How to force selection update in the debugger?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to force selection update in the debugger?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

I submitted a run until feature for the debugger to the Squeak inbox recently and would commit it to trunk except that I'd like the option of having the selection update on each step.  But I can't see how to do that.  I *think* selection update is done with a callback here in Debugger>>contents:selection:

Smalltalk isMorphic ifTrue:
[World
addAlarm: #changed:
withArguments: #(contentsSelection)
for: self
at: (Time millisecondClockValue + 200)].

And I'm not sure how this causes the selection to update.  Is it part of text morph draw or a separate thing?  This is too convoluted to look through.  So perhaps someone can help e.  If I want the selection to redraw what's the minimum action necessary.  This is as part of a loop that looks like

[self selectedContext == context
and: [(value := receiver with: context executeMethod: method) == false]] whileTrue:
[self doStep].

i.e. after the doStep I'd like to force the code pane to update its selection.

AdvThanksance
--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to force selection update in the debugger?

Bob Arning-2
This works for me:

doStepSeveral

10 timesRepeat: [
        self doStep.
        self changed: #contentsSelection.
        World displayWorldSafely.
        (Delay forMilliseconds: 100) wait.    "in case you want to see each step"
    ]

Cheers,
Bob

On 11/14/12 1:26 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
Hi All,

I submitted a run until feature for the debugger to the Squeak inbox recently and would commit it to trunk except that I'd like the option of having the selection update on each step.  But I can't see how to do that.  I *think* selection update is done with a callback here in Debugger>>contents:selection:

[World

And I'm not sure how this causes the selection to update.  Is it part of text morph draw or a separate thing?  This is too convoluted to look through.  So perhaps someone can help e.  If I want the selection to redraw what's the minimum action necessary.  This is as part of a loop that looks like

and: [(value := receiver with: context executeMethod: method) == false]] whileTrue:
[self doStep].

AdvThanksance
--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Bob,

thanks, but no thanks <blush>.  I want to see the update as fast as possible, even if it flickers like crazy.  I don't want to display the whole world, just the text morph in question. 

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:
This works for me:

doStepSeveral

self doStep.
    ]

Cheers,
Bob

Hi All,

[World

[self doStep].

AdvThanksance
--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Bert Freudenberg
But this is how Morphic drawing works. If only your text morph changed, then only that morph will be redrawn. And since no events are processed in that loop, this should be the case.

- Bert -

On 15.11.2012, at 09:16, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Bob,

thanks, but no thanks <blush>.  I want to see the update as fast as possible, even if it flickers like crazy.  I don't want to display the whole world, just the text morph in question. 

This works for me:

doStepSeveral

self doStep.
    ]

Cheers,
Bob

Hi All,

[World

[self doStep].

AdvThanksance
--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Bob Arning-2
In reply to this post by Eliot Miranda-2
If you want speed, then why not limit the visual updates to something you can see:

doStepSeveral

| n t lastDisplay |
    t := [
        (n := 500) timesRepeat: [
            self doStep.
        ].
    ] timeToRun.
    Transcript show: t asString,' ms for ',n asString,' steps without display'; cr.

self doStep.
        ].
    ] timeToRun.
    Transcript show: t asString,' ms for ',n asString,' steps with display'; cr.

lastDisplay := Time millisecondClockValue.
            self doStep.
            (lastDisplay - Time millisecondClockValue) abs > 20 ifTrue: [
            ].
        ].
    ] timeToRun.
    Transcript show: t asString,' ms for ',n asString,' steps with occasional display'; cr.

yields:

68 ms for 500 steps without display
4290 ms for 500 steps with display
101 ms for 500 steps with occasional display

Cheers,
Bob

On 11/15/12 3:16 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
Hi Bob,

This works for me:

doStepSeveral

self doStep.
    ]

Cheers,
Bob

Hi All,

[World

[self doStep].

AdvThanksance
--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
Thanks, Bob.  I'll try the occasional approach.  That indeed seems to do what I want.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 5:40 AM, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you want speed, then why not limit the visual updates to something you can see:

doStepSeveral

| n t lastDisplay |
            self doStep.
        ].
    ] timeToRun.
    Transcript show: t asString,' ms for ',n asString,' steps without display'; cr.

self doStep.
        ].
    ] timeToRun.
    Transcript show: t asString,' ms for ',n asString,' steps with display'; cr.

self doStep.
            (lastDisplay - Time millisecondClockValue) abs > 20 ifTrue: [

].
        ].
    ] timeToRun.
    Transcript show: t asString,' ms for ',n asString,' steps with occasional display'; cr.

yields:

68 ms for 500 steps without display
4290 ms for 500 steps with display
101 ms for 500 steps with occasional display

Cheers,
Bob

On 11/15/12 3:16 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
Hi Bob,

This works for me:

doStepSeveral

self doStep.
    ]

Cheers,
Bob

Hi All,

[World

[self doStep].

AdvThanksance
--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Bob Arning-2
In reply to this post by Bert Freudenberg
This is fun! If you use #send rather than #doStep, you can watch code run like a movie.

doStepSeveral

| n |

n := 500.

n timesRepeat: [
        self send.
        (Delay forMilliseconds: 250) wait.
    ].

Cheers,
Bob

On 11/15/12 8:39 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
But this is how Morphic drawing works. If only your text morph changed, then only that morph will be redrawn. And since no events are processed in that loop, this should be the case.

- Bert -

Hi Bob,

This works for me:

doStepSeveral

self doStep.
    ]

Cheers,
Bob

Hi All,

[World

[self doStep].

AdvThanksance
--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Bob,

cool!  I've just committed the run until code.  Please feel free to add a variant that uses send.  send until...?

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is fun! If you use #send rather than #doStep, you can watch code run like a movie.

doStepSeveral

| n |

n := 500.

n timesRepeat: [
        self send.

(Delay forMilliseconds: 250) wait.
    ].

Cheers,
Bob

On 11/15/12 8:39 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

- Bert -

Hi Bob,

This works for me:

doStepSeveral

self doStep.
    ]

Cheers,
Bob

Hi All,

[World

[self doStep].

AdvThanksance
--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot