How to invoke AutoComplete?

TimM-3
Having come back to Smalltalk from a heavy Java and .net stint - I notice
that autocomplete doesn't work homw many developers would expect. If I
position my cursor next to something I expect to be able to type Ctrl-Space
and get it to show me a list of possible completions (I get Josephs addin -
but even after removing that, it still does nothing).

Instead it seems that I only get the completions if I start typing
something, and the next character makes sense?

e.g. If I have the text: String typed out - I can't complete on that - the
only way to know what other kinds of String classes is to type an Uppercase
F or T - that doesn't work so well.

Am I missing a shortcut key that I could be using? If not it would be good
to consider this type of behavior - it might also answer some of the other
comments about the popup list bothering people (if you turn off autopopup
you could still Ctrl-space to get the list)

Tim

Re: How to invoke AutoComplete?

Andy Bower-3
Tim,

> Having come back to Smalltalk from a heavy Java and .net stint - I
> notice that autocomplete doesn't work homw many developers would
> expect. If I position my cursor next to something I expect to be able
> to type Ctrl-Space and get it to show me a list of possible
> completions (I get Josephs addin - but even after removing that, it
> still does nothing).

I think what you're looking for is Ctrl-.

BTW, you can find out all of the shortcut keys that are implemented for
any of the Dolphin tools by choosing Help/Key Bindings in the
appropriate tool window.  If you do this in a browser you'll see that
Ctrl-. is bound to the #completeWord command.

best regards

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support