How to get the subviews area extent

Paul F Johnson
Suppose myCV is an instance of ContainerView or any of its subclasses.
Is there then some way I can get the size of the area in which its
subviews are placed? Sending #extent to myCV only gives me its outer
extent, which is bigger in case myCV is a ShellView (the caption and
the border fill up extra space outside the subviews).

Or, if I'm not clear enough:

s := Shell show.
s view layoutManager: BorderLayout new.
s view addSubView: (tv := TextView new).
tv arrangement: #center.

Now "s extent" gives a different result than "tv extent". Can I get
what "tv extent" gives me only through a code like

s := Shell show.
s giveMeTheExtentForTheSubviewAreaOnlyWithoutHavingToAddSubViewsAsAbove

Regards
PFJ

Re: How to get the subviews area extent

Bruno Buzzi Brasesco
myShell := MyPresenter show.
(myShell view viewNamed: 'myTextEdit') extent.

MyPresenter view was created inside ViewComposer and has a view named
'myTextEdit'.

Regards Bruno

"Paul F Johnson" <[hidden email]> escribió en el mensaje
news:[hidden email]...

> Suppose myCV is an instance of ContainerView or any of its subclasses.
> Is there then some way I can get the size of the area in which its
> subviews are placed? Sending #extent to myCV only gives me its outer
> extent, which is bigger in case myCV is a ShellView (the caption and
> the border fill up extra space outside the subviews).
>
> Or, if I'm not clear enough:
>
> s := Shell show.
> s view layoutManager: BorderLayout new.
> s view addSubView: (tv := TextView new).
> tv arrangement: #center.
>
> Now "s extent" gives a different result than "tv extent". Can I get
> what "tv extent" gives me only through a code like
>
> s := Shell show.
> s giveMeTheExtentForTheSubviewAreaOnlyWithoutHavingToAddSubViewsAsAbove
>
> Regards
> PFJ

---

Re: How to get the subviews area extent

Andy Bower-3
Paul,

> Suppose myCV is an instance of ContainerView or any of its subclasses.
> Is there then some way I can get the size of the area in which its
> subviews are placed? Sending #extent to myCV only gives me its outer
> extent, which is bigger in case myCV is a ShellView (the caption and
> the border fill up extra space outside the subviews).
>
> Or, if I'm not clear enough:
>
> s := Shell show.
> s view layoutManager: BorderLayout new.
> s view addSubView: (tv := TextView new).
> tv arrangement: #center.
>
> Now "s extent" gives a different result than "tv extent". Can I get
> what "tv extent" gives me only through a code like
>
> s := Shell show.
> giveMeTheExtentForTheSubviewAreaOnlyWithoutHavingToAddSubViewsAsAbove

If I understand you correctly, I think what you want is #clientExtent.

Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
www.object-arts.com

"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:<408d2ad3$[hidden email]>...

> Paul,
>
> > Suppose myCV is an instance of ContainerView or any of its subclasses.
> > Is there then some way I can get the size of the area in which its
> > subviews are placed? Sending #extent to myCV only gives me its outer
> > extent, which is bigger in case myCV is a ShellView (the caption and
> > the border fill up extra space outside the subviews).
> >
> > Or, if I'm not clear enough:
> >
> > s := Shell show.
> > s view layoutManager: BorderLayout new.
> > s view addSubView: (tv := TextView new).
> > tv arrangement: #center.
> >
> > Now "s extent" gives a different result than "tv extent". Can I get
> > what "tv extent" gives me only through a code like
> >
> > s := Shell show.
> > giveMeTheExtentForTheSubviewAreaOnlyWithoutHavingToAddSubViewsAsAbove
>
> If I understand you correctly, I think what you want is #clientExtent.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Andy Bower
> Dolphin Support
> www.object-arts.com

That was excactly what I needed. Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Paul