How to have a faster image

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi! I want to put together the things people do to have a faster Pharo. The "slow" stuff is being identified and for the moment, perhaps it is useful people can have an image with less features but faster. All the things we put here, perhaps we can then include them in the script used to generate Pharo until the things that now are slow, are fast.

This is what I do when I download a Pharo image to get it faster:

ToolSet default: StandardToolSet.
SystemBrowser default: OBSystemBrowserAdaptor.
Preferences enable: #fastDragWindowForMorphic.
Preferences disable: #dynamicProtocolActivation.

Of course, there are other things like using the default Squeak theme or not using FreeType but in my case I rather use them.

I hope this helps to someone.

Best,

Mariano

Re: How to have a faster image

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Mariano,

What is the dynamic protocol setting?  I spotted that recently and intended to run it down.  Is there a good way to toggle free type?  The preference browser check boxes that I think would do it (hinting), just seem to go into some type of broken state.  This is a great idea, and probably deserves a wiki page.

Bill

2009/7/15 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
Mariano,

What is the dynamic protocol setting?

dynamic protocol are those "categories" (actually they are not actually categories but in the browser they are show where the categories are) that are dynamically processed and they are shown with the pattern "--xxx(number)--".

Examples:

--uncommented(1)--
--override(2)--

What I do is to have this disable. When I will make a release of my software I enable them and check all my classes for those dynamic protocols. Perhaps this can also be done using SmallLint.

I spotted that recently and intended to run it down.  Is there a good way to toggle free type?

I really don't know. I know a hack hahhaa: remove the folder where the fonts are aha
It is welcome to know a easy way no enable/disable it.

The preference browser check boxes that I think would do it (hinting), just seem to go into some type of broken state.

Which preference? I don't saw anyone related to FreeType.

This is a great idea, and probably deserves a wiki page.

Yes it does. But as not all have write access we can discuss it here and then I add a wiki page for this.

You said in another mail to disable fadedBackgroundWindows. Did you notice a speed increase with this? Anyway...by default it isn't activated.
I wasn't aware of this preference, but it is useful :)

Best,

Mariano

Bill

Re: How to have a faster image

Damien Cassou
2009/7/15 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> This is a great idea, and probably deserves a wiki page.
>
> Yes it does.

No it's not :-). Just come to a conclusion and send me your script by
email. I will then merge it with my own and produce better images for
everyone. What do you think?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: How to have a faster image

Stéphane Ducasse
I think that pharo (old pharo-dev should contain as less as possible).
but with a universe loader ready

Stef

On Jul 17, 2009, at 11:56 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> 2009/7/15 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>>> This is a great idea, and probably deserves a wiki page.
>>
>> Yes it does.
>
> No it's not :-). Just come to a conclusion and send me your script by
> email. I will then merge it with my own and produce better images for
> everyone. What do you think?
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: How to have a faster image

Damien Cassou
On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Stéphane
Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think that pharo (old pharo-dev should contain as less as possible).

Each user means something different by 'as less as possible' (not sure
it's good english though :-)). You want syntax highlighting and
completion to be in. IIRC, Michael has no need for them.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: How to have a faster image

Adrian Lienhard
In this thread just preferences were discussed to speed up the tools
(no new packages).

Instead of adding them to the wiki, I also suggest to make them
default in the Pharo image. Like this people get less features but a
faster GUI, which seems to be preferred from the many recent comments.
If somebody likes more features, he can simply change the preferences
again (maybe adding a note in the workspace would be helpful to
indicate which ones).

I suggest to change the following:

SystemBrowser default: OBSystemBrowserAdaptor.
Preferences disable: #dynamicProtocolActivation.
Preferences disable: #annotationPanes

In this thread it was also suggested to enable
#fastDragWindowForMorphic. Not sure if this is important as we have it
disabled also in the core.

Damien, what do you think?

Adrian

On Jul 18, 2009, at 00:39 , Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Stéphane
> Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think that pharo (old pharo-dev should contain as less as
>> possible).
>
> Each user means something different by 'as less as possible' (not sure
> it's good english though :-)). You want syntax highlighting and
> completion to be in. IIRC, Michael has no need for them.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: How to have a faster image

> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Stéphane
> Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think that pharo (old pharo-dev should contain as less as
>> possible).
>
> Each user means something different by 'as less as possible' (not sure
> it's good english though :-)). You want syntax highlighting and
> completion to be in. IIRC, Michael has no need for them.

Yes but mike does not like refactoring either.
So I think that we should find what is reasonable and as I said:
        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages

then may be we will have three distributions
        pharo-core
        pharo
        pharo-dev

Re: How to have a faster image

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Adrian,

With respect, I do not understand the resistance to also placing the recommendations on the Wiki - that might help someone hoping to postpone updating to a new image.  Making a list in a promintent location in no way prevents improving the downloadable images; let's do both.

Bill

In this thread just preferences were discussed to speed up the tools (no new packages).

Instead of adding them to the wiki, I also suggest to make them default in the Pharo image. Like this people get less features but a faster GUI, which seems to be preferred from the many recent comments.
If somebody likes more features, he can simply change the preferences again (maybe adding a note in the workspace would be helpful to indicate which ones).

I suggest to change the following:

SystemBrowser default: OBSystemBrowserAdaptor.
Preferences disable: #dynamicProtocolActivation.
Preferences disable: #annotationPanes

In this thread it was also suggested to enable #fastDragWindowForMorphic. Not sure if this is important as we have it disabled also in the core.

Damien, what do you think?

Adrian

On Jul 18, 2009, at 00:39 , Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Stéphane
> Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think that pharo (old pharo-dev should contain as less as
>> possible).
>
> Each user means something different by 'as less as possible' (not sure
> it's good english though :-)). You want syntax highlighting and
> completion to be in. IIRC, Michael has no need for them.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: How to have a faster image

Adrian Lienhard
Sure, we can also put these preferences on the wiki (what page would
be good?). I just wanted to avoid (like Damien), that we *only* put
these items on the wiki and then think the problem is solved ;)

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jul 18, 2009, at 15:04 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Adrian,
>
> With respect, I do not understand the resistance to also placing the
> recommendations on the Wiki - that might help someone hoping to
> postpone updating to a new image.  Making a list in a promintent
> location in no way prevents improving the downloadable images; let's
> do both.
>
> Bill

Sounds good, let's do both.  The new image is a nice step forward.  Subjectively, it is at least as quick as my heavily hacked image.  I started with a web image and have loaded a fair amount of code, so I would want to see the browsers loaded down with  Seaside and other big packages that are present in my image.

I recommend enabling fast drag by default.

Bill

Sure, we can also put these preferences on the wiki (what page would be good?). I just wanted to avoid (like Damien), that we *only* put these items on the wiki and then think the problem is solved ;)

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jul 18, 2009, at 15:04 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Adrian,
>
> With respect, I do not understand the resistance to also placing the
> recommendations on the Wiki - that might help someone hoping to
> postpone updating to a new image.  Making a list in a promintent
> location in no way prevents improving the downloadable images; let's
> do both.
>
> Bill

I added the statements to http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CodeSnippets
.

Please update as appropriate.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
I added the statements to http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CodeSnippets
.

excellent.

Adrian: this line is necessary? ToolSet default: StandardToolSet.

I thought it was.

Please update as appropriate.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jul 18, 2009, at 15:47 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Adrian,
>
> Sounds good, let's do both.  The new image is a nice step forward.
> Subjectively, it is at least as quick as my heavily hacked image.  I
> started with a web image and have loaded a fair amount of code, so I
> would want to see the browsers loaded down with  Seaside and other
> big packages that are present in my image.
>
> I recommend enabling fast drag by default.
>
> Bill

Fwd: How to have a faster image

Adrian Lienhard
>> I added the statements to http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CodeSnippets
>
> excellent.
>
> Adrian: this line is necessary? ToolSet default: StandardToolSet.

I don't know... What is different in this tool set?

Adrian

> I thought it was.
>

>> Please update as appropriate.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian
>>
>> On Jul 18, 2009, at 15:47 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>
>>> Adrian,
>>>
>>> Sounds good, let's do both.  The new image is a nice step forward.
>>> Subjectively, it is at least as quick as my heavily hacked image.  I
>>> started with a web image and have loaded a fair amount of code, so I
>>> would want to see the browsers loaded down with  Seaside and other
>>> big packages that are present in my image.
>>>
>>> I recommend enabling fast drag by default.
>>>
>>> Bill

Re: Fwd: How to have a faster image

Lukas Renggli
>> Adrian: this line is necessary? ToolSet default: StandardToolSet.
>
> I don't know... What is different in this tool set?

OTToolset implements Debugger, Process Browser, Inspector, Transcript
and Workspace using OB.

StandardToolSet uses the traditional Squeak tools.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: How to have a faster image

Damien Cassou
On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Adrian Lienhard<[hidden email]> wrote:

> In this thread it was also suggested to enable
> #fastDragWindowForMorphic. Not sure if this is important as we have it
> disabled also in the core.

In the following past thread, we chose to explicitely disable
#fastDragWindowForMorphic:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.pharo.devel/3584