How to embed VSE application into Pharo

Lorenzo
How to embed VSE application into Pharo

Hi,

I am a very old Smalltalk user; I have developed TONS of application with Digitalk’s VSE; some of them are used by more hundreds clients.

Can you tell me if there is any possibility to embed my VSE applications into Pharo without rewriting them?

My goal would be to use Pharo for my new applications without loose the old ones and to interact with old ones in Pharo.

Many thanks for your answer

Lorenzo

Re: How to embed VSE application into Pharo

Davide Grandi-2

Hi Lorenzo,

Nice to meet you again, after some tens of years.

AS you may remember I've ported, ... 20 years ago ..., a Digitalk VOS/2 big app to
Visualage/Windows. Using an Apple Smalltalk as intermediate host.

As you can figure, it was mainly a syntax work, i.e. :
- working out an Apple Smalltalk loading-only version of VOS2 app
- working out an Apple Smalltalk loading-only version of a Visualage app visual components (cw* only) structure
- writing all the "stub" classes needed on both sides (VOS2 and Visualage) to load the core components without
  syntax or hierarchical error
- defining, in both sides, a set of class dictionary to let the other side globals at least declare ...
- writing 2 set of "switching" methods : one that calls VOS/2 UI building methods, one for Visualage UI building methods

(describing it now, it sounds as a daunting task : but I were a young-to-senior programmer, with lot of
 nights to spare ... to escape from OS/2 ...).

It worked with a reasonable effort. Maybe I could avoid the intermediate Apple Smalltalk ...
... but I were very fast at programming with Apple Smalltalk.

Back to your migration path :

- take _your_ equivalent structure of Pharo application visual architecture (aka the View)
- write the Pharo equivalent of VSE Control classes and UI build methods (paired, perhaps. With coinciding names except for some prefix).
- fire your simplest app and adapt your classes and methods unless it works
- apply the changes to all your View and Control classes until they all work

(as an afterthought, with a "modern" eye : is an horror story. Nobody will follow you om my path.
 But 20 years ago it worked with a 700+ classes app ... still sold today.
 If there's another path I'm very very interested ...)

Best regards,

    Davide Grandi

Ing. Davide Grandi
email  : [hidden email]

R: How to embed VSE application into Pharo

Lorenzo
How to embed VSE application into Pharo

Hi Davide,

nice hearing you!

Thank you for your fast answer; as a matter of fact I do not want to transform my VSE code into Pharo code.

What I was thinking of  was the possibility (from inside Pharo) to call and start VSE, in such a way that VSE is a different task.

I have already verified that from VSE I can call Pharo and this is a quite satisfactory solution but I would like to implement something more interactive, starting from Pharo (that should be my first choice programming) instead of VSE.

By the way: I have implemented a fuzzy environment for creating expert systems named FuzzyWorld (you can see at my site www.edor.it, unfortunately in Italian) and I have got some interesting, real results both in Italy and abroad.

I would like to port it to Pharo; can you address me to somebody who could be interested to applications of this type?

Many thanks!!

Ciao