How to manage your code with Iceberg

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

I'm happy to announce a new booklet (soon to be released) on how to manage code with Iceberg. We plan to discuss management patterns in the future.

https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-ManagingCode

Stef and Guille

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: How to manage your code with Iceberg

Tudor Girba-2
Nice work! And very useful for newcomers, too :)

Doru

--
www.feenk.com

"Presenting is storytelling."

Re: How to manage your code with Iceberg

ducasse
We will add patterns of management.

I would like to discuss about releaser at Pharodays :)

Stef

> On 24 Mar 2019, at 15:21, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Nice work! And very useful for newcomers, too :)
>
> Doru
>
>> On Mar 24, 2019, at 10:22 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm happy to announce a new booklet (soon to be released) on how to manage code with Iceberg. We plan to discuss management patterns in the future.
>>
>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-ManagingCode
>>
>> Stef and Guille

>> Stéphane Ducasse
>> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
>> http://www.synectique.eu / http://www.pharo.org
>> 03 59 35 87 52
>> Assistant: Julie Jonas
>> FAX 03 59 57 78 50
>> TEL 03 59 35 86 16
>> S. Ducasse - Inria
>> 40, avenue Halley,
>> Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
>> Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
>> France
>>

> --
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Presenting is storytelling."

Re: How to manage your code with Iceberg

Tudor Girba-2
We’d be happy to talk about it :)

Doru

> On Mar 24, 2019, at 4:40 PM, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We will add patterns of management.
>
> I would like to discuss about releaser at Pharodays :)
>
> Stef
>
>> On 24 Mar 2019, at 15:21, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Nice work! And very useful for newcomers, too :)
>>
>> Doru
>>
>>> On Mar 24, 2019, at 10:22 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm happy to announce a new booklet (soon to be released) on how to manage code with Iceberg. We plan to discuss management patterns in the future.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-ManagingCode
>>>
>>> Stef and Guille

>>> Stéphane Ducasse
>>> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
>>> http://www.synectique.eu / http://www.pharo.org
>>> 03 59 35 87 52
>>> Assistant: Julie Jonas
>>> FAX 03 59 57 78 50
>>> TEL 03 59 35 86 16
>>> S. Ducasse - Inria
>>> 40, avenue Halley,
>>> Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
>>> Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
>>> France
>>>

>> --
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Presenting is storytelling."

--
www.feenk.com

"Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

Re: How to manage your code with Iceberg

Tim Mackinnon
Possibly it could be a bot - as I’d be interested in understanding more about that too.

> On 24 Mar 2019, at 17:51, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We’d be happy to talk about it :)
>
> Doru
>

>> On Mar 24, 2019, at 4:40 PM, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> We will add patterns of management.
>>
>> I would like to discuss about releaser at Pharodays :)
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>> On 24 Mar 2019, at 15:21, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Nice work! And very useful for newcomers, too :)
>>>
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> "Presenting is storytelling."
>>>

> --
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

Re: How to manage your code with Iceberg

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
> I'm happy to announce a new booklet

Cool! FYI the bin tray link on GH -> “The requested path was not found.”

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: How to manage your code with Iceberg

Tim Mackinnon
Damn you autocorrect - I mean “BOF” about releaser.

> On 24 Mar 2019, at 20:31, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Possibly it could be a bot - as I’d be interested in understanding more about that too.
>
>> On 24 Mar 2019, at 17:51, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> We’d be happy to talk about it :)
>>
>> Doru
>>

>>> On Mar 24, 2019, at 4:40 PM, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> We will add patterns of management.
>>>
>>> I would like to discuss about releaser at Pharodays :)
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

Re: How to manage your code with Iceberg

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> FYI the bin tray link on GH -> “The requested path was not found.”

It's working now.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: How to manage your code with Iceberg

ducasse
For recent projects but for old projects we will not be able to update them anymore.
I’m looking for an alternative to bintray.

Stef

> On 25 Mar 2019, at 01:57, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sean P. DeNigris wrote
>> FYI the bin tray link on GH -> “The requested path was not found.”
>
> It's working now.
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: How to manage your code with Iceberg

SergeStinckwich

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 10:11 AM ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
For recent projects but for old projects we will not be able to update them anymore.
I’m looking for an alternative to bintray.

Why not using github releases like Etienne is doing here:

--
Serge Stinckwic

Int. Research Unit
 on Modelling/Simulation of Complex Systems (UMMISCO)
Sorbonne University
 (SU)
French National Research Institute for Sustainable Development (IRD)
niversity of Yaoundé I, Cameroun
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
https://twitter.com/SergeStinckwich

Re: How to manage your code with Iceberg

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-ManagingCode

I submitted a comprehensive grammar pass. I just want to point out that this
was only possible due to the incredible amount of work people have done to
move us into the git/GH world. In the past, my experience was that
submitting a fix often took at least as long as doing the actual fixing (and
significantly longer for small fixes)!

Past:
1. save the packages individually
2. Publish the code
  a. if the repo allowed writing, put them there
  b. if read-only, come up with some alternative, like creating your own
monolithic staging area repo, or other DIY solution
  c. if the repo was abandoned, you'd probably be better off giving up and
finding a new profession, because you may end up manually copying the repo
with no API way to establish the link
3. create a mailing list thread for discussion
4. Wait and hope

Present:
1. Save all project changes in one step
2. Click "Create PR"
Bonus #1: Go have a beer
Bonus #2: you can keep working with your new changes by loading from your
fork until the canonical accepts the PR

So: /thank you/ to everyone involved in git/GH/Iceberg support!!!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: How to manage your code with Iceberg

ducasse
thanks Sean
I did not see that stefan did a pass too. So I will check the diff.

Stef