How to get into Seaside 3 from bootstrapping?

How to get into Seaside 3 from bootstrapping?

Norbert Hartl-2
Hi,

I didn't have much time to do smalltalk lately. I just read amazing things on the mailing list. They availability of pier2 was awaited by me for some time.

However I tried to bootstrap an new user with pier2 and I didn't succeed. Well, I didn't get to seaside 3 even. I still used the following upgrade path via topaz

- create new user with the right priviliges
- bootstrapped to GLASS 1.0-beat.4 (installMaster.topaz)
- ConfigurationOfGLASS project updateProject
- ConfigurationOfGLASS project latestVersion load

logging in via the Gemtools launcher gives me a "error determing version workspace" in the status line. A

ConfigurationOfSeaside project latestVersion load: 'Seaside 3.0 Tests'

gives me

--transcript--'Loading 1.0.4 of ConfigurationOfSeaside...'
GemStone: Error         Nonfatal
No method was found for the selector #'bypassProgressBars' when sent
to aMetacelloGemStonePlatform with arguments contained in anArray(
).
Error Category: [GemStone] Number: 2010 Arg Count: 3
Arg 1: a MetacelloGemStonePlatform
  stoneVersionAttribute an Array

Arg 2: bypassProgressBars
Arg 3: an Array

Any further attempt in the workspace to do anything like upgrade metacello or load seaside leads to some DNU in

MetacelloPlatform current

like

stackCacheFor:at:doing:
bypassProgressBar

I can see that somehow there is a version mismatch somewhere that loads metacello without upgrading dependent ones. Or someting similar. Is there another upgrade path I should use?

thanks in advance,

Norbert

Re: How to get into Seaside 3 from bootstrapping?

Dale Henrichs
Norbert,

If you want to work with Seaside3.0 I suggest that you wait a couple of
days ... I am really very close to announcing 2.4.4.1 which includes a
seaside extent build on 1.0-beta.8.1.

Dale

Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I didn't have much time to do smalltalk lately. I just read amazing things on the mailing list. They availability of pier2 was awaited by me for some time.
>
> However I tried to bootstrap an new user with pier2 and I didn't succeed. Well, I didn't get to seaside 3 even. I still used the following upgrade path via topaz
>
> - create new user with the right priviliges
> - bootstrapped to GLASS 1.0-beat.4 (installMaster.topaz)
> - ConfigurationOfGLASS project updateProject
> - ConfigurationOfGLASS project latestVersion load
>
> logging in via the Gemtools launcher gives me a "error determing version workspace" in the status line. A
>
> ConfigurationOfSeaside project latestVersion load: 'Seaside 3.0 Tests'
>
> gives me
>
> --transcript--'Loading 1.0.4 of ConfigurationOfSeaside...'
> GemStone: Error         Nonfatal
> No method was found for the selector #'bypassProgressBars' when sent
> to aMetacelloGemStonePlatform with arguments contained in anArray(
> ).
> Error Category: [GemStone] Number: 2010 Arg Count: 3
> Arg 1: a MetacelloGemStonePlatform
>   stoneVersionAttribute an Array
>
> Arg 2: bypassProgressBars
> Arg 3: an Array
>
> Any further attempt in the workspace to do anything like upgrade metacello or load seaside leads to some DNU in
>
> MetacelloPlatform current
>
> like
>
> stackCacheFor:at:doing:
> bypassProgressBar
>
> I can see that somehow there is a version mismatch somewhere that loads metacello without upgrading dependent ones. Or someting similar. Is there another upgrade path I should use?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Norbert

Re: How to get into Seaside 3 from bootstrapping?

NorbertHartl
Hi Dale,

On 11.07.2010, at 17:21, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Norbert,
>
> If you want to work with Seaside3.0 I suggest that you wait a couple of days ... I am really very close to announcing 2.4.4.1 which includes a seaside extent build on 1.0-beta.8.1.

to me it didn't appear to be a seaside3 problem. My problem appeared as soon as ConfigurationOfSeaside was doing anything. Looks more like a misconfiguration of packages. I'm using a multiuser setup so I need to bootstrap the whole stack for a new user. A ready made image does not help me much.

You spent a lot of effort to provide an upgrade path to 1.0-beta.8 from any previous configuration. Therefor I assumed that bootstrapping will just work out of the box. Or will this work much better starting from a 2.4.x system? Or is using 1.0-beta.8.1 the solution?

thanks,

Norbert

Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>

> On 11.07.2010, at 17:21, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> Norbert,
>>
>> If you want to work with Seaside3.0 I suggest that you wait a couple of days ... I am really very close to announcing 2.4.4.1 which includes a seaside extent build on 1.0-beta.8.1.
>>
> to me it didn't appear to be a seaside3 problem. My problem appeared as soon as ConfigurationOfSeaside was doing anything. Looks more like a misconfiguration of packages. I'm using a multiuser setup so I need to bootstrap the whole stack for a new user. A ready made image does not help me much.
>
> You spent a lot of effort to provide an upgrade path to 1.0-beta.8 from any previous configuration. Therefor I assumed that bootstrapping will just work out of the box. Or will this work much better starting from a 2.4.x system? Or is using 1.0-beta.8.1 the solution?

It is probably a bug in the bootstrap ... I can think of several
possible scenarios leading to the problem you are reporting, and each of
them involves shipping a new bootstrap script...I am on a push to get
2.4.4.1 pushed out the door with 1.0-beta.8.1 and after I get that
son-of-a-gun out the door I will build a 1.0-beta.8.1 bootstrap script:)

The bug that I suspect involves the fact that with the earlier versions
of the bootstrap scripts, the latest version of Metacello was loaded
from the web instead of from the bootstrap directory ... which means
that a version of Metacello is being loaded in a combo that hasn't been
tested before ....

Part of the (necessary) improvements in the upgrade process was to avoid
upgrading Metacello with Metacello ... there are some older versions of
Metacello that are difficult to upgrade from as there were significant
internal changes .... updating  loader code to a newer version _using_
an old version of the loader code is always dicey business ...

Dale