How to insert a graphic image in Pier

squeakman
Hi,

I am experimenting with Pier and I would like to create a link to an
image (jpg) file. The Pier documentation on syntax says:

The contents of some links, e.g. links pointing to image-files, can be
embedded into the current document by using +s: +reference+. However not
all types of links support embedding and will quietly ignore it.

I don't understand the "+s: +reference+" syntax, can someone provide a
real example that shows how this works?

Thanks,
Frank

Re: How to insert a graphic image in Pier

Lukas Renggli-2
> I don't understand the "+s: +reference+" syntax, can someone provide a
> real example that shows how this works?

It works exactly like a link to a different page, resource or
component. The only difference to *reference* is that no link is
created but the target is included into the owning page.

'reference' is an unix path to an existing structure. If you want to
give a full path you have to type '/foo/bar/file'. In any case, if the
target doesn't exist, the link becomes red and allows you to create a
new page on the fly.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: How to insert a graphic image in Pier

Michael Davies-3
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Squeaker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't understand the "+s: +reference+" syntax, can someone provide a
> real example that shows how this works?

Hi Frank,
Where did you find that syntax? It looks odd to me.

If you want to include an image you can use "+an image>image.png+". As
Lukas says, this will show up as a red link, saying "an image",
pointing to the non-existent file "image.png". If you then click on
it, you can choose to add a "file" type, and whatever file you then
choose to upload will then be stored by Pier as "image.png", and
rendered inline from then on.

Cheers, Michael

Michael Davies wrote:

> Hi Frank,
> Where did you find that syntax? It looks odd to me.

I found the syntax from the "out of the box" version of Pier that comes
with the one click experience.  When you go to the Information page of
Pier and select "Syntax" you get a description of Pier syntax.  The
section "Links" describes the syntax that I referenced.

Cheers,
Frank

Re: How to insert a graphic image in Pier

Lukas Renggli-2
>> Where did you find that syntax? It looks odd to me.
>
> I found the syntax from the "out of the box" version of Pier that
> comes
> with the one click experience.  When you go to the Information page of
> Pier and select "Syntax" you get a description of Pier syntax.  The
> section "Links" describes the syntax that I referenced.

The : is not part of the syntax, that's part of the sentence
describing the syntax.

The syntax for embedding is simply:

        +reference+ or +title>reference+

And for links:

        *reference* or *title>reference*

Reference is absolute or relative path to a structure. For example '/'
would point to the root page. Or '/information/syntax' to the syntax
page.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Lukas