using) Seaside on Pharo 7 ??

I already did one pull request. That is not enough because of the
flattening of traits

Stephan

Re: How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 7 Nov 2017, at 21:17, stephan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 07-11-17 21:11, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>> Nobody (trying to use|using) Seaside on Pharo 7 ??
>
> I already did one pull request.

OK, thanks, let's hope things keep moving forward. I am ready to test and help.

> That is not enough because of the flattening of traits

Yes, that is a though one for external libraries.

> Stephan

Re: How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

EstebanLM

> On 7 Nov 2017, at 17:22, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 7 Nov 2017, at 21:17, stephan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 07-11-17 21:11, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>> Nobody (trying to use|using) Seaside on Pharo 7 ??
>>
>> I already did one pull request.
>
> OK, thanks, let's hope things keep moving forward. I am ready to test and help.
>
>> That is not enough because of the flattening of traits
>
> Yes, that is a though one for external libraries.

why? (not putting it in doubt, just wanting to know ;) )

Esteban

On 07-11-17 21:25, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>> On 7 Nov 2017, at 17:22, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes, that is a though one for external libraries.
>
> why? (not putting it in doubt, just wanting to know ;) )

Ah, well, it just means that we'll want to replace some code written for
pharo 3 or 4 and add it there. Just unplanned work to keep up with Pharo
changes. And would have been better handled as a rewrite rule, I think.

Stephan

Re: How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 7 Nov 2017, at 21:25, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 7 Nov 2017, at 17:22, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I already did one pull request.
>>
>> OK, thanks, let's hope things keep moving forward. I am ready to test and help.
>>
>>> That is not enough because of the flattening of traits
>>
>> Yes, that is a though one for external libraries.
>
> why? (not putting it in doubt, just wanting to know ;) )

Like I said in another email, for example STON adds methods to Class, MetaClass and ClassDescription *Traits*. Now it has to add to the classes itself (right ?). So a single code base cannot deal with Pharo 7 and older version without splitting. I like to keep simple projects like STON simple (Seaside is huge in comparison and deals with this stuff all the time and already has the complex infrastructure for it).

> Esteban
>

>>> Stephan

Re: How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Pavel Krivanek-3
I successfully loaded Seaside into minimal Pharo 7 image:

-- Pavel

Nobody (trying to use|using) Seaside on Pharo 7 ??

> On 6 Nov 2017, at 09:51, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> [
>
> Max replied on the Seaside ML where I originally posted:
>
>> We don't have a build for Pharo 7 yet. Loading from github would be the recommended way. A quick look makes me think that it will require a bit of work to get the baseline set up correctly. I can't promise anything before next weekend.
>

> I think it is important that Seaside works on Pharo 7, it is an important use case and test during development, and very necessary as well.
>
> ]
>
> I am stuck trying to move my main development to Pharo 7 because I have trouble loading Seaside (which I normally do indirectly by loading the Bootstrap project). Here is my dependency:
>
> project: 'Bootstrap' with: [
>   spec
>     className: 'ConfigurationOfBootstrap';
>     repository: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/TorstenBergmann/Bootstrap/main/';
>     versionString: #stable ]
>
> I also tried the following:
>
> Metacello new
> baseline:'Seaside3';
> repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:master/repository';
> load.
>
> What is the right/recommended way to do it ?
>
> Thx,
>
> Sven

Re: How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Denis Kudriashov
Hi Sven

I think it should not be problem for compatibility. Because with flattening you will just has duplication of code for classes and traits but classes and traits existed in Pharo all the time. So flattened version of STON will correctly work in older Pharo's.

Re: How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 7 Nov 2017, at 22:59, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Sven

> Like I said in another email, for example STON adds methods to Class, MetaClass and ClassDescription *Traits*. Now it has to add to the classes itself (right ?). So a single code base cannot deal with Pharo 7 and older version without splitting. I like to keep simple projects like STON simple (Seaside is huge in comparison and deals with this stuff all the time and already has the complex infrastructure for it).
>
> I think it should not be problem for compatibility. Because with flattening you will just has duplication of code for classes and traits but classes and traits existed in Pharo all the time. So flattened version of STON will correctly work in older Pharo's.

I didn't look careful enough to realise you made your own fork.

Still, trying

Metacello new
    baseline:'Seaside3';
    repository: 'github://pavel-krivanek/Seaside:minimalPharo/repository';
    load.

In full Pharo 7, I get:

MetacelloNameNotDefinedError: project group, or package named: 'Seaside-Pharo-Development' not found when used in requires: or includes: field of package: 'Seaside-Tests-Pharo-Development' for version: baseline of BaselineOfSeaside3.

Thanks for helping out.

On 07-11-17 22:34, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
> I successfully loaded Seaside into minimal Pharo 7 image:
>
> http://forum.world.st/Seaside-on-minimal-Pharo-7-0-td4979763.html

Well, loading code that adds methods to the still existing traits works.
But if those traits are no longer used, that might result in silent failure.
That actually needs a quality rule (or rewrite to also flatten)

Stephan

Re: How should I load Seaside/Bootstrap in Pharo 7 ?

Pavel Krivanek-3
hmm, I suppose it is related to the latest Metacello update.

-- Pavel