How to distribute my Linux GUI program

Louis LaBrunda

Hi All,

Can someone give me a few pointers as to how to distribute and run a GUI program on Linux (Ubuntu).  I can run my program from the folder it is packaged to and it seems to run okay when I copy the pertinent files to another folder so that looks good.  I have to double click on the file, I am then told it is an executable text file and prompted to "Run in Terminal", "Display", "Cancel" or "Run".  Is there any way to skip this window/prompt and just run the program?  Also, how do I create a shortcut/link to the file that can live on the desktop or Ubuntu launcher?

Lou

Re: How to distribute my Linux GUI program

jtuchel
Hi Lou,

the usual way to run VAST programs on Linux is by using a shell script that pretty much looks like the one that starts the VAST development environment on Linux.
If you have an installation of VAST on Linux around, look at the executable file named abt in your image directory.

I have added a shortcut icon to KDE for that shell script by hand, so I am not in a position to help you out with creating a desktop icon by some kind of installation script or the like.
Since I am deploying to a headless server and only start our server application by a shell script there, I never had to bother.

Joachim

Am Montag, 24. März 2014 23:15:10 UTC+1 schrieb Louis LaBrunda:

Hi All,

Can someone give me a few pointers as to how to distribute and run a GUI program on Linux (Ubuntu).  I can run my program from the folder it is packaged to and it seems to run okay when I copy the pertinent files to another folder so that looks good.  I have to double click on the file, I am then told it is an executable text file and prompted to "Run in Terminal", "Display", "Cancel" or "Run".  Is there any way to skip this window/prompt and just run the program?  Also, how do I create a shortcut/link to the file that can live on the desktop or Ubuntu launcher?

Lou

Re: How to distribute my Linux GUI program

Louis LaBrunda

Hi Joachim,

For now I would be happy to create a desktop shortcut/link manually.

I have tried making a link (right click) of the abt file (my program name copy made when I package the GUI program) in the same folder  but nothing happens when it runs (I think something happens like it starts but stops immediately).  If I copy/move the link to the desktop, same thing.

I have copied the abt file to the desktop but it wont work from there.

I suspect the problem to be related to the required files (like DLLs or their Linux equivalent).  I don't know where to put them or how to tell Linux or my program how to get to them.

I'm sure it is my poor knowledge of Linux/Ubuntu (Ubuntu 12.04 also seems to be different than older versions in this area) that is the problem and not VA Smalltalk.  But when I Google these things, I don't think I even guess at the right search.

Lou

Re: How to distribute my Linux GUI program

jtuchel
Louis,

the first things I'd advise you to do now:

* read the abt shell script. You'll find that most of it is not very important for most cases
* check if the paths in the script are correct (is vast really at the place the file thinks it is?)
* use the actual line that starts the image

* this is the most important step: try starting vast in a terminal window in the image directory and see what happens. Most of the times, the errors you get will be very helpful in understanding the problem

* when you were successful, change the startup shell script accordingly.

HTH

Joachim