How to close all inspector windows ?

kilon.alios

Is there a shortcut to close all inspector windows ? and if not how I close the window of a selected inspector ?

Basically I accidentally opened over 1000 inspector windows and i want to close them all now because they have occupied the entire GUI and I cant do anything other than closing them on by one. I cant open the world menu or open a new window because they take not only the entire window but also they are always on top.

The tragedy is that I had plenty of code that I don't want to lose because I have not saved, please help :(

Can't open a workspace to issue pharo commands or any other window :(

Re: How to close all inspector windows ?

Peter Uhnak
Maybe running something like this would work:
----
InspectorNavigator allInstancesDo: [ :each | each window close ].
----

You can run arbitrary code from basically anywhere where you can enter text (and Inspector has couple of boxes where you can enter text).

Also doesn't holding escape close it too?

Peter

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 3:33 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is there a shortcut to close all inspector windows ? and if not how I close the window of a selected inspector ?

Basically I accidentally opened over 1000 inspector windows and i want to close them all now because they have occupied the entire GUI and I cant do anything other than closing them on by one. I cant open the world menu or open a new window because they take not only the entire window but also they are always on top.

The tragedy is that I had plenty of code that I don't want to lose because I have not saved, please help :(

Can't open a workspace to issue pharo commands or any other window :(

Re: How to close all inspector windows ?

Ben Coman
As Peter said, you can execute any code in an inspector window.  Here is how you might solve this yourself :)
There is a menu option
    World > Windows > Delete unchanged windows.
Of course, you can't use that directly since your background is covered with windows.  But you could open up another image and then do this...
1. Bring up the halos on that menu option
2. Click the "Debug" spanner icon and choose 'Inspect Morph'
3. Scroll down to /target/  where you find "[ World closeUnchangedWindows ]"
4. Evaluate that back in the problem image in any Inspector.

I describe this process since until a moment ago when I did that, I didn't know about the existence of "closeUnchangedWindows."
cheers -ben

Peter Uhnák wrote:
[...]

I am afraid I could not do that, it seems that when pharo has opened too many windows the bottom bar takes all the space of the pharo windows and because it has higher viewer priority you cannot view any kind of window. All you see is that bars that represent open windows filling your screen.

So the solution for me was to reopen the image , fetch most of my lost code from changes  and fortunately only add a few lines of code back that were permanently lost.

So a big thank you for changes , it saved me at least hours of work and thank you for trying to help me.

kilon alios wrote:
I am afraid I could not do that, it seems that when pharo has opened too many windows the bottom bar takes all the space of the pharo windows and because it has higher viewer priority you cannot view any kind of window. All you see is that bars that represent open windows filling your screen.

That is a problem.
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/13618/Toolbar-should-never-fill-more-than-half-the-screen

Peter Uhnák wrote:
[...]

philippeback

It would be nice to have the toolbar have some kind of Win7 spinner to the right to solve this.

Is there a way to know when a system window was opened?

Who hasn't been a victim of the attack of the too many windows popping up all over?

Phil

Peter Uhnák wrote:
[...]

stepharo

On 21/7/14 10:29, Peter Uhnák wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to simply enforce fixed limit of Inspector/Debug instances (e.g. 10 or 20)? After reaching the limit creation of more would be simply ignored. Because as a victim I don't see much use of having vastly more windows than even fit on the screen especially since most of the erroneous windows are actually identical.

yes this is a nice idea.
If somebody is ready for the challenge, please try and we will integrate it.

Peter Uhnák wrote:
[...]

Tudor Girba-2
I think the issue should be addressed at the level of the TaskbarMorph. That should be the one that gets limited, for example, by providing a "more windows" button.

We should not get limited in spawning inspectors, I think.

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: How to close all inspector windows ?

Guillermo Polito
+1 to Doru.

In addition, if managed at the inspector level, you'll have the same problem with the debuggers and any other easily-spawned window.

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: How to close all inspector windows ?

Peter Uhnak
We should not get limited in spawning inspectors, I think.
My question is... is there any legitimate reason to have opened hundreds of any type of window? Whether they are browser, debugger, inspector or anything else. At least to me that would seem like an error.

On 21 Jul 2014, at 18:40, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

We should not get limited in spawning inspectors, I think.
My question is... is there any legitimate reason to have opened hundreds of any type of window? Whether they are browser, debugger, inspector or anything else. At least to me that would seem like an error.

is there any legitimate reason to forbid it?
placing artificial restrictions in base of “what we think it should be” is definitively a bad a idea. Both for programming and life.
(also, being able to restrict, filter, etc. in taskbar is a better idea, and a non-restrictive one)

Esteban

Peter Uhnák wrote:
[...]

Jan Vrany
On 21/07/14 17:46, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> On 21 Jul 2014, at 18:40, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> > We should not get limited in spawning inspectors, I think.
>> My question is... is there any legitimate reason to have opened
>> hundreds of any type of window? Whether they are browser, debugger,
>> inspector or anything else. At least to me that would seem like an error.
>
> is there any legitimate reason to forbid it?
> placing artificial restrictions in base of “what we think it should be”
> is definitively a bad a idea. Both for programming and life.
> (also, being able to restrict, filter, etc. in taskbar is a better idea,
> and a non-restrictive one)
>
> Esteban

What about a token bucket sort of mechanism? This protects well against
window bomb and does not impose any artificial limit at the same time.

Best. Jan