How to manage todo?

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

We have bug entries and now I have one question.
Do we want to mix or not todo within them?
I deleted all the old tasks from the inria web site.
Now we could use it.

Do you have experience managing todo (which may be orthogonal to issue and bug trcking)?

Re: How to manage todo?

Stéphane Ducasse
I propose that we use

Type-Task or Type-ToDo for the management of some items that are not directly bug.
Marcus? adrian? is it ok for you?
Stef

On Apr 7, 2010, at 3:38 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> We have bug entries and now I have one question.
> Do we want to mix or not todo within them?
> I deleted all the old tasks from the inria web site.
> Now we could use it.
>
> Do you have experience managing todo (which may be orthogonal to issue and bug trcking)?
>
> Stef

Re: How to manage todo?

Marcus Denker-4

On Apr 7, 2010, at 3:50 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I propose that we use
>
> Type-Task or Type-ToDo for the management of some items that are not directly bug.
> Marcus? adrian? is it ok for you?

As a frist step good. I personally would like to destinguish bugs from feature requests. Bugs
are bad and I want as little as possible. Feature request are good and I want as many as possible...

Another aspect is: Bugs I feel kind of responsible to fix. Feature request I say: If this is really important,
someone will do it. (someone not me).

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: How to manage todo?

Adrian Lienhard
On Apr 7, 2010, at 15:50 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I propose that we use
>
> Type-Task or Type-ToDo for the management of some items that are not directly bug.
> Marcus? adrian? is it ok for you?

yes, looks good

Adrian

> Stef
>
> On Apr 7, 2010, at 3:38 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> We have bug entries and now I have one question.
>> Do we want to mix or not todo within them?
>> I deleted all the old tasks from the inria web site.
>> Now we could use it.
>>
>> Do you have experience managing todo (which may be orthogonal to issue and bug trcking)?
>>
>> Stef

Re: How to manage todo?

> I propose that we use
>>
>> Type-Task or Type-ToDo for the management of some items that are not directly bug.
>> Marcus? adrian? is it ok for you?
>
> As a frist step good. I personally would like to destinguish bugs from feature requests. Bugs
> are bad and I want as little as possible. Feature request are good and I want as many as possible...
>
> Another aspect is: Bugs I feel kind of responsible to fix. Feature request I say: If this is really important,
> someone will do it. (someone not me).

Ok I like this distinction. I will recategorise.
I added some TODO items (like going to the prefecture)

Stef

> Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: How to manage todo?

Tudor Girba
In Moose we use mainly:
Type-Engineering     = (Re)engineering the code base to enhance its
quality
Type-Defect          = Report of a software defect
Type-Enhancement     = Request for enhancement

and from time to time:
Type-Project         = Long-term project or autonomous task
Type-Review          = Request for a code review
Type-Other           = Some other kind of issue

Cheers,
Doru

On 7 Apr 2010, at 16:30, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> I propose that we use
>>>
>>> Type-Task or Type-ToDo for the management of some items that are
>>> not directly bug.
>>> Marcus? adrian? is it ok for you?
>>
>> As a frist step good. I personally would like to destinguish bugs
>> from feature requests. Bugs
>> are bad and I want as little as possible. Feature request are good
>> and I want as many as possible...
>>
>> Another aspect is: Bugs I feel kind of responsible to fix. Feature
>> request I say: If this is really important,
>> someone will do it. (someone not me).
>
> Ok I like this distinction. I will recategorise.
> I added some TODO items (like going to the prefecture)
>
> Stef
>

>> Marcus
>>

>> --
>> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
>> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

www.tudorgirba.com

"Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

Re: How to manage todo?

Stéphane Ducasse
tx
I checked the inria task is too complex (the idea is to manage dependency and produce gantt about tasks).

Stef

> In Moose we use mainly:
> Type-Engineering     = (Re)engineering the code base to enhance its quality
> Type-Defect          = Report of a software defect
> Type-Enhancement     = Request for enhancement
>
> and from time to time:
> Type-Project         = Long-term project or autonomous task
> Type-Review          = Request for a code review
> Type-Other           = Some other kind of issue
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> On 7 Apr 2010, at 16:30, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>>> I propose that we use

>>> As a frist step good. I personally would like to destinguish bugs from feature requests. Bugs
>>> are bad and I want as little as possible. Feature request are good and I want as many as possible...
>>>
>>> Another aspect is: Bugs I feel kind of responsible to fix. Feature request I say: If this is really important,
>>> someone will do it. (someone not me).
>>
>> Ok I like this distinction. I will recategorise.
>> I added some TODO items (like going to the prefecture)
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> Marcus
>>>

>>> --
>>> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
>>> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

Re: How to manage todo?

laurent laffont

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
tx
I checked the inria task is too complex (the idea is to manage dependency and produce gantt about tasks).

Like this: http://trac.edgewall.org/milestone/0.12 ?

Laurent Laffont

Stef

On Apr 8, 2010, at 8:56 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> tx
> I checked the inria task is too complex (the idea is to manage dependency and produce gantt about tasks).
>

> Like this: http://trac.edgewall.org/milestone/0.12 ?

I do not know I could not understand it
I have the iumpression that we tasks with optionally an order notion but not been forced
to enter start date, dependency, estimated number of hours.

running tests using the method menu

Fernando olivero
Can we alter the placements of the items in the method menu?

Sometimes i click just to pixels above and  erase a method instead of running the test!

methodmenus.png (45K) Download Attachment

Re: running tests using the method menu

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes!
The sad part of the story is that we changed all the menus in O2 but O2 will never make it.

stef
On Apr 8, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Fernando olivero wrote:

> Can we alter the placements of the items in the method menu?
>
> Sometimes i click just to pixels above and  erase a method instead of running the test!
>
> <methodmenus.png>_______________________________________________
> Pharo-project mailing list

Re: running tests using the method menu

Lukas Renggli
> Can we alter the placements of the items in the method menu?

Yeah, this is an unfortunate placement, however it logically belongs
to the group of actions commands.

Personally I didn't notice that problem, because I always use Ctrl+T
to run the test.

In the latest OB with refactoring tools installed you can undo/redo
most actions (method definition, class definition, method removal,
method definition, method change, and of course all refactorings).
Just click on 'refactor --> undo' in case you accidentally
deleted/overwrite something.

> The sad part of the story is that we changed all the menus in O2 but O2 will never make it.

Shortening the menus is good, but not to the point where logical
groups are split into unrelated and messy submenus.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: running tests using the method menu

Lukas Renggli
Name: OB-SUnitIntegration-lr.25
Author: lr
Time: 8 April 2010, 11:12:28 am
UUID: 1cb48cf9-d265-4f04-8146-6a594a1b4ce0
Ancestors: OB-SUnitIntegration-lr.24

- put menu item at the top

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: running tests using the method menu

Fernando olivero
great, much safer placements.

But i think now i will force myself to start using cmd-T.

Fernando

On Apr 8, 2010, at 11:02 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Can we alter the placements of the items in the method menu?
>
> Yeah, this is an unfortunate placement, however it logically belongs
> to the group of actions commands.
>
> Personally I didn't notice that problem, because I always use Ctrl+T
> to run the test.
>
> In the latest OB with refactoring tools installed you can undo/redo
> most actions (method definition, class definition, method removal,
> method definition, method change, and of course all refactorings).
> Just click on 'refactor --> undo' in case you accidentally
> deleted/overwrite something.
>
>> The sad part of the story is that we changed all the menus in O2 but O2 will never make it.
>
> Shortening the menus is good, but not to the point where logical
> groups are split into unrelated and messy submenus.

don't be negative this is not because something does not suit you that it
is bad or that others do not like it.

stef

> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: How to manage todo?

csrabak
Em 07/04/2010 17:48, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:

> tx I  checked the inria task is  too complex (the idea  is to manage
> dependency and produce gantt about tasks).

Stef,

If include in our process the concept of periodically perusing the [proposed] tasks and define the dependencies, it may worth the added complexity.

My .019999....

--
Cesar Rabak