How to install library manager without having X11 installed

How to install library manager without having X11 installed

friedrichdominicus
How do I install the library manager on a server in the net properly on which no X11 is running?

And well yes how do I can hide this behind an Apache reverse proxy?

The docs do not give me a hint. There I just find run ./setup (an X11 program) and exactly that does not run on a server

Regards
Friedrich

Re: How to install library manager without having X11 installed

Marten Feldtmann-2

Installation on a pure server is not possible. They fix this problem in the next release i believe.
Actually I installed it on my desktop Linux and zip the resulting structure to my target system.
And you do not need to hide it behind Apache . Envy is a standalone server

Am 10.11.2014 13:53 schrieb <[hidden email]>:
How do I install the library manager on a server in the net properly on which no X11 is running?

And well yes how do I can hide this behind an Apache reverse proxy?

The docs do not give me a hint. There I just find run ./setup (an X11 program) and exactly that does not run on a server

Regards
Friedrich

Re: How to install library manager without having X11 installed

jtuchel
Hi Friedrich,

yes, that is an amusing little thing about VAST that Instantiations is planning to change any time soon now ;-)

I've had the very same problem a while ago and you can find what I did here:

https://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com/2010/01/04/a-minimal-va-smalltalk-library-server-on-opensuse-11-2/

In fact, there is not very much to install. It is the library file and a tiny executable. The hardest part if you're not a Linux geek is to find out how to open the emsrv port in your firewall ;-)

Please let us know how things go

Joachim

Am Montag, 10. November 2014 13:53:55 UTC+1 schrieb [hidden email]:
How do I install the library manager on a server in the net properly on which no X11 is running?

And well yes how do I can hide this behind an Apache reverse proxy?

The docs do not give me a hint. There I just find run ./setup (an X11 program) and exactly that does not run on a server

Regards
Friedrich

How to install library manager without having X11 installed

jtuchel
Hi Friedrich,

You may have seen that Instantiations just released 8.6.1. Its Linux installer is headless for the library, and for the manager as well as the administrartive tools.

So the answer today is simple: download the latest version ;-)

Joachim

Re: How to install library manager without having X11 installed

John O'Keefe-3
Friedrich -

Just a small qualification. The 8.6.1 install on Linux will still need X11 if you want tyo run the importer to merge managers.

John

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:03:22 PM UTC-5, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
Hi Friedrich,

You may have seen that Instantiations just released 8.6.1. Its Linux installer is headless for the library, and for the manager as well as the administrartive tools.

So the answer today is simple: download the latest version ;-)

Joachim

Re: How to install library manager without having X11 installed

Santiago Cardoso Geller-3
Here we did that Joachim Tuchel explained:
  1. Extract va861_ma files and
    1. copy from /cd_m/manager/base-manager/aix/bin/* to /<destination>/<folder>/

    2. copy from /cd_m/manager/manager/mgr86.dat to /<destination>/<folder>/manager

  2. Execute . /<destination>/<folder>/emsrv

Regards,
Santiago