How to allow downloads in Seaside?

ching
Hi,

If I were to allow downloads from my webpage, how would I go about it? Does Seaside have a method for doing this? Many thanks.

Ching

RE: How to allow downloads in Seaside?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
I use the following extension on WAComponent,

downloadBytes: bytes mime: mime filename: filename
 ^self session returnResponse: (WADocumentHandler
                                  document: bytes
                                  mimeType: mime
                                  fileName: filename) response

which is then called from a callback, say

html anchor
  callback: [self
              downloadBytes: self asCSV
              mime: 'text/csv'
              filename: 'export.csv'].

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Sigh, obviously anchor would need to be closed,

html anchor
  callback: [self
              downloadBytes: self asCSV
              mime: 'text/csv'
              filename: 'export.csv'];
  with: 'Export'.

Cheers,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Thanks Boris.

On 8/11/07, Boris Popov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sigh, obviously anchor would need to be closed,

html anchor
  callback: [self
              downloadBytes: self asCSV

could you show me sample code on #asCSV? I am thinking of music files to be downloaded.

              mime: 'text/csv'
              filename: 'export.csv '];
  with: 'Export'.

Cheers,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Then you would just pass byte array to #downloadBytes, say

self
 downloadBytes: 'c:\play.wav' asFilename contentsOfEntireBinaryFile
    mime: 'audio/x-wav'
    filename: 'play.wav'];
 with: 'Download WAV File!'.

It all depends on what it is you are trying to achieve I guess.

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.
On 8/11/07, Boris Popov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sigh, obviously anchor would need to be closed,

html anchor
  callback: [self
              downloadBytes: self asCSV

could you show me sample code on #asCSV? I am thinking of music files to be downloaded.

              mime: 'text/csv'
              filename: 'export.csv '];
  with: 'Export'.

Cheers,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.
4th floor 595 Howe Street
Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Thanks again, Boris.

On 8/11/07, Boris Popov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Then you would just pass byte array to #downloadBytes, say

self
downloadBytes: 'c:\play.wav' asFilename contentsOfEntireBinaryFile

how would  #contentsOfEntireBinaryFile be implemented? That is if I intend to allow the download of an entire audio file that is in my server?.

    mime: 'audio/x-wav'
    filename: 'play.wav'];
with: 'Download WAV File!'.

It all depends on what it is you are trying to achieve I guess.

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.
4th floor 595 Howe Street
Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.
On 8/11/07, Boris Popov < [hidden email]> wrote:
Sigh, obviously anchor would need to be closed,

html anchor
callback: [self
downloadBytes: self asCSV

could you show me sample code on #asCSV? I am thinking of music files to be downloaded.

mime: 'text/csv'
filename: 'export.csv '];
with: 'Export'.

Cheers,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.
4th floor 595 Howe Street
Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Its a standard method in visualworks to read entire file into a byte array.

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

On 8/11/07, Boris Popov <[hidden email]> wrote:

        Then you would just pass byte array to #downloadBytes, say

        self
        downloadBytes: 'c:\play.wav' asFilename contentsOfEntireBinaryFile

how would  #contentsOfEntireBinaryFile be implemented? That is if I intend to allow the download of an entire audio file that is in my server?.

            mime: 'audio/x-wav'
            filename: 'play.wav'];
        with: 'Download WAV File!'.

        It all depends on what it is you are trying to achieve I guess.

        -Boris

        --
        +1.604.689.0322
        DeepCove Labs Ltd.
        4th floor 595 Howe Street
        Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
        http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4 <http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4>

        [hidden email]

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

        attachments.

        Thank you.
        On 8/11/07, Boris Popov < [hidden email]> wrote:
        Sigh, obviously anchor would need to be closed,

        html anchor
        callback: [self
        downloadBytes: self asCSV

        could you show me sample code on #asCSV? I am thinking of music files to be downloaded.

        mime: 'text/csv'
        filename: 'export.csv '];
        with: 'Export'.

        Cheers,

        -Boris

        --
        +1.604.689.0322
        DeepCove Labs Ltd.
        4th floor 595 Howe Street
        Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
        http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

        [hidden email]

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

        attachments.

        Thank you.

        [hidden email] <[hidden email]>

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside" target="_blank">http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside

Re: How to allow downloads in Seaside?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [Seaside] How to allow downloads in Seaside?

The protocol is likely to be on a filename class not bytearray, but I don't squeak, so...

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

        On 8/11/07, Boris Popov <[hidden email]> wrote:

                Then you would just pass byte array to #downloadBytes, say

                self
                downloadBytes: 'c:\play.wav' asFilename contentsOfEntireBinaryFile

        how would  #contentsOfEntireBinaryFile be implemented? That is if I intend to allow the download of an entire audio file that is in my server?.

                    mime: 'audio/x-wav'
                    filename: 'play.wav'];
                with: 'Download WAV File!'.

                It all depends on what it is you are trying to achieve I guess.

                -Boris

                --
                +1.604.689.0322
                DeepCove Labs Ltd.
                4th floor 595 Howe Street
                Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
                http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4 < http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4 <http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4> >

                [hidden email]

                CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

                attachments.

                Thank you.
                On 8/11/07, Boris Popov < [hidden email]> wrote:
                Sigh, obviously anchor would need to be closed,

                html anchor
                callback: [self
                downloadBytes: self asCSV

                could you show me sample code on #asCSV? I am thinking of music files to be downloaded.

                mime: 'text/csv'
                filename: 'export.csv '];
                with: 'Export'.

                Cheers,

                -Boris

                --
                +1.604.689.0322
                DeepCove Labs Ltd.
                4th floor 595 Howe Street
                Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
                http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4

                [hidden email]

                CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

                attachments.

                Thank you.

Patrick Collison
On 11/08/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks again, Boris. I am using Squeak. I suppose there is an equivalent
> method? I am looking at ByteArray in Squeak and I do not see a method
> similar in name to #contentsOfEntireBinaryFile.

(FileStream fileNamed: 'foo') binary contents

> On 8/11/07, Boris Popov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Its a standard method in visualworks to read entire file into a byte
> array.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > -Boris
> > (Sent from a BlackBerry)

Thanks, Patrick. I will give it a try.If this works then I will have to look for some files to serve.

Ching

On 8/11/07, Patrick Collison <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/08/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks again, Boris. I am using Squeak. I suppose there is an equivalent
> method? I am looking at ByteArray in Squeak and I do not see a method
> similar in name to #contentsOfEntireBinaryFile.

(FileStream fileNamed: 'foo') binary contents

> On 8/11/07, Boris Popov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Its a standard method in visualworks to read entire file into a byte

> array.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > -Boris
> > (Sent from a BlackBerry)

The download worked. Sadly, an empty file was downloaded. 0 bytes.

On 8/11/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Patrick. I will give it a try.If this works then I will have to look for some files to serve.

Ching

On 8/11/07, Patrick Collison <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/08/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks again, Boris. I am using Squeak. I suppose there is an equivalent
> method? I am looking at ByteArray in Squeak and I do not see a method
> similar in name to #contentsOfEntireBinaryFile.

(FileStream fileNamed: 'foo') binary contents

as in:  self
        downloadBytes:
(FileStream fileNamed: 'c:\play.wav') binary contents
            mime: 'audio/x-wav'
            filename: 'play.wav'];
            with: 'Download WAV File!'.

This is what I have and  a file was downloaded with 0 bytes. Any ideas, anyone?

> On 8/11/07, Boris Popov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Its a standard method in visualworks to read entire file into a byte

> array.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > -Boris
> > (Sent from a BlackBerry)

I did a bit of testing and I can get text files downloaded but not mp3 or audio files. A message not understood #contentsOfEntireFile is returned. Does anyone have any ideas?

This is the errant code:
(FileStream fileNamed: '.\somefolder\demo.mp3') contentsOfEntireFile

Ching

On 8/11/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
The download worked. Sadly, an empty file was downloaded. 0 bytes.

On 8/11/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Patrick. I will give it a try.If this works then I will have to look for some files to serve.

Ching

On 8/11/07, Patrick Collison <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/08/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks again, Boris. I am using Squeak. I suppose there is an equivalent
> method? I am looking at ByteArray in Squeak and I do not see a method
> similar in name to #contentsOfEntireBinaryFile.

(FileStream fileNamed: 'foo') binary contents

as in:  self
        downloadBytes:
(FileStream fileNamed: 'c:\play.wav') binary contents
            mime: 'audio/x-wav'
            filename: 'play.wav'];
            with: 'Download WAV File!'.

This is what I have and  a file was downloaded with 0 bytes. Any ideas, anyone?

> On 8/11/07, Boris Popov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Its a standard method in visualworks to read entire file into a byte

> array.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > -Boris
> > (Sent from a BlackBerry)

Philippe Marschall
2007/8/12, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> I did a bit of testing and I can get text files downloaded but not mp3 or
> audio files. A message not understood #contentsOfEntireFile is returned.
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> This is the errant code:
> (FileStream fileNamed: '.\somefolder\demo.mp3') contentsOfEntireFile

What is the receiver?

Cheers
Philippe

> Ching
>

> On 8/11/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The download worked. Sadly, an empty file was downloaded. 0 bytes.
> >

> > On 8/11/07, Ching de la Serna < [hidden email] > wrote:
> > > Thanks, Patrick. I will give it a try.If this works then I will have to
> look for some files to serve.
> > >
> > > Ching

> equivalent
> method

> > as in:  self
> >         downloadBytes: (FileStream fileNamed: 'c:\play.wav') binary
> contents
> >             mime: 'audio/x-wav'
> >             filename: 'play.wav'];
> >             with: 'Download WAV File!'.
> > This is what I have and  a file was downloaded with 0 bytes. Any ideas,
> anyone?

> byte

(FileStream fileNamed: '.\somefolder\demo.mp3') is the receiver

On 8/12/07, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
2007/8/12, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> I did a bit of testing and I can get text files downloaded but not mp3 or
> audio files. A message not understood #contentsOfEntireFile is returned.
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> This is the errant code:
> (FileStream fileNamed: '.\somefolder\demo.mp3') contentsOfEntireFile

What is the receiver?

Cheers
Philippe

> Ching
>

> On 8/11/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The download worked. Sadly, an empty file was downloaded. 0 bytes.
> >

> > On 8/11/07, Ching de la Serna < [hidden email] > wrote:
> > > Thanks, Patrick. I will give it a try.If this works then I will have to
> look for some files to serve.
> > >
> > > Ching

> equivalent
> method

> > as in:  self
> >         downloadBytes: (FileStream fileNamed: 'c:\play.wav') binary
> contents
> >             mime: 'audio/x-wav'
> >             filename: 'play.wav'];
> >             with: 'Download WAV File!'.
> > This is what I have and  a file was downloaded with 0 bytes. Any ideas,
> anyone?

> byte

What object receives #contentsOfEntireFile? Or to put it in an other
way, to what does (FileStream fileNamed: '.\somefolder\demo.mp3')
evaluate?

Cheers
Philippe

> On 8/12/07, Philippe Marschall < [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > 2007/8/12, Ching de la Serna < [hidden email]>:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I did a bit of testing and I can get text files downloaded but not mp3
> or
> > > audio files. A message not understood #contentsOfEntireFile is returned.
> > > Does anyone have any ideas?
> > >
> > > This is the errant code:
> > > (FileStream fileNamed: '.\somefolder\demo.mp3') contentsOfEntireFile
> >
> > What is the receiver?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Philippe
> >
> > > Ching

> > > look for some files to serve.

> > > equivalent
> > > method

> > > contents
> ideas,
> > > anyone?

> > > byte

Hi Boris, ]

Thanks for the suggestions. I found the equivalent in Squeak which is #contentsOfEntireFile and I can download text files using your code. Sadly, I still have to find success with mp3 files. Any suggestions?

Chingg