How to add tabs in Nautilus

kilon.alios
I see in the top right side dropdown menu that there is an option to create a window goup which basically add the current instance of Nautilus in a tab but I dont know hot to add other tabs to it. It would be cool to have multiple tabs for each class selection and not to have to open a new window for each one.

So how I add other tabs ?

Re: How to add tabs in Nautilus

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
The easier way is to wait for me to finish the new Nautilus with tabs in it :P

Ben

So how I add other tabs ?

Re: How to add tabs in Nautilus

kilon.alios
hahahaha nicely played man , nicely played :D

of course I will , but so you know, I dont pay overtime ... now I think about it, I dont pay at all, but thats another matter .

I would love to see tab in Nautilus , they will definitely sort the windows mess. At least partly.

On 12 Nov 2013, at 19:53, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

hahahaha nicely played man , nicely played :D

of course I will , but so you know, I dont pay overtime ... now I think about it, I dont pay at all, but thats another matter .

I would love to see tab in Nautilus , they will definitely sort the windows mess. At least partly.

Me too :)
That’s why I am writing a new one (made with Spec)

Otherwise, in full morphic, you will see the pain it is :P

Ben

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 8:47 PM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
The easier way is to wait for me to finish the new Nautilus with tabs in it :P

Ben

On 12 Nov 2013, at 17:50, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

I see in the top right side dropdown menu that there is an option to create a window goup which basically add the current instance of Nautilus in a tab but I dont know hot to add other tabs to it. It would be cool to have multiple tabs for each class selection and not to have to open a new window for each one.

So how I add other tabs ?

Re: How to add tabs in Nautilus

kilon.alios
yeah morphic is quite messy , but hey it works

Thank you for your effort to bring us a better , cleaner and simpler GUI API. You have my support. I am actually thinking about implementing my own GUI API and I was wondering if I should base it on spec or not. My main focus is custom look guis. But I will wait for the documentation of spec to appear before I make any decision on it.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 9:23 PM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Currently I am working on Hyperion a vector graphics editor with similar goals to inkscape and gimp . The second step will be to use Hyperion as a GUI designer, not just to drag and drop ready made widgets but to design from scratch new ones. The third step is to create a GUI api so that those widgets will be accessed from code via a GUI API that I have named Morpheas. The forth step is to take all that and redesign the look (just the look not the internals) of Pharo making it more user friendly and approachable including several tools into a project I have named Ephestos.

I like the general idea of everything being a morph a simple building block that allows you to build complex , custom guis. I am also thinking providing a super simple GUI API and offering sophisticated widgets as external libraries. In sort my goal is minimalism and customisation.

All of this will be  based on Athens which is what I already use for Hyperion.

This is the final look that aiming for to offer as a default look , but of course because it will be based on Athens and will offer a powerful designer any look will be possible.

Currently I just started Hyperion and I work at creating lines with Athens and editing them graphically like inkscape. I hope that after 6 months to finish the basic vector graphic editing capabilities and move to GUI design so that by 2015 I have version 1 to offer that will be able to do both. Of course this will be a way more long term project than just one year but for now I take it step by step , day by day and see where it takes me.

Because it is based on Athens I can bypass spec and even morphic completely and offer my own GUI API, however that will make it hard for people already having projects in those APIs to move to mine and since spec looks like the future of Pharo I am seriously considering spec as well. It will also save me the trouble of designing my own GUI API which is of course a big plus. My own concern is how morphic friendly spec is, meaning that I want to see everything as a composition of simpler elements and not monolithic widgets. From what I have seen from some tutorials this seems to be the direction you go with this, but maybe you could illuminate that area abit more for me.

I will also be interested to hear where you want to take spec, what you will like to add etc.

On 12 Nov 2013, at 23:07, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

Currently I am working on Hyperion a vector graphics editor with similar goals to inkscape and gimp . The second step will be to use Hyperion as a GUI designer, not just to drag and drop ready made widgets but to design from scratch new ones. The third step is to create a GUI api so that those widgets will be accessed from code via a GUI API that I have named Morpheas. The forth step is to take all that and redesign the look (just the look not the internals) of Pharo making it more user friendly and approachable including several tools into a project I have named Ephestos.

This sounds like a really cool battle plan :) I sincerely wish you to succeed in your project :)

[...]

The idea of Spec (and the direction I want to give him now) is to be framework independent, in a way one can plug any framework below
as long as the correct adapters are provided :)

So if you implement the basic widgets, then you should be able to compose them using Spec :)

I will also be interested to hear where you want to take spec, what you will like to add etc.

I think that some widgets are missing but not that much anymore :)
So I think the next steps are bug fixes and documentation :)

Ben

[...]

Thank you for the wishes. I would not even dream to start something like that if Pharo did not already offer so many awesome libraries and tools.

Ah thats very good news indeed , I did not know you were so much close to finalizing at least the core of spec. Documentation is something I am already looking forward to. So it seems I will be using Spec afterall.

Are you by any chance thinking about a theme engine about Spec , because this generally the direction I am going with this . I dont know if you have used Winamp on windows, its a music player that can change skins and even though it has the same gui it can change its look dramatically. I think such an ability would look very cool for Pharo and its what I am aiming for with my project.

So does Spec has any theme support ? If not any plans for it , or you leave that to others to make ?

These are some examples of winamp skins http://www.winamp.com/skins

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:23 AM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

philippeback
I don't know if you tried this out already:

Little black triangle on the top right of the window.
Create Window Group.
Drag & Drop other windows onto the group.
And there you have tabs and reduce windows clutter.
Works with any window, so you can put several Nautilus tabs in there.

Inline image 1

Phil

On 12 Nov 2013, at 23:37, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you for the wishes. I would not even dream to start something like that if Pharo did not already offer so many awesome libraries and tools.

Ah thats very good news indeed , I did not know you were so much close to finalizing at least the core of spec. Documentation is something I am already looking forward to. So it seems I will be using Spec afterall.

Are you by any chance thinking about a theme engine about Spec , because this generally the direction I am going with this . I dont know if you have used Winamp on windows, its a music player that can change skins and even though it has the same gui it can change its look dramatically. I think such an ability would look very cool for Pharo and its what I am aiming for with my project.

So does Spec has any theme support ? If not any plans for it , or you leave that to others to make ?

This is not planned yet (mainly because I do not have time to do it), but if someone wants to contribute, he/she is more than welcome :)

Ben

[...]

wow it works, thank you , thank you, this is exactly what i was asking for.

I tried on windows and it did not work, maybe I was doing it the wrong way, I will try again tomorrow but in macos it works like a charm.  This makes my life much easier. I was able to even put a transcript inside, awesome.