How to bundle an application with icons?

How to bundle an application with icons?

Dimitry Golubovsky
OK, great. Thanks everybody who answered.

The response from Hernán mentioning the
createNewIconMethodsFromDirectory: method looks interesting.

I'll try the other methods too.

Thanks.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web

Re: How to bundle an application with icons?

Fernando olivero-2
Hi Dimitry , i've did an external icon family importer and manager.

It's in squeaksource, under the name of ExternalIconFamily.

Gofer it
squeaksource: 'ExternalIconFamily';
package: 'ExternalIconFamily';
load.

This framework allows importing and managing any external icon family.
Once imported , the icon family is reified into the image, as a
subclass of ExternalIconFamily.
As an example it comes with a tiny subset of the Oxygen icon family imported.

Try out this examples:

ExternalIconFamilyOxygenTinySubsetExample openAllIcons

morph := ImageMorph
        named: 'apply'
        size: 64
        familyNamed: 'OxygenTinySubsetExample'.
morph openInWorld.

I've posted a couple of screenshots to the mailing list last year,
with Examples for the complete set of Oxygen icons, the tango icons
and the World Flag icons.
If you want i can upload the generated classes , filed out in .st files.

Let me know if it works for you!

Fernando

pd: Smalltalk and Metaprogramming rocks! The importer is heavily based
on programmatically adding class  methods.
pd: look at the squeaksource page for more detail on creating your own
families. I should create a help system book also.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know that fernando was building an infrastructure for icons.
> But I did not see him recently on the list.
>
> Stef
>
> On Jan 12, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Dimitry Golubovsky wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Suppose I need to bundle a Pharo application (a package) I am
>> developing with some custom icons: is there any "standard"/
>> agreed-upon method to do that in Pharo?
>>
>> For example the MenuIcons class includes byte strings (automatically I
>> assume) converted from some external PNG files that show up as icons
>> with menu items: which tool can be used to create a class with set of
>> icons for an arbitrary application?
>>
>> If I want to reuse icons for standard actions in my application, which
>> is the proper way to access menu icons other than to directly access
>> these stored images?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> PS Other than the "by example" books (both Squeak and Pharo) which
>> give some basics of building GUI for applications, are there any
>> general guidelines for GUI building in these systems?
>>
>> --
>> Dimitry Golubovsky
>>
>> Anywhere on the Web

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Dimitry Golubovsky
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, great. Thanks everybody who answered.
>
> The response from Hernán mentioning the
> createNewIconMethodsFromDirectory: method looks interesting.
>
> I'll try the other methods too.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Dimitry Golubovsky
>
> Anywhere on the Web

PharoScreenshot.2.png (194K) Download Attachment