How to export multiple Pharo packages to VW

How to export multiple Pharo packages to VW

Stephan Eggermont-2
The VW5PackageExporter allows the exporting of a package to the VW xml based fileout format.
I've adapted the code to be less Seaside-specific, and am now able to export one package (Parasol-Core).
If I try to export another package (Parasol-Tests), which depends on the earlier one, it fails to load.
It can't resolve the dependency to a superclass defined in Parasol-Core.
I've seen that Roassal puts all Pharo packages into one VW package. That would work, but is not very
nice. A package in VW doesn't seem to register its dependencies in a fileout. Would creating a parcel
help, or should I try something on basis of RPackage?

Stephan

Re: How to export multiple Pharo packages to VW

abergel
> I've seen that Roassal puts all Pharo packages into one VW package. That would work, but is not very
> nice. A package in VW doesn't seem to register its dependencies in a fileout. Would creating a parcel
> help, or should I try something on basis of RPackage?

Indeed, this is not great at all...
Maybe Dale has something that work out of the box. However, it has to go away from the squeaksource model as far as I understand.

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: How to export multiple Pharo packages to VW

Dale Henrichs
Stephan,

You should be able to use FileTree[1] to export data from Pharo and then use STIG[2] to import the data into VW ... I would use git to manage the repository and create a VW branch to manage your VW-specific changes ... you will likely need to hand massage the code base to get it to load into VW, but given that you're dealing with text files, that's  doable ...

I haven't had time to experiment directly with this path, but it is intended to work and you should file issues with both projects if you run into issues ... at ESUG this year we talked about some new features of the Cypress format[3] that would make porting easier but they haven't been implemented yet ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/filetree
[2] https://github.com/CampSmalltalk/STIG
[3] https://github.com/CampSmalltalk/Cypress