Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to get to the bottom of the spinning beach ball when first entering Pharo

Tim Mackinnon
Hi guys - this has come up before in the past - but I’m really noticing it now having worked on a project for a few weeks. Every time I go into my image (by go into - I mean unsuspend my laptop and start using as its the current app, OR flipping to it from say reading email) I get a shining beach ball for 5-10 seconds and then the app is responsive and I can work on it. It’s not all of the time, but I’ve noticed its not just my laptop warming up - as several times a day I see it when flipping back to it.

How do I trouble shoot what is going on - does the system reporter tool tell me anything useful? I did notice my image has grown quite large - is it just that?

Virtual Machine Statistics
--------------------------
uptime 89h58m32s
memory 409,608,192 bytes
        old 400,656,160 bytes (97.80000000000001%)
        young 3,931,080 bytes (1.0%)
        used 317,989,144 bytes (77.60000000000001%)
        free 86,598,096 bytes (21.1%)

If it is memory - what would I look at to see why my memory usage is so large on a relatively small app with few dependencies (although I have been doing lots of iceberg commits and running tests, and using the debugger to explore etc)

Tim
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to get to the bottom of the spinning beach ball when first entering Pharo

Peter Kenny
Tim

I have never seen a spinning beach ball, but I often find, when coming back to Pharo after using some other application, that there is a delay of a few seconds, during which time I see the standard Windows 'hang on a bit' signal, which is a blue ring near the cursor. My assumption is that this is the effect of swapping from virtual memory - my machine has only(!) 4GB of real Ram. Could the beach ball be something generated by your OS in a similar situation? - which OS are you on, by the way?

HTH

Peter Kenny

-----Original Message-----
From: Pharo-users <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Tim Mackinnon
Sent: 13 March 2019 10:10
To: Pharo Users Newsgroup <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Pharo-users] How to get to the bottom of the spinning beach ball when first entering Pharo

Hi guys - this has come up before in the past - but I’m really noticing it now having worked on a project for a few weeks. Every time I go into my image (by go into - I mean unsuspend my laptop and start using as its the current app, OR flipping to it from say reading email) I get a shining beach ball for 5-10 seconds and then the app is responsive and I can work on it. It’s not all of the time, but I’ve noticed its not just my laptop warming up - as several times a day I see it when flipping back to it.

How do I trouble shoot what is going on - does the system reporter tool tell me anything useful? I did notice my image has grown quite large - is it just that?

Virtual Machine Statistics
--------------------------
uptime 89h58m32s
memory 409,608,192 bytes
        old 400,656,160 bytes (97.80000000000001%)
        young 3,931,080 bytes (1.0%)
        used 317,989,144 bytes (77.60000000000001%)
        free 86,598,096 bytes (21.1%)

If it is memory - what would I look at to see why my memory usage is so large on a relatively small app with few dependencies (although I have been doing lots of iceberg commits and running tests, and using the debugger to explore etc)

Tim

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to get to the bottom of the spinning beach ball when first entering Pharo

Tim Mackinnon
Hi Peter - yes the beach ball is the mac equivalent of the spinning circle , but it seems to appear more often than I expect - just web browsing or reading email and then flipping back incurs that sane delay? This is on a 16gb MacBook Pro. I don’t recall this in Pharo 6 the same, but I’m doing more hard core development on 7.

I did look in the process browser and find an odd looking process that wasn’t in my other images, so I terminated it and will see if maybe it was that. But I think I’ve seen it in other images too (I’m not sure).

I’m wondering if others notice this - however it seems like you do too.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 13 Mar 2019, at 18:08, PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tim
>
> I have never seen a spinning beach ball, but I often find, when coming back to Pharo after using some other application, that there is a delay of a few seconds, during which time I see the standard Windows 'hang on a bit' signal, which is a blue ring near the cursor. My assumption is that this is the effect of swapping from virtual memory - my machine has only(!) 4GB of real Ram. Could the beach ball be something generated by your OS in a similar situation? - which OS are you on, by the way?
>
> HTH
>
> Peter Kenny
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Pharo-users <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Tim Mackinnon
> Sent: 13 March 2019 10:10
> To: Pharo Users Newsgroup <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Pharo-users] How to get to the bottom of the spinning beach ball when first entering Pharo
>
> Hi guys - this has come up before in the past - but I’m really noticing it now having worked on a project for a few weeks. Every time I go into my image (by go into - I mean unsuspend my laptop and start using as its the current app, OR flipping to it from say reading email) I get a shining beach ball for 5-10 seconds and then the app is responsive and I can work on it. It’s not all of the time, but I’ve noticed its not just my laptop warming up - as several times a day I see it when flipping back to it.
>
> How do I trouble shoot what is going on - does the system reporter tool tell me anything useful? I did notice my image has grown quite large - is it just that?
>
> Virtual Machine Statistics
> --------------------------
> uptime            89h58m32s
> memory            409,608,192 bytes
>    old            400,656,160 bytes (97.80000000000001%)
>    young        3,931,080 bytes (1.0%)
>    used        317,989,144 bytes (77.60000000000001%)
>    free        86,598,096 bytes (21.1%)
>
>
> If it is memory - what would I look at to see why my memory usage is so large on a relatively small app with few dependencies (although I have been doing lots of iceberg commits and running tests, and using the debugger to explore etc)
>
> Tim
>
>