How to create lines with Athens

kilon

Re: How to create lines with Athens

Igor Stasenko
i hope you satisfied with my answer.
you welcome to ask more, if you not :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: How to create lines with Athens

kilon.alios
well I just asked if there is any kind of Documentation about Athens . Or should I just read the code and ask questions ?

Igor Stasenko.

On 30 October 2013 23:02, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
well I just asked if there is any kind of Documentation about Athens . Or should I just read the code and ask questions ?

the main source of documentation right now is class comments
and tutorial.
I've spent quite of a time commenting the central classes of athens,
hope that's helpful.
Of course this does not replacement for a well written docu, and that needs to be done.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: How to create lines with Athens

Igor Stasenko
ah, yes , there's also examples in
Athens-Examples package.

On 31 October 2013 01:30, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Igor Stasenko.

Re: How to create lines with Athens

Stéphane Ducasse

On Oct 31, 2013, at 9:55 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

yes I am aware of the examples already, I am learning from them. Please note I have found a bug with Athens, which looks to me pretty major. If I save a morph using Athens

what do you mean save a morph

and reload the image,

what do you mean?

[...]

save the image while the morph is displayed, reload the image and in its place there is the big red box with the yellow X , reporting an error with Athens. I have reproduced the error on Windows too with the Athens examples. I assumed my explanation was clear , I hope its clear now.

This means that its impossible to save an image with a morph using Athens displaying and have it reload back when the image is reloaded.

On 31 October 2013 16:40, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
save the image while the morph is displayed, reload the image and in its place there is the big red box with the yellow X , reporting an error with Athens. I have reproduced the error on Windows too with the Athens examples. I assumed my explanation was clear , I hope its clear now.

no. not clear. which morph? what class, how you using it etc.
I have morphs which using Athens for drawing and i can save and load image back and i don't have red squares of death.

This means that its impossible to save an image with a morph using Athens displaying and have it reload back when the image is reloaded.

The athens-surface, especially cairo surface is valid only within a single session.
if you boot new image, you must recreate (or stop using) surface you used in previous session.
Otherwise you will have red box of doom.

And while i agree that this is pretty major problem (in terms of making your morph to be session-aware
and in terms of managing external resources) i am far from calling it a bug of Athens of any kind per se.

[...]

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: How to create lines with Athens

abergel
I face the same situation... Would be great to fix this

Alexandre

On Oct 31, 2013, at 12:40 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> save the image while the morph is displayed, reload the image and in its place there is the big red box with the yellow X , reporting an error with Athens. I have reproduced the error on Windows too with the Athens examples. I assumed my explanation was clear , I hope its clear now.
>
> This means that its impossible to save an image with a morph using Athens displaying and have it reload back when the image is reloaded.
>

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Oct 31, 2013, at 9:55 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> yes I am aware of the examples already, I am learning from them. Please note I have found a bug with Athens, which looks to me pretty major. If I save a morph using Athens
>
> what do you mean save a morph
>
>> and reload the image,
>
> what do you mean?
>

>> I see the red box of doom. For example trying your example from stackoverflow. Are you aware of this bug ?
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 2:43 AM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ah, yes , there's also examples in
>> Athens-Examples package.
>>

>> On 31 October 2013 01:30, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 30 October 2013 23:02, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> well I just asked if there is any kind of Documentation about Athens . Or should I just read the code and ask questions ?
>>

>> the main source of documentation right now is class comments
>> and tutorial.
>> I've spent quite of a time commenting the central classes of athens,
>> hope that's helpful.
>> Of course this does not replacement for a well written docu, and that needs to be done.
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> i hope you satisfied with my answer.
>> you welcome to ask more, if you not :)
>>

>> On 30 October 2013 22:32, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19694197/how-to-create-lines-with-athens
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko.
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko.
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: How to create lines with Athens

Nicolas Cellier
It's normal that external resources don't survive a snapshot, whatever format.
But it's well behaved to try to re-allocate resources on resurrection.
As a dumb user, I would expect this to happen automatically under the hood, because I would consider that a surface/pixmap or whatever resource is implied in displaying/handling the graphics is an implementation detail which I should not care of at my own level.
The library could provide hook for accessing these low level details in rare cases when user want special optimization, but should hide them otherwise.

2013/10/31 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>
I face the same situation... Would be great to fix this

Alexandre

On Oct 31, 2013, at 12:40 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> save the image while the morph is displayed, reload the image and in its place there is the big red box with the yellow X , reporting an error with Athens. I have reproduced the error on Windows too with the Athens examples. I assumed my explanation was clear , I hope its clear now.
>
> This means that its impossible to save an image with a morph using Athens displaying and have it reload back when the image is reloaded.
>

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Oct 31, 2013, at 9:55 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> yes I am aware of the examples already, I am learning from them. Please note I have found a bug with Athens, which looks to me pretty major. If I save a morph using Athens
>
> what do you mean save a morph
>
>> and reload the image,
>
> what do you mean?
>

>> I see the red box of doom. For example trying your example from stackoverflow. Are you aware of this bug ?
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 2:43 AM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ah, yes , there's also examples in
>> Athens-Examples package.
>>

>> On 31 October 2013 01:30, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 30 October 2013 23:02, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> well I just asked if there is any kind of Documentation about Athens . Or should I just read the code and ask questions ?
>>

>> the main source of documentation right now is class comments
>> and tutorial.
>> I've spent quite of a time commenting the central classes of athens,
>> hope that's helpful.
>> Of course this does not replacement for a well written docu, and that needs to be done.
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> i hope you satisfied with my answer.
>> you welcome to ask more, if you not :)
>>

>> On 30 October 2013 22:32, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19694197/how-to-create-lines-with-athens
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko.
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko.
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: How to create lines with Athens

abergel
> It's normal that external resources don't survive a snapshot, whatever format.

Maybe normal from the implementation point of view, but clearly not ideal. Firefox heavily depends on external resources, including Cairo, and do not face the same problem.

Alexandre

> [...]
> >> ah, yes , there's also examples in
> >> Athens-Examples package.
> >>

> >> On 31 October 2013 01:30, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> On 30 October 2013 23:02, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> well I just asked if there is any kind of Documentation about Athens . Or should I just read the code and ask questions ?
> >>

> >> the main source of documentation right now is class comments
> >> and tutorial.
> >> I've spent quite of a time commenting the central classes of athens,
> >> hope that's helpful.
> >> Of course this does not replacement for a well written docu, and that needs to be done.
> >>

> >> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> i hope you satisfied with my answer.
> >> you welcome to ask more, if you not :)

Guys, lets clear out the responsibilities:

Athens, as a framework has nothing to do with resource management,
because it is not responsibility of framework to know when/where to allocate or deallocate resources, this is responsibility of application to manage that.
An Athens surface is resource, which can and should be managed by application
which using it, not by Athens itself.
(by analogy, do you expect that Socket class opens and closes sockets itself,
leaving application designers to deal only with incoming/outgoing data?)

As you may know, Athens are not fully integrated with Morphic
only partially and layer which will be doing seamless (re)allocation is certainly
belongs not to Athens, but to Morphic (application level), once we will have full integration of rendering
to replace old Canvas.
At current stage, this (resource management) is not something which automagically available and so, you should to take care of it by yourself.

You can look how it is done in number of examples, where its implemented:
 - AthensSceneView>>checkSession
 - AthensWrapMorph>>checkSurface

On 31 October 2013 19:00, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's normal that external resources don't survive a snapshot, whatever format.

Maybe normal from the implementation point of view, but clearly not ideal. Firefox heavily depends on external resources, including Cairo, and do not face the same problem.

Alexandre

> But it's well behaved to try to re-allocate resources on resurrection.
> As a dumb user, I would expect this to happen automatically under the hood, because I would consider that a surface/pixmap or whatever resource is implied in displaying/handling the graphics is an implementation detail which I should not care of at my own level.

But you are not dumb user. You are application-level developer (from perspective of Athens). Athens is not an end-user UI framework, it is graphics framework,
which several levels lower than any UI/application and thus it is far far away from imaginary
'dumb' user who sits before display and pressing his fat fingers on touchscreen,
and screaming in horror when seeing big red rectangle.