How to handle errors with a page that can go back

How to handle errors with a page that can go back

jtuchel

Hi there,

we've been using a WAHtmlErrorHandler for quite a while in our application, but there are some limitations to that appraoch:

  • If an error happens in a subcomponent, the HTML Error handler will only be displayed in place of the failing component, not as a page of its own. This is irritating for quite a few users, some even don't realize an error occured and contniue clicking and stuff...
  • I haven't found a way to allow the user to go back to the last page and redo their changes

Let me give you an example of what I'd like to achieve:

  1. A user submits a form and thus a callback is called on the server
  2. The callback handling code runs into a resumable exception
  3. We display a full page saying: "Hey, this and that is wrong, you better go back and change your input"
    (Unfortunately, the situations I am speaking about cannot be validated before the user submits - think of it as an optimistic locking failure)
  4. This error page offers a "I want to go back and be a good user and correct my input" link or button. It is a root component, coverng the whole page under all circumstances
  5. The callback of that link does resume the exception, maybe clear up some data and go back to the component the user came from

Has anybody done this? Is it described somewhere?

Thanks,

Joachim

Re: How to handle errors with a page that can go back

jtuchel
HI again,

so let me ask my question differently, and one part after the other:

(How) Do people use a WAHtmlErrorHandler in such a way that it always is a full page, not a replacement of a subcomponent?
Is this only possible by adding some javascript magic to redirect to a component?

(How) Do people implemtn their error handlers so that they redirect a user back to the form where an error has happened in order ot let them correct their input?
I am not asking for form validation but for errors that happen during callback processing...

Any hints?

Joachim

Am 11.07.17 um 11:03 schrieb [hidden email]:

[...]

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          [hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1