How to detect an inactive image?

NorbertHartl
At the moment I have several projects in parallel. Nearly all of them are web based. I use a cherokee server on my local machine that starts a squeak image whenever I access a project via web browser. For persistency I use piers image based persistency. But I don't want to have all of the images run all the time. I would like to shutdown images if they aren't accessed for some time.
I could do it via seaside but then I don't want an image to shutdown while I'm working on the image and not accessing seaside. What is a good measure of activity inside the image?

thanks,

Norbert

Re: How to detect an inactive image?

Stéphane Ducasse
IF you get some answers I;'m interested to know it because we are thinking about what is a VM API to monitor them.

> At the moment I have several projects in parallel. Nearly all of them are web based. I use a cherokee server on my local machine that starts a squeak image whenever I access a project via web browser. For persistency I use piers image based persistency. But I don't want to have all of the images run all the time. I would like to shutdown images if they aren't accessed for some time.
> I could do it via seaside but then I don't want an image to shutdown while I'm working on the image and not accessing seaside. What is a good measure of activity inside the image?
>
> thanks,
>
> Norbert

Re: How to detect an inactive image?

Michael Roberts-2
I guess you would need a way to sample a set of processes that were
executing what you considered activity; and ignore the ones that are
not. With some data, e.g assuming they block on semaphore when idle,
or terminate when idle, perhaps you can make a decision.  I haven't
looked, but was imagining some of the profiler framework might help
because I thought it did process sampling.

cheers,
Mike