How to have an in-image map (morph/spec/brick) showing a gps location

How to have an in-image map (morph/spec/brick) showing a gps location

cedreek
Hello,

I would like to have a representation of a map in the image to show (my) GPS coordinates.

I haven’t really tried nor searched yet but I’ve seen Roassal examples that could do the job, especially the Open Street Map integration.

So does people here have advices on how to to that (having a morph that shows a map and positions) ?
Ideally I would like to have it work offline (meaning I download first tiles…or a vectorized map would do the job too).

TIA,

Cédrick

Re: How to have an in-image map (morph/spec/brick) showing a gps location

Thierry Goubier
Le 09/02/2018 à 00:46, Arturo Zambrano a écrit :
> I used Roassal + OSM and worked perfectly (2 year ago at least).
> Although I think there is no support for something like a tiles cache.

We did the OSM support with an in-image tiles cache, but limited to the
current map section being viewed.

It would be easy to add an on-disk cache to that code.

Thierry

> On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 7:46 AM, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I would like to have a representation of a map in the image to show
>     (my) GPS coordinates.
>
>     I haven’t really tried nor searched yet but I’ve seen Roassal
>     examples that could do the job, especially the Open Street Map
>     integration.
>
>     So does people here have advices on how to to that (having a morph
>     that shows a map and positions) ?
>     Ideally I would like to have it work offline (meaning I download
>     first tiles…or a vectorized map would do the job too).
>
>     TIA,
>
>     Cédrick

Re: How to have an in-image map (morph/spec/brick) showing a gps location

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 9 Feb 2018, at 06:40, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le 09/02/2018 à 00:46, Arturo Zambrano a écrit :
>> I used Roassal + OSM and worked perfectly (2 year ago at least). Although I think there is no support for something like a tiles cache.
>
> We did the OSM support with an in-image tiles cache, but limited to the current map section being viewed.
>
> It would be easy to add an on-disk cache to that code.
>
> Thierry
>
>> On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 7:46 AM, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>    Hello,
>>    I would like to have a representation of a map in the image to show
>>    (my) GPS coordinates.
>>    I haven’t really tried nor searched yet but I’ve seen Roassal
>>    examples that could do the job, especially the Open Street Map
>>    integration.
>>    So does people here have advices on how to to that (having a morph
>>    that shows a map and positions) ?
>>    Ideally I would like to have it work offline (meaning I download
>>    first tiles…or a vectorized map would do the job too).
>>    TIA,
>>    Cédrick

Thierry,

Where are the load instructions ? Does it still work for Pharo 7 ?

Sven

Re: How to have an in-image map (morph/spec/brick) showing a gps location

Thierry Goubier

>> On 9 Feb 2018, at 06:40, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Le 09/02/2018 à 00:46, Arturo Zambrano a écrit :
>>> I used Roassal + OSM and worked perfectly (2 year ago at least). Although I think there is no support for something like a tiles cache.
>>
>> We did the OSM support with an in-image tiles cache, but limited to the current map section being viewed.
>>
>> It would be easy to add an on-disk cache to that code.
>>
>> Thierry
>>
>>> On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 7:46 AM, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>    Hello,
>>>    I would like to have a representation of a map in the image to show
>>>    (my) GPS coordinates.
>>>    I haven’t really tried nor searched yet but I’ve seen Roassal
>>>    examples that could do the job, especially the Open Street Map
>>>    integration.
>>>    So does people here have advices on how to to that (having a morph
>>>    that shows a map and positions) ?
>>>    Ideally I would like to have it work offline (meaning I download
>>>    first tiles…or a vectorized map would do the job too).
>>>    TIA,
>>>    Cédrick
>
> Thierry,
>
> Where are the load instructions ? Does it still work for Pharo 7 ?

It should still be part of Roassal, with some issues with the data
sources used to retrieve cities coordinates (they went offline!).

I haven't started working with Pharo 7 yet, so I can't say.

Thierry

> Sven

Re: How to have an in-image map (morph/spec/brick) showing a gps location

cedreek
Thanks all,

I’ll give a try to roassal so.

Cheers,

Cedrick

> Le 9 févr. 2018 à 08:59, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>>> We did the OSM support with an in-image tiles cache, but limited to the current map section being viewed.
>>>
>>> It would be easy to add an on-disk cache to that code.
>>>
>>> Thierry

>> Thierry,
>>
>> Where are the load instructions ? Does it still work for Pharo 7 ?
>
> It should still be part of Roassal, with some issues with the data
> sources used to retrieve cities coordinates (they went offline!).
>
> I haven't started working with Pharo 7 yet, so I can't say.
>
> Thierry
>
>> Sven

Re: How to have an in-image map (morph/spec/brick) showing a gps location

Stephane Ducasse-3
Sven in Roassal you can see them in the examples menu.

On 10 Feb 2018, at 19:00, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sven in Roassal you can see them in the examples menu.

Ah, and it all works out-of-the-box just-like-that in Pharo-7.0+alpha.build.493.sha.d53a70bc946ed83b046f61ac35f00c67fa77269a (32 Bit) on macOS.

Wow, amazing ! Very, very nice.

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 7:46 AM, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>> wrote:
[...]

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Beautiful, Sven!

I have a publicity suggestion. Make a larger png of that and share it on Twitter and LinkedIn.
(And if you do, I would also suggest cascading the message sends to the camera.)

I would love to share that around!

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 12:26 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 10 Feb 2018, at 19:00, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sven in Roassal you can see them in the examples menu.

Ah, and it all works out-of-the-box just-like-that in Pharo-7.0+alpha.build.493.sha.d53a70bc946ed83b046f61ac35f00c67fa77269a (32 Bit) on macOS.

Wow, amazing ! Very, very nice.

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 10:20 AM, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks all,

I’ll give a try to roassal so.

Cheers,

Cedrick

Le 9 févr. 2018 à 08:59, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On 9 Feb 2018, at 06:40, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le 09/02/2018 à 00:46, Arturo Zambrano a écrit :
I used Roassal + OSM and worked perfectly (2 year ago at least). Although I think there is no support for something like a tiles cache.

We did the OSM support with an in-image tiles cache, but limited to the current map section being viewed.

It would be easy to add an on-disk cache to that code.

Thierry

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 7:46 AM, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>> wrote:
 Hello,
 I would like to have a representation of a map in the image to show
 (my) GPS coordinates.
 I haven’t really tried nor searched yet but I’ve seen Roassal
 examples that could do the job, especially the Open Street Map
 integration.
 So does people here have advices on how to to that (having a morph
 that shows a map and positions) ?
 Ideally I would like to have it work offline (meaning I download
 first tiles…or a vectorized map would do the job too).
 TIA,
 Cédrick

Thierry,

Where are the load instructions ? Does it still work for Pharo 7 ?

It should still be part of Roassal, with some issues with the data
sources used to retrieve cities coordinates (they went offline!).

I haven't started working with Pharo 7 yet, so I can't say.

Thierry

Sven

Re: How to have an in-image map (morph/spec/brick) showing a gps location

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 11 Feb 2018, at 22:02, Richard Sargent <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Beautiful, Sven!
>
> I have a publicity suggestion. Make a larger png of that and share it on Twitter and LinkedIn.
> (And if you do, I would also suggest cascading the message sends to the camera.)
>
> I would love to share that around!

This is not my work, it is one of several built-in examples. And this functionality is years old already.

But I do agree that stuff like this should be promoted more, there are so many hidden gems everywhere.