How to input diacritics (like á, é, ó, ã...)

How to input diacritics (like á, é, ó, ã...)

CdAB63
Hello,

I'm developing a little parser and need to enter characters of Portuguese language like á, é, ã, õ, ê... but using the traditional method what happens is that I get a?, e? so on and so forth. Platform Linux (utf-8). Help appreciated.

Best regards,

CdAB
--
The information contained in this message is confidential and intended to the recipients specified in the headers. If you received this message by error, notify the sender immediately. The unauthorized use, disclosure, copy or alteration of this message are strictly forbidden and subjected to civil and criminal sanctions.

==

This email may be signed using PGP key ID: 0x4134A417

Re: How to input diacritics (like á, é, ó, ã...)

Levente Uzonyi-2
You see question marks because the font you're using doesn't have the
glyphs to display the accented characters.
I don't know if there's an easy way to load a font with the missing
characters into a 4.6 image, because FreeType's FontChooser is broken,
probably due to the recent Morphic changes. You can use the following
script to load FreeType, if you want to give it a try:

Installer ss3
     project: 'FreeTypePlus';
     install: 'FreeTypeConstants';
     install: 'FreeType';
     install: 'FreeTypeSubPixelAntiAliasing';
     install: 'FreeTypeTests'

Levente

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015, Casimiro - GMAIL wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm developing a little parser and need to enter characters of Portuguese language like á, é, ã, õ, ê... but using the traditional method what
> happens is that I get a?, e? so on and so forth. Platform Linux (utf-8). Help appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
>
> CdAB
> --
> The information contained in this message is confidential and intended to the recipients specified in the headers. If you received this message by
> error, notify the sender immediately. The unauthorized use, disclosure, copy or alteration of this message are strictly forbidden and subjected to
> civil and criminal sanctions.
>
> ==
>
> This email may be signed using PGP key ID: 0x4134A417

Re: How to input diacritics (like á, é, ó, ã...)

Ben Coman
You can use http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/search.htm
to check which fonts support the characters you need (although you
probably also determine this from whichever word processor you're
using)
cheers -ben

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 5:26 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You see question marks because the font you're using doesn't have the glyphs
> to display the accented characters.
> I don't know if there's an easy way to load a font with the missing
> characters into a 4.6 image, because FreeType's FontChooser is broken,
> probably due to the recent Morphic changes. You can use the following script
> to load FreeType, if you want to give it a try:
>
> Installer ss3
>     project: 'FreeTypePlus';
>     install: 'FreeTypeConstants';
>     install: 'FreeType';
>     install: 'FreeTypeSubPixelAntiAliasing';
>     install: 'FreeTypeTests'
>
> Levente
>

> On Tue, 11 Aug 2015, Casimiro - GMAIL wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm developing a little parser and need to enter characters of Portuguese
>> language like á, é, ã, õ, ê... but using the traditional method what
>> happens is that I get a?, e? so on and so forth. Platform Linux (utf-8).
>> Help appreciated.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> CdAB
>> --
>> The information contained in this message is confidential and intended to
>> the recipients specified in the headers. If you received this message by
>> error, notify the sender immediately. The unauthorized use, disclosure,
>> copy or alteration of this message are strictly forbidden and subjected to
>> civil and criminal sanctions.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> This email may be signed using PGP key ID: 0x4134A417

Re: How to input diacritics (like á, é, ó, ã...)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Casimiro,

> I'm developing a little parser and need to enter characters of Portuguese language like
> á, é, ã, õ, ê... but using the traditional method what happens is that I get a?, e? so on and
> so forth. Platform Linux (utf-8). Help appreciated.

This has always worked just fine on the Mac and in Windows, but the Unix
3.6-3 VM (released on April 2, 2004) changed things so you should set
the LC_CTYPE/LC_ALL environment variables in the shell that invokes
squeak. If you use the -nointl option for the VM then dead keys are
disabled (try "squeak --help").

My own shell doesn't have the LC* variables set (it used to have it back
in 2004, but that probably got lost in some upgrade over the years) but
everything still seems to work for this 4.0.3-2202 VM. I use a ABNT2
keyboard. SQUEAK_ENCODING is set to 'UTF-8'.

Good luck!
-- Jecel

Re: How to input diacritics (like á, é, ó, ã...)

CdAB63
Em 11-08-2015 22:25, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. escreveu:
Casimiro,

I'm developing a little parser and need to enter characters of Portuguese language like
á, é, ã, õ, ê... but using the traditional method what happens is that I get a?, e? so on and
so forth. Platform Linux (utf-8). Help appreciated.
This has always worked just fine on the Mac and in Windows, but the Unix
3.6-3 VM (released on April 2, 2004) changed things so you should set
the LC_CTYPE/LC_ALL environment variables in the shell that invokes
squeak. If you use the -nointl option for the VM then dead keys are
disabled (try "squeak --help").
I'm using cog_spur. With the traditional VM diacritics worked OK, but in cog diacritics have always been a problem that I masked by using English.