How to consume the MOOC?

Luke Gorrie
Howdy!

Just a question from a confused newbie: What is the easiest way to consume the Pharo MOOC content in English?

I have tried to find the content a few times over the past few months but so far I have hit a registration page / short trailer video / video in French. (I keep hoping that a YouTube channel will appear that makes the videos easy to follow in sequence on any device.)

Cheers!
-Luke

Re: How to consume the MOOC?

jfabry

For me, the easiest way is http://mooc.pharo.org ( which is linked from http://pharo.org/documentation )

--
Does this mail seem too brief? Sorry for that, I don’t mean to be rude! Please see http://emailcharter.org .

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

On 04 Nov 2016, at 08:11, Luke Gorrie <[hidden email]> wrote:

Howdy!

Just a question from a confused newbie: What is the easiest way to consume the Pharo MOOC content in English?

I have tried to find the content a few times over the past few months but so far I have hit a registration page / short trailer video / video in French. (I keep hoping that a YouTube channel will appear that makes the videos easy to follow in sequence on any device.)

Cheers!
-Luke

Re: How to consume the MOOC?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
I thought that somewhere there is better support for English, but I can't find it ... I believe there are English subtitles at least (but no voice over).

> On 4 Nov 2016, at 15:59, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> For me, the easiest way is http://mooc.pharo.org ( which is linked from http://pharo.org/documentation )
>
> --
> Does this mail seem too brief? Sorry for that, I don’t mean to be rude! Please see http://emailcharter.org .
>
> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile
>
>> On 04 Nov 2016, at 08:11, Luke Gorrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy!
>>
>> Just a question from a confused newbie: What is the easiest way to consume the Pharo MOOC content in English?
>>
>> I have tried to find the content a few times over the past few months but so far I have hit a registration page / short trailer video / video in French. (I keep hoping that a YouTube channel will appear that makes the videos easy to follow in sequence on any device.)
>>
>> Cheers!
>> -Luke

Re: How to consume the MOOC?

Ben Coman
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 10:59 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For me, the easiest way is http://mooc.pharo.org

And that links to here for the videos
http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/Videos/W1/

and here for subtitles..
http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/Videos/W1/C019SD-W1-sous-titres-EN/

I only tried one so far (C019-Videos-ProfStef-EN-V2-HD_720p_4Mbs-2)
but found in VLC I could open the video then attached the SRT file.

cheers -ben

> On 04 Nov 2016, at 08:11, Luke Gorrie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Howdy!
>
> Just a question from a confused newbie: What is the easiest way to consume
> the Pharo MOOC content in English?
>
> I have tried to find the content a few times over the past few months but so
> far I have hit a registration page / short trailer video / video in French.
> (I keep hoping that a YouTube channel will appear that makes the videos easy
> to follow in sequence on any device.)
>
> Cheers!
> -Luke

Re: How to consume the MOOC?

stepharo
Hi luke

you can use the webportal (it supports subtitles in french and english -
but read carefully what we wrote because we got trapped into a bug with
certain configurations).

http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/WebPortal/co/pharo.html

http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/

     contains all the resources of the mooc

http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/Videos/

     contains all the videos + their respective subs

All the exercises are in english.

Let us know how it goes.

Stef

Le 4/11/16 à 12:11, Luke Gorrie a écrit :

> Howdy!
>
> Just a question from a confused newbie: What is the easiest way to
> consume the Pharo MOOC content in English?
>
> I have tried to find the content a few times over the past few months
> but so far I have hit a registration page / short trailer video /
> video in French. (I keep hoping that a YouTube channel will appear
> that makes the videos easy to follow in sequence on any device.)
>
> Cheers!
> -Luke

Re: How to consume the MOOC?

Luke Gorrie
Hi Stepharo,

On 5 November 2016 at 18:14, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
you can use the webportal (it supports subtitles in french and english - but read carefully what we wrote because we got trapped into a bug with certain configurations).

http://rmod-pharo-mooc.lille.inria.fr/MOOC/WebPortal/co/pharo.html

Thanks for this link! I had somehow missed the webportal and this looks like the right thing for me.