How to configure session timeouts (age)

Petr Fischer
Hello, when starting my image with Seaside app, I have this code in startup method:

-----
WAMySeasideApp>>startUp: resuming
        WAMySeasideApp waApplication
                preferenceAt: #maximumRelativeAge
                put: 18000. "5 hours"
        WAEFTTasksApp waApplication
                preferenceAt: #maximumAbsoluteAge
                put: 86400. "24 hours"
        ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8080.

WAMySeasideApp>>waApplication
        ^ WAAdmin defaultDispatcher handlerAt: 'my-seaside-app'
-----

This "maximum age" session parameters are correctly showing in seaside config web app, but every seaside session is still 30 minutes.

What is proper way to configure session timeouts (age), dynamically, via code?

Thanks, pf

Re: How to configure session timeouts (age)

Mariano Martinez Peck
This is the way I do it and it works for me:

app cache expiryPolicy configuration
        at: #'cacheTimeout'
        put: 5 hours asSeconds

That should go in the code you use to register your seaside app (likely from a class side #initialize).

Let me know if that helped.

Cheers,

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, when starting my image with Seaside app, I have this code in startup method:

-----
WAMySeasideApp>>startUp: resuming
        WAMySeasideApp waApplication
                preferenceAt: #maximumRelativeAge
                put: 18000. "5 hours"
        WAEFTTasksApp waApplication
                preferenceAt: #maximumAbsoluteAge
                put: 86400. "24 hours"
        ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8080.

WAMySeasideApp>>waApplication
        ^ WAAdmin defaultDispatcher handlerAt: 'my-seaside-app'
-----

This "maximum age" session parameters are correctly showing in seaside config web app, but every seaside session is still 30 minutes.

What is proper way to configure session timeouts (age), dynamically, via code?

Thanks, pf

Re: How to configure session timeouts (age)

jtuchel
Mariano,

I would be interested in your experiences with 5 hours. We went for 40 minutes in order to give the server a chance to free RAM. Since Seaside by default doesn't clean up sessions when they expire, but only when new ones are requested, I'd be worried about memory usage with such long session intervals...

Another question: what do maximumRelativeAge and maximumAbsoluteAge acrually do? Is this some way of tweaking the session cleanup policy?

Joachim

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 4:13 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

I would be interested in your experiences with 5 hours. We went for 40 minutes in order to give the server a chance to free RAM. Since Seaside by default doesn't clean up sessions when they expire, but only when new ones are requested, I'd be worried about memory usage with such long session intervals...

Hi Jooachim,

Indeed, there is usually the tradeoff between larger timeouts and the memory consumption. In my particular case, the UI of the app allows having multiple tabs, multiple workspaces, and there are even settings/preferences and other things that are scoped to session level. In addition, some of the components are quite complex for the user to get there. That's why they really appreciate long during sessions. And finally, because there are not that many users.

Now, to answer your question, I think the answer is that my RAM does not gets affected much because we are running in GemStone. In GemStone, the Seaside sessions are not transient (temp) but *persistent* objects. In this regard, the main memory to consider in GemStone is the Share Page Cache (the cache of persistent objects on memory). If I got things right, having long sessions does not affect much. Worst scenario if a have an unused session is that if another new sessions comes in and I don't have much free space in the Share Page Cache, then the old "unused" session (at the end this is like any persistent object) will be moved back to disk to make room.  In other words, I think in the worst scenario this would cause some trashing (moving objects between SPC an disk).

Another question: what do maximumRelativeAge and maximumAbsoluteAge acrually do? Is this some way of tweaking the session cleanup policy?

I have no clue what those are.

[...]

"MessageNotUnderstood: WAMutualExclusionCache>>expiryPolicy"

I am using this for get app:
app := WAAdmin defaultDispatcher handlerAt: 'my-seaside-app'

(Seaside 3.2.0, Pharo 5)

pf

> This is the way I do it and it works for me:
>
> app cache expiryPolicy configuration
>         at: #'cacheTimeout'
>         put: 5 hours asSeconds
>
> That should go in the code you use to register your seaside app (likely
> from a class side #initialize).
>
> Let me know if that helped.
>
> Cheers,
>
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello, when starting my image with Seaside app, I have this code in
> > startup method:
> >
> > -----
> > WAMySeasideApp>>startUp: resuming
> >         WAMySeasideApp waApplication
> >                 preferenceAt: #maximumRelativeAge
> >                 put: 18000. "5 hours"
> >         WAEFTTasksApp waApplication
> >                 preferenceAt: #maximumAbsoluteAge
> >                 put: 86400. "24 hours"
> >         ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8080.
> >
> > WAMySeasideApp>>waApplication
> >         ^ WAAdmin defaultDispatcher handlerAt: 'my-seaside-app'
> > -----
> >
> > This "maximum age" session parameters are correctly showing in seaside
> > config web app, but every seaside session is still 30 minutes.
> >
> > What is proper way to configure session timeouts (age), dynamically, via
> > code?
> >
> > Thanks, pf

> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: How to configure session timeouts (age)

Philippe Marschall
On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "MessageNotUnderstood: WAMutualExclusionCache>>expiryPolicy"
>
> I am using this for get app:
> app := WAAdmin defaultDispatcher handlerAt: 'my-seaside-app'

Do you have a full stack trace?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: How to configure session timeouts (age)

Philippe Marschall
On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 8:13 AM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mariano,
>
> I would be interested in your experiences with 5 hours. We went for 40
> minutes in order to give the server a chance to free RAM. Since Seaside by
> default doesn't clean up sessions when they expire, but only when new ones
> are requested, I'd be worried about memory usage with such long session
> intervals...

That is no longer true with Seaside 3.2. With Seaside 3.2 we expire
sessions also when existing ones are accessed. We can do this because
we have O(1) access to the oldest session.

I addition you now can configure a maximum number of sessions and what
should happen when that limit is reached.

And all of this should be documented in class comments :-)

> Another question: what do maximumRelativeAge and maximumAbsoluteAge acrually
> do? Is this some way of tweaking the session cleanup policy?

A relative timeout is what OWASP used to call an idle timeout [1].

 [1] https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Session_Management_Cheat_Sheet#Automatic_Session_Expiration

Cheers
Philippe

Re: How to configure session timeouts (age)

Petr Fischer
> > "MessageNotUnderstood: WAMutualExclusionCache>>expiryPolicy"
> >
> > I am using this for get app:
> > app := WAAdmin defaultDispatcher handlerAt: 'my-seaside-app'
>
> Do you have a full stack trace?

There is MessageNotUnderstood right after DoIt in workspace in debugger.

"app cache" gives WAMutualExclusionCache and this class dnd "expiryPolicy" method.

Also, by Pharo method Finder, there is no method "expiryPolicy" at all (in whole image).

pf

> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: How to configure session timeouts (age)

Petr Fischer
What Seaside version do you use? Are you on Pharo?

By Pharo method Finder, there is no method "expiryPolicy" at all (in whole image).

Thanks! pf

> This is the way I do it and it works for me:
>
> app cache expiryPolicy configuration
>         at: #'cacheTimeout'
>         put: 5 hours asSeconds
>
> That should go in the code you use to register your seaside app (likely
> from a class side #initialize).
>
> Let me know if that helped.
>
> Cheers,
>
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello, when starting my image with Seaside app, I have this code in
> > startup method:
> >
> > -----
> > WAMySeasideApp>>startUp: resuming
> >         WAMySeasideApp waApplication
> >                 preferenceAt: #maximumRelativeAge
> >                 put: 18000. "5 hours"
> >         WAEFTTasksApp waApplication
> >                 preferenceAt: #maximumAbsoluteAge
> >                 put: 86400. "24 hours"
> >         ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8080.
> >
> > WAMySeasideApp>>waApplication
> >         ^ WAAdmin defaultDispatcher handlerAt: 'my-seaside-app'
> > -----
> >
> > This "maximum age" session parameters are correctly showing in seaside
> > config web app, but every seaside session is still 30 minutes.
> >
> > What is proper way to configure session timeouts (age), dynamically, via
> > code?
> >
> > Thanks, pf

> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: How to configure session timeouts (age)

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
What Pharo version are you on?
I am using Pharo 4.0 with Seaside 3.1.
The method is WACache>>#expiryPolicy

BTW, you should use Spotter (Shift-Enter) for all your searching ;-)

> On 30 Nov 2016, at 16:32, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What Seaside version do you use? Are you on Pharo?
>
> By Pharo method Finder, there is no method "expiryPolicy" at all (in whole image).
>
> Thanks! pf
>

>> This is the way I do it and it works for me:
>>
>> app cache expiryPolicy configuration
>>        at: #'cacheTimeout'
>>        put: 5 hours asSeconds
>>
>> That should go in the code you use to register your seaside app (likely
>> from a class side #initialize).
>>
>> Let me know if that helped.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, when starting my image with Seaside app, I have this code in
>>> startup method:
>>>
>>> -----
>>> WAMySeasideApp>>startUp: resuming
>>>        WAMySeasideApp waApplication
>>>                preferenceAt: #maximumRelativeAge
>>>                put: 18000. "5 hours"
>>>        WAEFTTasksApp waApplication
>>>                preferenceAt: #maximumAbsoluteAge
>>>                put: 86400. "24 hours"
>>>        ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8080.
>>>
>>> WAMySeasideApp>>waApplication
>>>        ^ WAAdmin defaultDispatcher handlerAt: 'my-seaside-app'
>>> -----
>>>
>>> This "maximum age" session parameters are correctly showing in seaside
>>> config web app, but every seaside session is still 30 minutes.
>>>
>>> What is proper way to configure session timeouts (age), dynamically, via
>>> code?
>>>
>>> Thanks, pf
>>>

>> --
>> Mariano
>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: How to configure session timeouts (age)

Petr Fischer
1) Pharo 5.0 with latest stable Seaside 3.2 on my side.

2) No "expiryPolicy" in WACache class (no expiryPolicy method at all in whole image) - I need to browse a ton of Seaside internal classes again and try to find more (documentation/book is IMHO outdated)...

3) Spotter has nice modern flat UI, even tooltips are "polished", a lot of details and great functionality (I know how hard is to make a perfect GUI, a lot of work) - but  when I use Spotter sometimes, near 10 windows with SubscriptOutOfBounds appears on the screen... I really hate closing this exception windows... I need to find more and post a bugreport somewhere...

pf

> What Pharo version are you on?
> I am using Pharo 4.0 with Seaside 3.1.
> The method is WACache>>#expiryPolicy
>
> BTW, you should use Spotter (Shift-Enter) for all your searching ;-)
>
> > On 30 Nov 2016, at 16:32, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > What Seaside version do you use? Are you on Pharo?
> >
> > By Pharo method Finder, there is no method "expiryPolicy" at all (in whole image).
> >
> > Thanks! pf
> >

> >> This is the way I do it and it works for me:
> >>
> >> app cache expiryPolicy configuration
> >>        at: #'cacheTimeout'
> >>        put: 5 hours asSeconds
> >>
> >> That should go in the code you use to register your seaside app (likely
> >> from a class side #initialize).
> >>
> >> Let me know if that helped.
> >>
> >> Cheers,

> >> --
> >> Mariano
> >> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: How to configure session timeouts (age)

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 30 Nov 2016, at 17:36, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 1) Pharo 5.0 with latest stable Seaside 3.2 on my side.
>
> 2) No "expiryPolicy" in WACache class (no expiryPolicy method at all in whole image) - I need to browse a ton of Seaside internal classes again and try to find more (documentation/book is IMHO outdated)...

Apparently caching got seriously refactored between 3.1 and 3.2

https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/wiki/Seaside320Changelog

Others might be better suited to help you, this is the first time I see these changes

> 3) Spotter has nice modern flat UI, even tooltips are "polished", a lot of details and great functionality (I know how hard is to make a perfect GUI, a lot of work) - but  when I use Spotter sometimes, near 10 windows with SubscriptOutOfBounds appears on the screen... I really hate closing this exception windows... I need to find more and post a bugreport somewhere...

That is not normal. Yes, you need to file good bug reports.

> pf
>

>> What Pharo version are you on?
>> I am using Pharo 4.0 with Seaside 3.1.
>> The method is WACache>>#expiryPolicy
>>
>> BTW, you should use Spotter (Shift-Enter) for all your searching ;-)
>>
>>> On 30 Nov 2016, at 16:32, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> What Seaside version do you use? Are you on Pharo?
>>>
>>> By Pharo method Finder, there is no method "expiryPolicy" at all (in whole image).
>>>
>>> Thanks! pf

Re: How to configure session timeouts (age)

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Petr,

> On Nov 30, 2016, at 5:36 PM, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 1) Pharo 5.0 with latest stable Seaside 3.2 on my side.
>
> 2) No "expiryPolicy" in WACache class (no expiryPolicy method at all in whole image) - I need to browse a ton of Seaside internal classes again and try to find more (documentation/book is IMHO outdated)...
>
> 3) Spotter has nice modern flat UI, even tooltips are "polished", a lot of details and great functionality (I know how hard is to make a perfect GUI, a lot of work) - but  when I use Spotter sometimes, near 10 windows with SubscriptOutOfBounds appears on the screen... I really hate closing this exception windows... I need to find more and post a bugreport somewhere…

If you find a way to reproduce those problems, please do let us know.

Cheers,
Doru

> pf
>

>> What Pharo version are you on?
>> I am using Pharo 4.0 with Seaside 3.1.
>> The method is WACache>>#expiryPolicy
>>
>> BTW, you should use Spotter (Shift-Enter) for all your searching ;-)
>>
>>> On 30 Nov 2016, at 16:32, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> What Seaside version do you use? Are you on Pharo?
>>>
>>> By Pharo method Finder, there is no method "expiryPolicy" at all (in whole image).
>>>
>>> Thanks! pf

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."