How to make seaside serve LK?

LawsonEnglish
The title says it all. It seems perfectly doable on its face, but I'm
not sure how to get started.

Thanks for any pointers.

Lawson

Re: How to make seaside serve LK?

Bert Freudenberg

On 26.06.2010, at 09:54, Lawson English wrote:

> The title says it all. It seems perfectly doable on its face, but I'm
> not sure how to get started.

From the server's point of view, LK is just a bunch of files. They get downloaded when running LK, and uploaded when saving. You can use Seaside to serve them, sure, but it's overkill.

You should figure out first what you want the Seaside app to do. For regular LK, all the logic is performed client-side. You do not need complex server-side logic, which is what Seaside is good at. A "dumb" server is totally sufficient.

If you want to learn how to serve files using Seaside, that has nothing to do with LK itself. So please ask on the Seaside mailing list, not here.

- Bert -

On 6/26/10 3:47 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 26.06.2010, at 09:54, Lawson English wrote:
>

>> The title says it all. It seems perfectly doable on its face, but I'm
>> not sure how to get started.
>>
>  From the server's point of view, LK is just a bunch of files. They get downloaded when running LK, and uploaded when saving. You can use Seaside to serve them, sure, but it's overkill.

Thanks. I was pretty sure that was the case, but not positive. The idea
(for now) is to create a standalone, one-click seaside server with LK
interface that I can use to experiment with Second Life interfacing
without having to do much by way of widget creation. The scriptali.us
controls often seem  not to work as I'd like, and I am hoping that
localhost-served LK will provide an easy way to create control panels
on-the-fly.

> You should figure out first what you want the Seaside app to do. For regular LK, all the logic is performed client-side. You do not need complex server-side logic, which is what Seaside is good at. A "dumb" server is totally sufficient.

Sure, but the logic would come from the messages passed back to the
server, as always.

> If you want to learn how to serve files using Seaside, that has nothing to do with LK itself. So please ask on the Seaside mailing list, not here.

Thanks for your response.

Lawson

Re: How to make seaside serve LK?

Robert Krahn
Hi, Lawson --

If you only want to process certain requests with Seaside it is not necessary to serve the LK files with it because Apache is much better suited doing this.

Example:
A while ago we created a simple chat app: http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/BWINF/chat-prototype.xhtml

Lively is still run by Apache but under http://lively-kernel.org/web-collab-squeak we process POST requests to implement the chat's login/logout/broadcasting logic. The URL is transformed by a Apache proxy rule so that it reaches the Squeak server ("ProxyPass /web-collab-squeak http://localhost:8080"). By the way, in Squeak we didn't use Seaside but the good old KomHttpServer (Andreas Raab's WebClient framework would now probably be a good alternative) since Seaside would be overkill for such a simple task.

Best,
Robert

On Jun 26, 2010, at 1:57 PM, Lawson English wrote:

On 6/26/10 3:47 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
On 26.06.2010, at 09:54, Lawson English wrote:

The title says it all. It seems perfectly doable on its face, but I'm
not sure how to get started.

From the server's point of view, LK is just a bunch of files. They get downloaded when running LK, and uploaded when saving. You can use Seaside to serve them, sure, but it's overkill.

On 6/26/10 9:23 AM, Robert Krahn wrote:

> Hi, Lawson --
>
> If you only want to process certain requests with Seaside it is not
> necessary to serve the LK files with it because Apache is much better
> suited doing this.
>
> Example:
> A while ago we created a simple chat app:
> http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/BWINF/chat-prototype.xhtml
>
> Lively is still run by Apache but under
> http://lively-kernel.org/web-collab-squeak we process POST requests to
> implement the chat's login/logout/broadcasting logic. The URL is
> transformed by a Apache proxy rule so that it reaches the Squeak
> server ("ProxyPass /web-collab-squeak http://localhost:8080"). By the
> way, in Squeak we didn't use Seaside but the good old KomHttpServer
> (Andreas Raab's WebClient framework would now probably be a good
> alternative) since Seaside would be overkill for such a simple task.

the nice thing about seaside is that I can use it as a one-click install
localhost server and use server-side squeak code to interact with the
Second Life client and server: use the webpage as an interface for the
squeak code injecting data packets for SL.

Lawson

On 26.06.2010, at 19:02, Lawson English wrote:

> On 6/26/10 9:23 AM, Robert Krahn wrote:
>> Hi, Lawson --
>>
>> If you only want to process certain requests with Seaside it is not
>> necessary to serve the LK files with it because Apache is much better
>> suited doing this.
>>
>> Example:
>> A while ago we created a simple chat app:
>> http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/BWINF/chat-prototype.xhtml
>>
>> Lively is still run by Apache but under
>> http://lively-kernel.org/web-collab-squeak we process POST requests to
>> implement the chat's login/logout/broadcasting logic. The URL is
>> transformed by a Apache proxy rule so that it reaches the Squeak
>> server ("ProxyPass /web-collab-squeak http://localhost:8080"). By the
>> way, in Squeak we didn't use Seaside but the good old KomHttpServer
>> (Andreas Raab's WebClient framework would now probably be a good
>> alternative) since Seaside would be overkill for such a simple task.
>
> the nice thing about seaside is that I can use it as a one-click install
> localhost server and use server-side squeak code to interact with the
> Second Life client and server: use the webpage as an interface for the
> squeak code injecting data packets for SL.

That's hardly specific to Seaside, any Squeak web server would allow that.

- Bert -