How to email

Richard Eng
How to email How do you send email from within Seaside? That is to say, you click on the submit button of an email form and it fires off an email to the specified email address.

(Ages ago, I had a personal static webpage that contained an email form, but unfortunately I lost it and I forgot how I did it. Not that it would’ve translated well into Seaside, I suspect.)

Thanks,
Richard

Re: How to email

Michel Bany

On 02 Aug 2007, at 16:59 , Richard Eng wrote:

How do you send email from within Seaside? That is to say, you click on the submit button of an email form and it fires off an email to the specified email address.

(Ages ago, I had a personal static webpage that contained an email form, but unfortunately I lost it and I forgot how I did it. Not that it would’ve translated well into Seaside, I suspect.)

Richard,

You may want to have a look at class WAEmailConfirmation and its usages.

It is no longer in Seaside 2.8 but the corresponding know-how is still available in Seaside 2.7b1 .

Cheers,
Michel.

Re: How to email

John Thornborrow
This is what I have used in the past to send emails after a user has
completed a "contact us" form:

==
sendEmail
   from
     ifNotNil: [
       SMTPClient deliverMailFrom: from
         to: (self session application preferenceAt: #enquiriesEmail)
         text: 'Subject: ', subject,'
', body
         usingServer: (self session application preferenceAt: #mailServer).
       self redirectTo: '/home']
     ifNil: [self error: 'You have not specified a reply address'].
==

Note that the carriage return character is required between subject and
body.

Hope this helps,

John

www.pinesoft.co.uk

Michel Bany wrote:

> On 02 Aug 2007, at 16:59 , Richard Eng wrote:
>
>> How do you send email from within Seaside? That is to say, you click
>> on the submit button of an email form and it fires off an email to the
>> specified email address.
>>
>> (Ages ago, I had a personal static webpage that contained an email
>> form, but unfortunately I lost it and I forgot how I did it. Not that
>> it would’ve translated well into Seaside, I suspect.)
>>

> Richard,
>
> You may want to have a look at class WAEmailConfirmation and its usages.
>
> It is no longer in Seaside 2.8 but the corresponding know-how is still
> available in Seaside 2.7b1 .
>
> Cheers,
> Michel.

Pinesoft Computers are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA

RE: How to email

Ramon Leon-5

Here's a little blogging about it

http://blog.saush.com/?p=199

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: How to email

ching
Hi Ramon,

What SMTP server(s) do you use or recommend? Searching the SqueakMap turns up nothing on 'smtp'.  Thanks.

Ching

On 8/2/07, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Here's a little blogging about it

http://blog.saush.com/?p=199

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

RE: How to email

Ramon Leon-5

> Hi Ramon,
>
> What SMTP server(s) do you use or recommend? Searching the
> SqueakMap turns up nothing on 'smtp'.  Thanks.
>
> Ching

Your hosting environment should have a mail server you're allowed to use.  I
run my own using the built in server in windows, in linux you'd likely use
postfix or sendmail which would likely be provided by your host.

Re: How to email

ching
I have a linux proxy server and a windowsXP where I have the Seaside Squeak VM. Where should I have the mail server, on the proxy or on the windows machine?

On 8/5/07, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ramon,
>
> What SMTP server(s) do you use or recommend? Searching the
> SqueakMap turns up nothing on 'smtp'.  Thanks.
>
> Ching

Your hosting environment should have a mail server you're allowed to use.  I
run my own using the built in server in windows, in linux you'd likely use
postfix or sendmail which would likely be provided by your host.

Re: How to email

Patrick Collison
On 05/08/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a linux proxy server and a windowsXP where I have the Seaside Squeak
> VM. Where should I have the mail server, on the proxy or on the windows
> machine?

You probably don't want to run an SMTP server within Squeak itself.
You could run one on either the Windows machine or on the Linux box,
but it's likely to be easier to set up on the Linux machine (there's a
good chance that it comes preinstalled).

> On 8/5/07, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Ramon,
> > >
> > > What SMTP server(s) do you use or recommend? Searching the
> > > SqueakMap turns up nothing on 'smtp'.  Thanks.
> > >
> > > Ching
> >
> > Your hosting environment should have a mail server you're allowed to use.
> > run my own using the built in server in windows, in linux you'd likely use
> > postfix or sendmail which would likely be provided by your host.

Re: How to email

ching
Thanks Patrick

On 8/5/07, Patrick Collison <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/08/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a linux proxy server and a windowsXP where I have the Seaside Squeak
> VM. Where should I have the mail server, on the proxy or on the windows
> machine?

You probably don't want to run an SMTP server within Squeak itself.
You could run one on either the Windows machine or on the Linux box,
but it's likely to be easier to set up on the Linux machine (there's a
good chance that it comes preinstalled).

> On 8/5/07, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Ramon,
> > >
> > > What SMTP server(s) do you use or recommend? Searching the
> > > SqueakMap turns up nothing on 'smtp'.  Thanks.
> > >
> > > Ching
> >
> > Your hosting environment should have a mail server you're allowed to use.
> > run my own using the built in server in windows, in linux you'd likely use
> > postfix or sendmail which would likely be provided by your host.

Re: How to email

ching
When I tried evaluating this from a workspace

MailSender setSmtpServer.
SeasidePlatformSupport deliverMailFrom: '<fromEmail>'
to: #('<toEmail>')
text: 'Subject: Hello from SeasidePlatformSupport!
Sending from SeasidePlatformSupport'.

I got an error message: 'Could not resolve the server named: mercury.exe'

On 8/5/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Patrick

On 8/5/07, Patrick Collison <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/08/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a linux proxy server and a windowsXP where I have the Seaside Squeak
> VM. Where should I have the mail server, on the proxy or on the windows
> machine?

You probably don't want to run an SMTP server within Squeak itself.
You could run one on either the Windows machine or on the Linux box,
but it's likely to be easier to set up on the Linux machine (there's a
good chance that it comes preinstalled).

> On 8/5/07, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Ramon,
> > >
> > > What SMTP server(s) do you use or recommend? Searching the
> > > SqueakMap turns up nothing on 'smtp'.  Thanks.
> > >
> > > Ching
> >
> > Your hosting environment should have a mail server you're allowed to use.
> > run my own using the built in server in windows, in linux you'd likely use
> > postfix or sendmail which would likely be provided by your host.

> > [hidden email]

Re: How to email

ching
Looking over the debug window, I noticed that hostIP and hostAddress had nil values. Obviously, MailSender is unable to access these variables from the smtpServer. I had set the values on the two SMTP Servers that I tested (Argosoft and Mercury). Nothing seems to work. Can anyone help?

On 8/6/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I tried evaluating this from a workspace

MailSender setSmtpServer.
SeasidePlatformSupport deliverMailFrom: '<fromEmail>'
to: #('<toEmail>')
text: 'Subject: Hello from SeasidePlatformSupport!
Sending from SeasidePlatformSupport'.

I got an error message: 'Could not resolve the server named: mercury.exe'

On 8/5/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Patrick

On 8/5/07, Patrick Collison <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/08/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a linux proxy server and a windowsXP where I have the Seaside Squeak
> VM. Where should I have the mail server, on the proxy or on the windows
> machine?

You probably don't want to run an SMTP server within Squeak itself.
You could run one on either the Windows machine or on the Linux box,
but it's likely to be easier to set up on the Linux machine (there's a
good chance that it comes preinstalled).

> On 8/5/07, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Ramon,
> > >
> > > What SMTP server(s) do you use or recommend? Searching the
> > > SqueakMap turns up nothing on 'smtp'.  Thanks.
> > >
> > > Ching
> >
> > Your hosting environment should have a mail server you're allowed to use.
> > run my own using the built in server in windows, in linux you'd likely use
> > postfix or sendmail which would likely be provided by your host.

> > [hidden email]

Re: How to email

Patrick Collison
On 06/08/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Looking over the debug window, I noticed that hostIP and hostAddress had nil
> values. Obviously, MailSender is unable to access these variables from the
> smtpServer. I had set the values on the two SMTP Servers that I tested
> (Argosoft and Mercury). Nothing seems to work. Can anyone help?

The smtpServer variable should store the address of the server (or a
DNS name that resolves to it), not the name of the MTA software you're
using. Try using 127.0.0.1 instead.

> On 8/6/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > When I tried evaluating this from a workspace
> >
> > MailSender setSmtpServer.
> > SeasidePlatformSupport deliverMailFrom: '<fromEmail>'
> > to: #('<toEmail>')
> > text: 'Subject: Hello from SeasidePlatformSupport!
> > Sending from SeasidePlatformSupport'.
> >
> > I got an error message: 'Could not resolve the server named: mercury.exe'
> >

> > On 8/5/07, Ching de la Serna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Thanks Patrick

> Squeak
> windows

> to use.
> likely use

Re: How to email

ching
Thanks Patrick. The error messages are gone. However, I must now figure out how to get past my router's firewall which seems to be blocking the packets.

Ching