How to copy full walkback trace?

TimM-3
I've had a few walkbacks now when messing around with blocks in blocks and
doesNotUnderstand - it seems that the debugger code makes certain
assumptions about protocols that aren't always true.

How do easily capture the walkback trace to send them on to Andy and Blair?
I'm looking at seeing if I can replicate with a small example (saying that,
my little play package is not that big).

Tim

Re: How to copy full walkback trace?

Ian Bartholomew-20
Tim,

> How do easily capture the walkback trace to send them on to Andy and
> Blair?

The "Copy" button in the Walkback dialog copies the stack trace to the
clipboard.

Ian

Re: How to copy full walkback trace?

Andy Bower-3
Tim,

> How do easily capture the walkback trace to send them on to Andy and
> Blair?  I'm looking at seeing if I can replicate with a small example
> (saying that, my little play package is not that big).

There is a Copy button on the walkback dialog to do just this.

Best regards,

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: How to copy full walkback trace?

TimM-3
But how do you do it if you have moved past the walkback dialog and into the
debugger? I sort of expect to see a copy command in the Debug | CallStack
menu?

Actually - I've never really understood the point of the Walkback dialog - I
just seem to automatically press the debug button to actually see the full
details of waht caused the walkback. I know many smalltalks have this
pre-dialog, but does it come from an age when it was expensive to launch a
full debugger? Everything thats in that dialog (apart from copy stack trace
;-) I seem to be able to do in the full debugger?

Tim

"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Tim,
>
>> How do easily capture the walkback trace to send them on to Andy and
>> Blair?  I'm looking at seeing if I can replicate with a small example
>> (saying that, my little play package is not that big).
>
> There is a Copy button on the walkback dialog to do just this.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Andy Bower
> Dolphin Support
> www.object-arts.com

Re: How to copy full walkback trace?

Chris Uppal-3
TimM wrote:

> But how do you do it if you have moved past the walkback dialog and into
> the debugger?

All error stack traces are copied into the .ERRORS file (in the same directory
as the image file).

Personally, I've never seen much point to the copy-stack option on the walkback
dialog.  I don't normally know whether I want a copy of the stack until I've
seen what's really going wrong, and by then it's too late...

> Actually - I've never really understood the point of the Walkback dialog

You could be in /big/ trouble if the bug is in the debugger itself (or in
anything that the debugger relies on to work) -- as has happened to me more
often than can plausibly be blamed on OA ;-)

There is an option to make the debugger appear immediately, but I don't use it
myself.  Even apart from the above consideration, hitting <return> doesn't add
a lot of overhead to the operation, and I don't always want to wait while a
full debugger appears (I may already know what's wrong, for instance, or I may
have inserted a #halt to give myself the /option/ of inspecting the state of
the process at various times).

    -- chris