How to load Magma into Pharo 1.2?

Marco A.
Hi,
What is the currently recommended way to load Magma into Pharo 1.2?

(Still learning in an attempt to move from Java and relational databases to Smalltalk)

What I tried from a fresh install of Pharo 1.2RC2 from
* instructions in the "Installing external projects" window displayed by evaluating "DEVImageWorkspaces openExternalProjectWorkspace" from the "Welcome to Pharo" window leads to a dependency problem with FlapTab. (I saw some posts relating to this that indicate that Miguel Coba knows about this)

* instructions from Miguel Coba at http://www.mail-archive.com/pharo-project@.../msg31841.html (September posting) lead to the following error:
        The method SmalltalkImage osVersion has been deprecated. Use OSPlatform

* instructions from Miguel Coba but replacing MetaRepoForPharo11 with MetaRepoForPharo12 leads to the following error:
        The method SmalltalkImage osVersion has been deprecated. Use OSPlatform

* instructions "Installing Magma" found on http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657 (I used 1.1r1, 1.2alpha1 following the "you should see "r42Final" or a later version") lead to the following error:
        This package depends on the following classes: FlapTab

- Marco A.

Re: How to load Magma into Pharo 1.2?

Chris Muller-3
Hi Marco, I have not tested Magma in Pharo 1.2, but if you simply
proceed past the FlapTab warning, it will be installed correctly.
That warning is simply saying that the special serialization code for
storing FlapTabs in Magma won't be loaded.

But since Pharo doesn't have FlapTabs, you don't need that code.

Also please stay-tuned for a new release of Magma sometime this month
(Feb, 2011) which I _hope_ to have loadable in both Squeak and Pharo.

 - Chris

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Marco A. Gonzalez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> What is the currently recommended way to load Magma into Pharo 1.2?
>
> (Still learning in an attempt to move from Java and relational databases to Smalltalk)
>
> What I tried from a fresh install of Pharo 1.2RC2 from
> * instructions in the "Installing external projects" window displayed by evaluating "DEVImageWorkspaces openExternalProjectWorkspace" from the "Welcome to Pharo" window leads to a dependency problem with FlapTab. (I saw some posts relating to this that indicate that Miguel Coba knows about this)
>
> * instructions from Miguel Coba at http://www.mail-archive.com/pharo-project@.../msg31841.html (September posting) lead to the following error:
>        The method SmalltalkImage osVersion has been deprecated. Use OSPlatform
>
> * instructions from Miguel Coba but replacing MetaRepoForPharo11 with MetaRepoForPharo12 leads to the following error:
>        The method SmalltalkImage osVersion has been deprecated. Use OSPlatform
>
> * instructions "Installing Magma" found on http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657 (I used 1.1r1, 1.2alpha1 following the "you should see "r42Final" or a later version") lead to the following error:
>        This package depends on the following classes:  FlapTab
>
> - Marco A.

Re: How to load Magma into Pharo 1.2?

Miguel Cobá
Hi, I am a little busy right now and haven't had enough time to update
the ConfigurationOfMagma to use the new symbolic versions and to test it
against the 1.2 core image (there are a lot of changes) to see if loads
cleanly.

I will return with an answer/solution in a couple days.
Meanwhile, as Chris said, just pass the FlapTab warning as it has no
effect on everyday usage of Magma.

Cheers

El lun, 07-02-2011 a las 12:52 -0500, Marco A. Gonzalez escribió:

> Hi,
> What is the currently recommended way to load Magma into Pharo 1.2?
>
> (Still learning in an attempt to move from Java and relational databases to Smalltalk)
>
> What I tried from a fresh install of Pharo 1.2RC2 from
> * instructions in the "Installing external projects" window displayed by evaluating "DEVImageWorkspaces openExternalProjectWorkspace" from the "Welcome to Pharo" window leads to a dependency problem with FlapTab. (I saw some posts relating to this that indicate that Miguel Coba knows about this)
>
> * instructions from Miguel Coba at http://www.mail-archive.com/pharo-project@.../msg31841.html (September posting) lead to the following error:
> The method SmalltalkImage osVersion has been deprecated. Use OSPlatform
>
> * instructions from Miguel Coba but replacing MetaRepoForPharo11 with MetaRepoForPharo12 leads to the following error:
> The method SmalltalkImage osVersion has been deprecated. Use OSPlatform
>
> * instructions "Installing Magma" found on http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657 (I used 1.1r1, 1.2alpha1 following the "you should see "r42Final" or a later version") lead to the following error:
> This package depends on the following classes: FlapTab
>
> - Marco A.

Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: How to load Magma into Pharo 1.2?

Marco A.
Chris,
Thanks, that did it.

I used the Http repository method choosing 1.2alpha1 following the instructions from http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657
Looking forward to the new release.

- Marco A.

On Feb 8, 2011, at 1:06 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

> Hi Marco, I have not tested Magma in Pharo 1.2, but if you simply
> proceed past the FlapTab warning, it will be installed correctly.
> That warning is simply saying that the special serialization code for
> storing FlapTabs in Magma won't be loaded.
>
> But since Pharo doesn't have FlapTabs, you don't need that code.
>
> Also please stay-tuned for a new release of Magma sometime this month
> (Feb, 2011) which I _hope_ to have loadable in both Squeak and Pharo.
>
> - Chris
>
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Marco A. Gonzalez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> What is the currently recommended way to load Magma into Pharo 1.2?
>>
>> (Still learning in an attempt to move from Java and relational databases to Smalltalk)
>>
>> What I tried from a fresh install of Pharo 1.2RC2 from
>> * instructions in the "Installing external projects" window displayed by evaluating "DEVImageWorkspaces openExternalProjectWorkspace" from the "Welcome to Pharo" window leads to a dependency problem with FlapTab. (I saw some posts relating to this that indicate that Miguel Coba knows about this)
>>
>> * instructions from Miguel Coba at http://www.mail-archive.com/pharo-project@.../msg31841.html (September posting) lead to the following error:
>>        The method SmalltalkImage osVersion has been deprecated. Use OSPlatform
>>
>> * instructions from Miguel Coba but replacing MetaRepoForPharo11 with MetaRepoForPharo12 leads to the following error:
>>        The method SmalltalkImage osVersion has been deprecated. Use OSPlatform
>>
>> * instructions "Installing Magma" found on http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657 (I used 1.1r1, 1.2alpha1 following the "you should see "r42Final" or a later version") lead to the following error:
>>        This package depends on the following classes:  FlapTab
>>
>> - Marco A.

Marco A. Gonzalez, President
Amagavi, Inc.
Developer of database-driven web sites

web: http://www.amagavi.com/
email on iPhone: [hidden email]
cell: 202-222-5137

Re: How to load Magma into Pharo 1.2?

Marco A.
Miguel,

Thanks for your quick response. The ConfigurationOfMagma way was very nice to use when I originally did it with a previous version. Looking forward to seeing it again but in the meantime, I followed Chris' advice and proceeded past the FlapTab warning and successfully installed.

- Marco A.