How to debug code using DynamicVariable?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to debug code using DynamicVariable?

NorbertHartl
In my code I'm using a DynamicVariable to request a context object when needed. Until now I knew the name DynamicVariable only from seaside. There it is called WADynamicVariable and it is an exception. So I blindly assumed the pharo DynamicVariable works the same.
I thought this might be a good optimization not to travel the stack all the time but put in the process.
Now that I am using it I can see the difference. I find it real hard using it because I don't know how to debug/step in code. DynamicVariable is a process specific variable but as soon as a debugger opens it is very likely to be in another process. This makes stepping in method using the DynamicVariable impossible. The only way round is to set break points after the dynamic lookup and step from there. But this feels just wrong.
What would be the best way to have DynamicVariable and be able to debug anything? Or is there a variant that uses the stack instead of the "active" process?

thanks,

Norbert

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to debug code using DynamicVariable?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Your analysis is correct: DynamicVariables are hard to impossible to debug, the debugger always runs in another process. I don't think there is a solution here (maybe let the debugger process copy/share the binding ?) apart from what you suggest: make sure you enter the debugger after the lookup and assignment of the value to a local variable.

server := ZnCurrentServer value.

Still, I find DynamicVariables very useful, especially architecture/design-wise.

On 23 Jun 2014, at 13:50, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my code I'm using a DynamicVariable to request a context object when needed. Until now I knew the name DynamicVariable only from seaside. There it is called WADynamicVariable and it is an exception. So I blindly assumed the pharo DynamicVariable works the same.
> I thought this might be a good optimization not to travel the stack all the time but put in the process.
> Now that I am using it I can see the difference. I find it real hard using it because I don't know how to debug/step in code. DynamicVariable is a process specific variable but as soon as a debugger opens it is very likely to be in another process. This makes stepping in method using the DynamicVariable impossible. The only way round is to set break points after the dynamic lookup and step from there. But this feels just wrong.
> What would be the best way to have DynamicVariable and be able to debug anything? Or is there a variant that uses the stack instead of the "active" process?
>
> thanks,
>
> Norbert

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl

Am 23.06.2014 um 14:03 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:

> Your analysis is correct: DynamicVariables are hard to impossible to debug, the debugger always runs in another process. I don't think there is a solution here (maybe let the debugger process copy/share the binding ?) apart from what you suggest: make sure you enter the debugger after the lookup and assignment of the value to a local variable.
>
>  server := ZnCurrentServer value.
>
> Still, I find DynamicVariables very useful, especially architecture/design-wise.

Agreed, I find context sensitive programming important because I don't like global state and you can solve this particular problem very easy. But I like the exception based dynamic variable much more. There the dynamic value is stored in a MethodContext which is a proper place for it. A process being only a runtime decorator for a stack is asking for trouble. Everything that copies/references the stack is suspect to produce errors. Of course the process variables are a lot faster. Don't know if a hybrid solution could work here.

Norbert

>
> On 23 Jun 2014, at 13:50, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> In my code I'm using a DynamicVariable to request a context object when needed. Until now I knew the name DynamicVariable only from seaside. There it is called WADynamicVariable and it is an exception. So I blindly assumed the pharo DynamicVariable works the same.
>> I thought this might be a good optimization not to travel the stack all the time but put in the process.
>> Now that I am using it I can see the difference. I find it real hard using it because I don't know how to debug/step in code. DynamicVariable is a process specific variable but as soon as a debugger opens it is very likely to be in another process. This makes stepping in method using the DynamicVariable impossible. The only way round is to set break points after the dynamic lookup and step from there. But this feels just wrong.
>> What would be the best way to have DynamicVariable and be able to debug anything? Or is there a variant that uses the stack instead of the "active" process?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Norbert
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Esteban A. Maringolo
In reply to this post by Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Norbert, I share the same feelings you have.

And couldn't find any other way of dealing with them, other than doing
the same thing Sven suggests.

Regards!
Esteban A. Maringolo

2014-06-23 9:03 GMT-03:00 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:

> Your analysis is correct: DynamicVariables are hard to impossible to debug, the debugger always runs in another process. I don't think there is a solution here (maybe let the debugger process copy/share the binding ?) apart from what you suggest: make sure you enter the debugger after the lookup and assignment of the value to a local variable.
>
>   server := ZnCurrentServer value.
>
> Still, I find DynamicVariables very useful, especially architecture/design-wise.
>
> On 23 Jun 2014, at 13:50, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> In my code I'm using a DynamicVariable to request a context object when needed. Until now I knew the name DynamicVariable only from seaside. There it is called WADynamicVariable and it is an exception. So I blindly assumed the pharo DynamicVariable works the same.
>> I thought this might be a good optimization not to travel the stack all the time but put in the process.
>> Now that I am using it I can see the difference. I find it real hard using it because I don't know how to debug/step in code. DynamicVariable is a process specific variable but as soon as a debugger opens it is very likely to be in another process. This makes stepping in method using the DynamicVariable impossible. The only way round is to set break points after the dynamic lookup and step from there. But this feels just wrong.
>> What would be the best way to have DynamicVariable and be able to debug anything? Or is there a variant that uses the stack instead of the "active" process?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Norbert
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
In reply to this post by NorbertHartl
Hi Norbert,

it is the debugger that needs fixing, not your code !! :-).  The debugger needs to respect process identity.  Andreas and I (mostly Andreas) came up with the following changes at Qwaq.  Your message is a good reminder that I need to add this to Squeak asap.

The idea is for Process to have an additional inst var 'effectiveProcess' that holds the actual process running code.  For the most part this is self, but in the debugger we substitute the process being debugged:

Process methods for accessing
effectiveProcess
"effectiveProcess is a mechanism to allow process-faithful debugging.  The debugger executes code
on behalf of processes, so unless some effort is made the identity of Processor activeProcess is not
correctly maintained when debugging code.  The debugger uses evaluate:onBehalfOf: to assign the
debugged process as the effectiveProcess of the process executing the code, preserving process
identity."
^effectiveProcess ifNil: [self]

then the relevant methods in Process and processorScheduler defer to effectiveProcess, e.g.

ProcessorScheduler methods for process state change
terminateActive
"Terminate the process that is currently running."

activeProcess effectiveProcess terminate

and the debugging methods use evaluate:onBehalfOf: to install the process being debugged:

Process methods for private
evaluate: aBlock onBehalfOf: aProcess
"Evaluate aBlock setting effectiveProcess to aProcess.  Used
in the execution simulation machinery to ensure that
Processor activeProcess evaluates correctly when debugging."
| oldEffectiveProcess |
oldEffectiveProcess := effectiveProcess.
effectiveProcess := aProcess.
^aBlock ensure: [effectiveProcess := oldEffectiveProcess]

Process methods for changing suspended state
step

^Processor activeProcess
evaluate: [suspendedContext := suspendedContext step]
onBehalfOf: self

stepToCallee
"Step until top context changes"

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
ctxt := suspendedContext.
[ctxt == suspendedContext] whileTrue: [
suspendedContext := suspendedContext step]]
onBehalfOf: self.
^suspendedContext

etc.  Changes from a Qwaq image attached.

HTH

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 4:50 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
In my code I'm using a DynamicVariable to request a context object when needed. Until now I knew the name DynamicVariable only from seaside. There it is called WADynamicVariable and it is an exception. So I blindly assumed the pharo DynamicVariable works the same.
I thought this might be a good optimization not to travel the stack all the time but put in the process.
Now that I am using it I can see the difference. I find it real hard using it because I don't know how to debug/step in code. DynamicVariable is a process specific variable but as soon as a debugger opens it is very likely to be in another process. This makes stepping in method using the DynamicVariable impossible. The only way round is to set break points after the dynamic lookup and step from there. But this feels just wrong.
What would be the best way to have DynamicVariable and be able to debug anything? Or is there a variant that uses the stack instead of the "active" process?

thanks,

Norbert

--
best,
Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
oops.  I guess I hsould add those changes ;-)

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Norbert,

it is the debugger that needs fixing, not your code !! :-).  The debugger needs to respect process identity.  Andreas and I (mostly Andreas) came up with the following changes at Qwaq.  Your message is a good reminder that I need to add this to Squeak asap.

The idea is for Process to have an additional inst var 'effectiveProcess' that holds the actual process running code.  For the most part this is self, but in the debugger we substitute the process being debugged:

effectiveProcess
"effectiveProcess is a mechanism to allow process-faithful debugging.  The debugger executes code
on behalf of processes, so unless some effort is made the identity of Processor activeProcess is not
correctly maintained when debugging code.  The debugger uses evaluate:onBehalfOf: to assign the
debugged process as the effectiveProcess of the process executing the code, preserving process
identity."

then the relevant methods in Process and processorScheduler defer to effectiveProcess, e.g.

terminateActive

and the debugging methods use evaluate:onBehalfOf: to install the process being debugged:

| oldEffectiveProcess |

step

^Processor activeProcess

stepToCallee

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
^suspendedContext

HTH

thanks,

Norbert

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

effectiveProcessMethods.st (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Norbert,

[ let me try again.  never try and get code out too early in the morning ;-) ]

effectiveProcess
 identity."

terminateActive

| oldEffectiveProcess |

step

^Processor activeProcess

stepToCallee

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
^suspendedContext

HTH

thanks,

Norbert

--
best,
Eliot

effectiveProcessMethods.st (12K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
and here are the changes I've just committed to Squeak trunk.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Norbert,

effectiveProcess
 identity."

terminateActive

| oldEffectiveProcess |

step

^Processor activeProcess

stepToCallee

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
^suspendedContext

HTH

thanks,

Norbert

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

trunk4.6EffectiveProcessMethods.st (9K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

stepharo
Thanks Eliot.
Sven, Norbert if you package that nicely (BTW having some tests would be great) we can include that in 4.0

Stef
On 23/6/14 19:29, Eliot Miranda wrote:

Hi Norbert,

effectiveProcess
 identity."

terminateActive

| oldEffectiveProcess |

step

^Processor activeProcess

stepToCallee

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
^suspendedContext

HTH

thanks,

Norbert

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
In reply to this post by Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Eliot,

thank you very much. I imported your changes in a pharo 3 image and it works awesome. So I'm preparing a slice for pharo. 

Thanks again, a very annoying problem seems to be solved,

Norbert

Am 23.06.2014 um 19:29 schrieb Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>:

Hi Norbert,

effectiveProcess
 identity."

terminateActive

| oldEffectiveProcess |

step

^Processor activeProcess

stepToCallee

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
^suspendedContext

HTH

thanks,

Norbert

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot
<trunk4.6EffectiveProcessMethods.st>

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eliot,

thank you very much. I imported your changes in a pharo 3 image and it works awesome. So I'm preparing a slice for pharo. 

glad to hear it, and thanks for your prompting me as it's now in Squeak trunk too.

Norbert

Hi Norbert,

effectiveProcess
 identity."

terminateActive

| oldEffectiveProcess |

step

^Processor activeProcess

stepToCallee

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
^suspendedContext

HTH

thanks,

Norbert

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
Hmmm,

I'm trying to write a test for it and I wonder why 

testDynamicVariableAccessFromDifferentProcess
| process  sem1 result    |
sem1 := Semaphore new.
process := [  
TestDynamicVariable 
value: 123 
during: [ sem1 wait ] ] fork.
Processor activeProcess 
evaluate: [  result := TestDynamicVariable value ] 
onBehalfOf: process.
sem1 signal.
self assert: result = 123

does not work. The variable accessing is in 

DynamicVariable>>#value: anObject during: aBlock
| p oldValue |
p := Processor activeProcess.
oldValue := (p psValueAt: index) ifNil: [ self default ].
^ [ 
p psValueAt: index put: anObject.
aBlock value ] ensure: [ p psValueAt: index put: oldValue ]

Any ideas?

Norbert

Am 23.06.2014 um 21:29 schrieb Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>:

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eliot,

glad to hear it, and thanks for your prompting me as it's now in Squeak trunk too.

Norbert

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Eliot Miranda<[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Norbert,

effectiveProcess
 identity."

terminateActive

| oldEffectiveProcess |

step

^Processor activeProcess

stepToCallee

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
^suspendedContext

HTH

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 4:50 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>wrote:

thanks,

Norbert

-- 
best,
Eliot

-- 
best,
Eliot

-- 
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Nicolas Cellier

2014-06-23 22:38 GMT+02:00 Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:
Hmmm,

TestDynamicVariable 
Processor activeProcess 
sem1 signal.

| p oldValue |
^ [ 

Any ideas?

But what happens when you immediately fork, are you sure the forked process immediately pre-empts the activeProcess?
What if you introduce Processor activeProcess yield after the fork?

Norbert

Hi Eliot,

Norbert

Hi Norbert,

effectiveProcess
 identity."

terminateActive

| oldEffectiveProcess |

step

^Processor activeProcess

stepToCallee

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
^suspendedContext

HTH

thanks,

Norbert

-- 
best,
Eliot

-- 
best,
Eliot

-- 
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Nicolas Cellier

2014-06-23 22:50 GMT+02:00 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:

Hmmm,

TestDynamicVariable 
Processor activeProcess 
sem1 signal.

| p oldValue |
^ [ 

Any ideas?

But what happens when you immediately fork, are you sure the forked process immediately pre-empts the activeProcess?

Ah, I just tried, it's Processor yield.

[Transcript cr; show: 'A' ] fork.
Processor yield.
Transcript cr; show: 'B' .

produces the required transcripting order.
Without yielding, B comes before A.

Norbert

Hi Eliot,

Norbert

Hi Norbert,

effectiveProcess
 identity."

terminateActive

| oldEffectiveProcess |

step

^Processor activeProcess

stepToCallee

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
^suspendedContext

HTH

thanks,

Norbert

-- 
best,
Eliot

-- 
best,
Eliot

-- 
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl

Am 23.06.2014 um 23:20 schrieb Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:

2014-06-23 22:50 GMT+02:00 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:

Hmmm,

TestDynamicVariable 
Processor activeProcess 
sem1 signal.

| p oldValue |
^ [ 

Any ideas?

Ah, I just tried, it's Processor yield.

[Transcript cr; show: 'A' ] fork.
Processor yield.
Transcript cr; show: 'B' .

produces the required transcripting order.
Without yielding, B comes before A.

I knew it was something simple I forgot. 

Thank you very much,

Norbert

Norbert

Hi Eliot,

Norbert

Hi Norbert,

effectiveProcess
 identity."

terminateActive

| oldEffectiveProcess |

step

^Processor activeProcess

stepToCallee

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
^suspendedContext

HTH

thanks,

Norbert

-- 
best,
Eliot

-- 
best,
Eliot

-- 
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
In reply to this post by stepharo
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?13378

Btw. I tested this as well in 3.0 and a backport would be highly appreciated.

Norbert

Am 23.06.2014 um 20:08 schrieb stepharo <[hidden email]>:

Thanks Eliot.
Sven, Norbert if you package that nicely (BTW having some tests would be great) we can include that in 4.0

Stef

Hi Norbert,

effectiveProcess
 identity."

terminateActive

| oldEffectiveProcess |

step

^Processor activeProcess

stepToCallee

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
^suspendedContext

HTH

thanks,

Norbert

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
The slice cannot be integrated automatically because there is a modal popping up

Warning: Process should not be redefined. Proceed to store over it.

Not sure what to do. Manual integration?

Norbert

Am 23.06.2014 um 23:55 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:

Norbert

Thanks Eliot.

Stef

Hi Norbert,

effectiveProcess
 identity."

terminateActive

| oldEffectiveProcess |

step

^Processor activeProcess

stepToCallee

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
^suspendedContext

HTH

thanks,

Norbert

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 3:04 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
The slice cannot be integrated automatically because there is a modal popping up

Can you not wrap that in "[] valueSupplyingAnswer: true" ? 

Norbert

Norbert

Thanks Eliot.

Stef

Hi Norbert,

effectiveProcess
 identity."

terminateActive

| oldEffectiveProcess |

step

^Processor activeProcess

stepToCallee

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
^suspendedContext

HTH

thanks,

Norbert

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

stepharo

We will check that :)

Norbert

Norbert

Thanks Eliot.

Stef

Hi Norbert,

effectiveProcess
 identity."

terminateActive

| oldEffectiveProcess |

step

^Processor activeProcess

stepToCallee

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
^suspendedContext

HTH

thanks,

Norbert

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
In reply to this post by Eliot Miranda-2

Am 24.06.2014 um 00:27 schrieb Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>:

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 3:04 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can you not wrap that in "[] valueSupplyingAnswer: true" ? 

Sure. But I can only provide the monticello package and this code needs to go into the build process. Right? I just wanted to say it early. I think the guys know how to treat it. If there is anything I can do....

Norbert
Norbert

Norbert

Thanks Eliot.

Stef

Hi Norbert,

effectiveProcess
 identity."

terminateActive

| oldEffectiveProcess |

step

^Processor activeProcess

stepToCallee

Processor activeProcess
evaluate:
[| ctxt |
^suspendedContext

HTH

thanks,

Norbert

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot