How to display underscore characters?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

How do I manage so that underscore characters are not displayed as arrows?

--Hannes

Re: How to display underscore characters?

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Hannes,

If you want to show all undescores as such (ASCII69, Unicode, most
modern systems), everywhere, evaluate:
       StrikeFont useUnderscore

If you want to get left arrows (ASCII63, classic ST-80), evaluate:
       StrikeFont useLeftArrow

Maybe you also want to see variable assignment as := . For this evaluate:
      Preferences enable: #syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment

Note: By default, Cuis accepts underscores as assignment, and also as
part of selectors and variable names. This works independently of the
choice of the glyph to be shown. There are also preferences for
controlling this.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 5/15/2015 4:08 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Hello
>
> How do I manage so that underscore characters are not displayed as arrows?
>
> --Hannes

Re: How to display underscore characters?

Phil B
On Fri, 2015-05-15 at 10:43 -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Hannes,
>
> If you want to show all undescores as such (ASCII69, Unicode, most
> modern systems), everywhere, evaluate:
>        StrikeFont useUnderscore
>
> If you want to get left arrows (ASCII63, classic ST-80), evaluate:
>        StrikeFont useLeftArrow
>
> Maybe you also want to see variable assignment as := . For this evaluate:
>       Preferences enable: #syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment
>
> Note: By default, Cuis accepts underscores as assignment, and also as
> part of selectors and variable names. This works independently of the
> choice of the glyph to be shown. There are also preferences for
> controlling this.

A question related to this: not too long ago I had to fileout some code
that was derived from Cuis for use in a Pharo image and was surprised to
find there were quite a few places where underscore assignments are
still used in the core Squeak code... is there any way to do a mass
update to change the _ assignments to :=?

On 5/15/2015 8:38 PM, Phil (list) wrote:
> A question related to this: not too long ago I had to fileout some code
> that was derived from Cuis for use in a Pharo image and was surprised to
> find there were quite a few places where underscore assignments are
> still used in the core Squeak code... is there any way to do a mass
> update to change the _ assignments to :=?

I guess this is a good question for the Pharo list. If I remember
correctly, they did that change at once.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: How to display underscore characters?

David T. Lewis
On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 07:38:30PM -0400, Phil (list) wrote:

> On Fri, 2015-05-15 at 10:43 -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> > Hi Hannes,
> >
> > If you want to show all undescores as such (ASCII69, Unicode, most
> > modern systems), everywhere, evaluate:
> >        StrikeFont useUnderscore
> >
> > If you want to get left arrows (ASCII63, classic ST-80), evaluate:
> >        StrikeFont useLeftArrow
> >
> > Maybe you also want to see variable assignment as := . For this evaluate:
> >       Preferences enable: #syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment
> >
> > Note: By default, Cuis accepts underscores as assignment, and also as
> > part of selectors and variable names. This works independently of the
> > choice of the glyph to be shown. There are also preferences for
> > controlling this.
> >

> A question related to this: not too long ago I had to fileout some code
> that was derived from Cuis for use in a Pharo image and was surprised to
> find there were quite a few places where underscore assignments are
> still used in the core Squeak code... is there any way to do a mass
> update to change the _ assignments to :=?

Yes. Bert Freudenberg's FixUnderscores does this, and was been used for
updating the sources within Squeak. It can be found on SqueakMap:

  http://map.squeak.org/package/07bf6393-b2da-4563-8040-13e77e5e002f

SqueakMap may not be be convenient, let me know if you need a copy.

Dave