How to load STON?

NorbertHartl
After finally upgrading my whole production environment to 3.1.0.1 I like to to try exporting data again. While Xml does not work anymore because I have too much data I thought I give STON a try. But I'm not capable in loading it.

My starting point was a 1.0-beta.8.7.2 release (the one you got after upgrading to 3.1.0.1). Then I did:

Gofer new
  gemsource: 'MetacelloRepository';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfGLASS';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
  load.

upgrading to 1.0-beta.8.7.3
-----------------------------------

(ConfigurationOfGLASS project version: '1.0-beta.8.7.3') load.

upgrading metacello to get file tree and github support

ConfigurationOfMetacello project lastVersion load.

The I tried to load STON using
---------------------------------------

Metacello new
    configuration: 'Ston';
    version: #'stable';
    repository: 'github://dalehenrich/ston:configuration';
    load.

But I only get in the workspace
---------------------------------------

Fetched -> ConfigurationOfSton-dkh.5 --- github://dalehenrich/ston:configuration --- github://dalehenrich/ston:configuration
Loaded -> ConfigurationOfSton-dkh.5 --- github://dalehenrich/ston:configuration --- github://dalehenrich/ston:configuration
...finished 0.8.1

After that I have a ConfigurationOfSton in my image that I would consider rather empty. It didn't load any code and I does not do anything if I try

ConfigurationOfSton project lastVersion load.

What I am doing wrong?

Norbert

Re: How to load STON?

Dale Henrichs
Norbert,

I didn't expect anyone else to be using the code from the github repositories, so I haven't bothered keeping the Configuration up-to-date:) ... if you look at the configuration you'll see that the only versions defined are for pharo only.

Do not despair! I have been using STON in my recent topez[1] work (screenshot [2]) and it is working well for me.

I have been using the baseline to load STON, instead of a configuration (I should probably snap off a new configuration version). The following should do the trick for you:

  Metacello new
    baseline: 'Ston';
    repository: 'github://dalehenrich/ston:gemstone/repository';
    load.

If you want end up making changes to the gemstone version of ston, you'll need to clone your own git repo, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it...

Dale

PS: Topez will turn into the next generation of GemTools in the next couple of months

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/topez
[2] https://raw.github.com/dalehenrich/topez/debugger/docs/screenShot_2012-10-24.png
| After finally upgrading my whole production environment to 3.1.0.1 I
| like to to try exporting data again. While Xml does not work anymore
| because I have too much data I thought I give STON a try. But I'm
| not capable in loading it.
|
| My starting point was a 1.0-beta.8.7.2 release (the one you got after
| upgrading to 3.1.0.1). Then I did:

| ---------------------------------------------------
|
| Gofer new
|   gemsource: 'MetacelloRepository';
|   package: 'ConfigurationOfGLASS';
|   package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
|   load.
|
| upgrading to 1.0-beta.8.7.3
| -----------------------------------
|
| (ConfigurationOfGLASS project version: '1.0-beta.8.7.3') load.
|
| upgrading metacello to get file tree and github support
|
| ConfigurationOfMetacello project lastVersion load.
|
| The I tried to load STON using
| ---------------------------------------
|
| Metacello new
|     configuration: 'Ston';
|     version: #'stable';
|     repository: 'github://dalehenrich/ston:configuration';
|     load.
|
| But I only get in the workspace
| ---------------------------------------
|
| Fetched -> ConfigurationOfSton-dkh.5 ---
| github://dalehenrich/ston:configuration ---
| github://dalehenrich/ston:configuration
| Loaded -> ConfigurationOfSton-dkh.5 ---
| github://dalehenrich/ston:configuration ---
| github://dalehenrich/ston:configuration
| ...finished 0.8.1
|
| After that I have a ConfigurationOfSton in my image that I would
| consider rather empty. It didn't load any code and I does not do
| anything if I try
|
| ConfigurationOfSton project lastVersion load.
|
| What I am doing wrong?
|
| Norbert

Re: How to load STON?

NorbertHartl
Dale,

I'm happy to test whatever you throw in front of me. At this time I just want to use the STON code and I didn't find a gemstone variant for it.

Norbert

Am 24.10.2012 um 20:43 schrieb Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:

> Norbert,
>
> I didn't expect anyone else to be using the code from the github repositories, so I haven't bothered keeping the Configuration up-to-date:) ... if you look at the configuration you'll see that the only versions defined are for pharo only.
>
> Do not despair! I have been using STON in my recent topez[1] work (screenshot [2]) and it is working well for me.
>
> I have been using the baseline to load STON, instead of a configuration (I should probably snap off a new configuration version). The following should do the trick for you:
>
>  Metacello new
>    baseline: 'Ston';
>    repository: 'github://dalehenrich/ston:gemstone/repository';
>    load.
>
> If you want end up making changes to the gemstone version of ston, you'll need to clone your own git repo, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it...
>
> Dale
>
> PS: Topez will turn into the next generation of GemTools in the next couple of months
>
> [1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/topez
> [2] https://raw.github.com/dalehenrich/topez/debugger/docs/screenShot_2012-10-24.png

Re: How to load STON?

Dale Henrichs
Go ahead and load the baseline and take it for a spin ... I am not doing active development on it as it seems to be working without problems.

Dale

| I'm happy to test whatever you throw in front of me. At this time I
| just want to use the STON code and I didn't find a gemstone variant
| for it.
|
| Norbert
|
| Am 24.10.2012 um 20:43 schrieb Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:
|
| > Norbert,
| >
| > I didn't expect anyone else to be using the code from the github
| > repositories, so I haven't bothered keeping the Configuration
| > up-to-date:) ... if you look at the configuration you'll see that
| > the only versions defined are for pharo only.
| >
| > Do not despair! I have been using STON in my recent topez[1] work
| > (screenshot [2]) and it is working well for me.
| >
| > I have been using the baseline to load STON, instead of a
| > configuration (I should probably snap off a new configuration
| > version). The following should do the trick for you:
| >
| >  Metacello new
| >    baseline: 'Ston';
| >    repository: 'github://dalehenrich/ston:gemstone/repository';
| >    load.
| >
| > If you want end up making changes to the gemstone version of ston,
| > you'll need to clone your own git repo, but we'll cross that
| > bridge when we come to it...
| >
| > Dale
| >
| > PS: Topez will turn into the next generation of GemTools in the
| > next couple of months
| >
| > [1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/topez
| > [2]
| > https://raw.github.com/dalehenrich/topez/debugger/docs/screenShot_2012-10-24.png
| > |
| > | After finally upgrading my whole production environment to
| > | 3.1.0.1 I
| > | like to to try exporting data again. While Xml does not work
| > | anymore
| > | because I have too much data I thought I give STON a try. But I'm
| > | not capable in loading it.
| > |
| > | My starting point was a 1.0-beta.8.7.2 release (the one you got
| > | after
| > | upgrading to 3.1.0.1). Then I did:
| > |
| > | ---------------------------------------------------
| > |
| > | Gofer new
| > |   gemsource: 'MetacelloRepository';
| > |   package: 'ConfigurationOfGLASS';
| > |   package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
| > |   load.
| > |
| > | upgrading to 1.0-beta.8.7.3
| > | -----------------------------------
| > |
| > | (ConfigurationOfGLASS project version: '1.0-beta.8.7.3') load.
| > |
| > | upgrading metacello to get file tree and github support
| > | ---------------------------------------------------------------------
| > |
| > | ConfigurationOfMetacello project lastVersion load.
| > |
| > | The I tried to load STON using
| > | ---------------------------------------
| > |
| > | Metacello new
| > |     configuration: 'Ston';
| > |     version: #'stable';
| > |     repository: 'github://dalehenrich/ston:configuration';
| > |     load.
| > |
| > | But I only get in the workspace
| > | ---------------------------------------
| > |
| > | Fetched -> ConfigurationOfSton-dkh.5 ---
| > | github://dalehenrich/ston:configuration ---
| > | github://dalehenrich/ston:configuration
| > | Loaded -> ConfigurationOfSton-dkh.5 ---
| > | github://dalehenrich/ston:configuration ---
| > | github://dalehenrich/ston:configuration
| > | ...finished 0.8.1
| > |
| > | After that I have a ConfigurationOfSton in my image that I would
| > | consider rather empty. It didn't load any code and I does not do
| > | anything if I try
| > |
| > | ConfigurationOfSton project lastVersion load.
| > |
| > | What I am doing wrong?
| > |
| > | Norbert
| > |
| > |

Re: How to load STON?

Dale Henrichs
Norbert,

I'm talking about STON there ... the topez stuff is under active development but is too new to share:)

Dale

| Go ahead and load the baseline and take it for a spin ... I am not
| doing active development on it as it seems to be working without
| problems.
|
| Dale

| |
| | Dale,
| |
| | I'm happy to test whatever you throw in front of me. At this time I
| | just want to use the STON code and I didn't find a gemstone variant
| | for it.
| |
| | Norbert
| |
| | Am 24.10.2012 um 20:43 schrieb Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:
| |
| | > Norbert,
| | >
| | > I didn't expect anyone else to be using the code from the github
| | > repositories, so I haven't bothered keeping the Configuration
| | > up-to-date:) ... if you look at the configuration you'll see that
| | > the only versions defined are for pharo only.
| | >
| | > Do not despair! I have been using STON in my recent topez[1] work
| | > (screenshot [2]) and it is working well for me.
| | >
| | > I have been using the baseline to load STON, instead of a
| | > configuration (I should probably snap off a new configuration
| | > version). The following should do the trick for you:
| | >
| | >  Metacello new
| | >    baseline: 'Ston';
| | >    repository: 'github://dalehenrich/ston:gemstone/repository';
| | >    load.
| | >
| | > If you want end up making changes to the gemstone version of
| | > ston,
| | > you'll need to clone your own git repo, but we'll cross that
| | > bridge when we come to it...
| | >
| | > Dale
| | >
| | > PS: Topez will turn into the next generation of GemTools in the
| | > next couple of months
| | >
| | > [1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/topez
| | > [2]
| | > https://raw.github.com/dalehenrich/topez/debugger/docs/screenShot_2012-10-24.png
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| |
| |

Re: [GS/SS Beta] How to load STON?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Dale,

Sorry for reviving this old thread. But I am having the same problem. I am first trying to load STON as a project referece like this:

spec project: 'Ston' with: [
                spec
                        className: 'ConfigurationOfSton';
                        repository: 'github://dalehenrich/ston:gemstone/repository';
loads: #( 'default') ].

But then I get the error saying (note the white space in the middle):

...RETRY->ConfigurationOfNeo JSON ...RETRY->ConfigurationOfNeo JSON ...FAILED->ConfigurationOfNeo JSON

If I manually (via Metacello scripting) load the BASELINE of STON as you suggested it works correct.... However...since I am loading STON via a project reference I cannot use a baseline and I am forced to use the ConfigurationOf, which fails.

Any idea what could we do?

Thanks in advance,

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Norbert,

I'm talking about STON there ... the topez stuff is under active development but is too new to share:)

Dale

| Go ahead and load the baseline and take it for a spin ... I am not
| doing active development on it as it seems to be working without
| problems.
|
| Dale

| |
| | I'm happy to test whatever you throw in front of me. At this time I
| | just want to use the STON code and I didn't find a gemstone variant
| | for it.
| |
| | Norbert
| |
| | Am 24.10.2012 um 20:43 schrieb Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:
| |
| | > Norbert,
| | >
| | > I didn't expect anyone else to be using the code from the github
| | > repositories, so I haven't bothered keeping the Configuration
| | > up-to-date:) ... if you look at the configuration you'll see that
| | > the only versions defined are for pharo only.
| | >
| | > Do not despair! I have been using STON in my recent topez[1] work
| | > (screenshot [2]) and it is working well for me.
| | >
| | > I have been using the baseline to load STON, instead of a
| | > configuration (I should probably snap off a new configuration
| | > version). The following should do the trick for you:
| | >
| | >  Metacello new
| | >    baseline: 'Ston';
| | >    repository: 'github://dalehenrich/ston:gemstone/repository';
| | >    load.
| | >
| | > If you want end up making changes to the gemstone version of
| | > ston,
| | > you'll need to clone your own git repo, but we'll cross that
| | > bridge when we come to it...
| | >
| | > Dale
| | >
| | > PS: Topez will turn into the next generation of GemTools in the
| | > next couple of months
| | >
| | > [1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/topez
| | > [2]
| | > https://raw.github.com/dalehenrich/topez/debugger/docs/screenShot_2012-10-24.png
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| |
| |

Re: [GS/SS Beta] How to load STON?

Johan Brichau-3
Hi Mariano,

For a github project, you need to reference the baseline:

spec
 baseline: 'ProjectOnGithub'
 with: [  spec
                className: 'BaselineOfProjectOnGithub';
                repository: 'github://glassdb/projectongithub:master/repository' ]

Johan

On 12 Mar 2015, at 21:07, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dale,

Sorry for reviving this old thread. But I am having the same problem. I am first trying to load STON as a project referece like this:

spec project: 'Ston' with: [
                spec
                        className: 'ConfigurationOfSton';
                        repository: 'github://dalehenrich/ston:gemstone/repository';
loads: #( 'default') ].

But then I get the error saying (note the white space in the middle):

...RETRY->ConfigurationOfNeo JSON ...RETRY->ConfigurationOfNeo JSON ...FAILED->ConfigurationOfNeo JSON

If I manually (via Metacello scripting) load the BASELINE of STON as you suggested it works correct.... However...since I am loading STON via a project reference I cannot use a baseline and I am forced to use the ConfigurationOf, which fails.

Any idea what could we do?

Thanks in advance,

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Norbert,

I'm talking about STON there ... the topez stuff is under active development but is too new to share:)

Dale

| Go ahead and load the baseline and take it for a spin ... I am not
| doing active development on it as it seems to be working without
| problems.
|
| Dale

| |
| | I'm happy to test whatever you throw in front of me. At this time I
| | just want to use the STON code and I didn't find a gemstone variant
| | for it.
| |
| | Norbert
| |
| | Am 24.10.2012 um 20:43 schrieb Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:
| |
| | > Norbert,
| | >
| | > I didn't expect anyone else to be using the code from the github
| | > repositories, so I haven't bothered keeping the Configuration
| | > up-to-date:) ... if you look at the configuration you'll see that
| | > the only versions defined are for pharo only.
| | >
| | > Do not despair! I have been using STON in my recent topez[1] work
| | > (screenshot [2]) and it is working well for me.
| | >
| | > I have been using the baseline to load STON, instead of a
| | > configuration (I should probably snap off a new configuration
| | > version). The following should do the trick for you:
| | >
| | >  Metacello new
| | >    baseline: 'Ston';
| | >    repository: 'github://dalehenrich/ston:gemstone/repository';
| | >    load.
| | >
| | > If you want end up making changes to the gemstone version of
| | > ston,
| | > you'll need to clone your own git repo, but we'll cross that
| | > bridge when we come to it...
| | >
| | > Dale
| | >
| | > PS: Topez will turn into the next generation of GemTools in the
| | > next couple of months
| | >
| | > [1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/topez
| | > [2]
| | > https://raw.github.com/dalehenrich/topez/debugger/docs/screenShot_2012-10-24.png
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| |
| |

Re: [GS/SS Beta] How to load STON?

Dale Henrichs-3
Just a tweak or two on Johan's suggestion:

spec
  baseline: 'Ston'
  with: [
    spec
       loads: #('default');
       repository: 'github://GsDevKit/ston:gemstone/repository' ].

So you can use baseline:with: and avoid having to add className: as long as the name used for the project is prefixed by BaselineOf.

Also note that Ston has been moved to GsDevKit/ston (I maintain a fork for backwards compatibility).

BTW, for baseline:with: to work you need to be using the Metacello scripting api (after running GsUpgrader for GemStone and I think Pharo3.0 or later) ...

Dale

On 03/12/2015 02:05 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:
Hi Mariano,

For a github project, you need to reference the baseline:

spec
 baseline: 'ProjectOnGithub'
 with: [  spec
                className: 'BaselineOfProjectOnGithub';
                repository: 'github://glassdb/projectongithub:master/repository' ]

Johan

On 12 Mar 2015, at 21:07, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dale,

Sorry for reviving this old thread. But I am having the same problem. I am first trying to load STON as a project referece like this:

spec project: 'Ston' with: [
                spec
                        className: 'ConfigurationOfSton';
                        repository: 'github://dalehenrich/ston:gemstone/repository';
loads: #( 'default') ].

But then I get the error saying (note the white space in the middle):

...RETRY->ConfigurationOfNeo JSON ...RETRY->ConfigurationOfNeo JSON ...FAILED->ConfigurationOfNeo JSON

If I manually (via Metacello scripting) load the BASELINE of STON as you suggested it works correct.... However...since I am loading STON via a project reference I cannot use a baseline and I am forced to use the ConfigurationOf, which fails.

Any idea what could we do?

Thanks in advance,

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Norbert,

I'm talking about STON there ... the topez stuff is under active development but is too new to share:)

Dale

| Go ahead and load the baseline and take it for a spin ... I am not
| doing active development on it as it seems to be working without
| problems.
|
| Dale

| |
| | I'm happy to test whatever you throw in front of me. At this time I
| | just want to use the STON code and I didn't find a gemstone variant
| | for it.
| |
| | Norbert
| |
| | Am 24.10.2012 um 20:43 schrieb Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:
| |
| | > Norbert,
| | >
| | > I didn't expect anyone else to be using the code from the github
| | > repositories, so I haven't bothered keeping the Configuration
| | > up-to-date:) ... if you look at the configuration you'll see that
| | > the only versions defined are for pharo only.
| | >
| | > Do not despair! I have been using STON in my recent topez[1] work
| | > (screenshot [2]) and it is working well for me.
| | >
| | > I have been using the baseline to load STON, instead of a
| | > configuration (I should probably snap off a new configuration
| | > version). The following should do the trick for you:
| | >
| | >  Metacello new
| | >    baseline: 'Ston';
| | >    repository: 'github://dalehenrich/ston:gemstone/repository';
| | >    load.
| | >
| | > If you want end up making changes to the gemstone version of
| | > ston,
| | > you'll need to clone your own git repo, but we'll cross that
| | > bridge when we come to it...
| | >
| | > Dale
| | >
| | > PS: Topez will turn into the next generation of GemTools in the
| | > next couple of months
| | >
| | > [1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/topez
| | > [2]
| | > https://raw.github.com/dalehenrich/topez/debugger/docs/screenShot_2012-10-24.png