How to get to the bottom of the spinning beach ball when first entering Pharo

How to get to the bottom of the spinning beach ball when first entering Pharo

Tim Mackinnon
Hi guys - this has come up before in the past - but I’m really noticing it now having worked on a project for a few weeks. Every time I go into my image (by go into - I mean unsuspend my laptop and start using as its the current app, OR flipping to it from say reading email) I get a shining beach ball for 5-10 seconds and then the app is responsive and I can work on it. It’s not all of the time, but I’ve noticed its not just my laptop warming up - as several times a day I see it when flipping back to it.

How do I trouble shoot what is going on - does the system reporter tool tell me anything useful? I did notice my image has grown quite large - is it just that?

Virtual Machine Statistics
--------------------------
uptime 89h58m32s
memory 409,608,192 bytes
        old 400,656,160 bytes (97.80000000000001%)
        young 3,931,080 bytes (1.0%)
        used 317,989,144 bytes (77.60000000000001%)
        free 86,598,096 bytes (21.1%)

If it is memory - what would I look at to see why my memory usage is so large on a relatively small app with few dependencies (although I have been doing lots of iceberg commits and running tests, and using the debugger to explore etc)

Tim

Re: How to get to the bottom of the spinning beach ball when first entering Pharo

Peter Kenny
Tim

I have never seen a spinning beach ball, but I often find, when coming back to Pharo after using some other application, that there is a delay of a few seconds, during which time I see the standard Windows 'hang on a bit' signal, which is a blue ring near the cursor. My assumption is that this is the effect of swapping from virtual memory - my machine has only(!) 4GB of real Ram. Could the beach ball be something generated by your OS in a similar situation? - which OS are you on, by the way?

HTH

Peter Kenny

Re: How to get to the bottom of the spinning beach ball when first entering Pharo

Tim Mackinnon
Hi Peter - yes the beach ball is the mac equivalent of the spinning circle , but it seems to appear more often than I expect - just web browsing or reading email and then flipping back incurs that sane delay? This is on a 16gb MacBook Pro. I don’t recall this in Pharo 6 the same, but I’m doing more hard core development on 7.

I did look in the process browser and find an odd looking process that wasn’t in my other images, so I terminated it and will see if maybe it was that. But I think I’ve seen it in other images too (I’m not sure).

I’m wondering if others notice this - however it seems like you do too.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone