How to migrate a VW-Application to Seaside

How to migrate a VW-Application to Seaside

Josef Springer
Hello,

I am the CEO of JOOPS Informationstechnik GmbH, and responsible for the development of the Business-Process-Management Suite OfficeTalk. OfficeTalk is developed with VisualWorks (7.7 bis 7.9) and awarded many times. OfficeTalk is a Client-Server-System and we think about migration to Seaside as a Webapplikation. Can somebody give me some hints of how to migrate best. Is documentation or any other resource available ?
(Informations about OfficeTalk you can find in http://www.joops.com/OfficeTalkFlyer.htm)
Signature

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards,
Josef Springer
(Geschäftsleitung/Management)

Postal
Address
[hidden email]
Orlando-di-Lasso Str. 2
D-85640 Putzbrunn
Phone
Office
+49 (0)89 600 6920

Phone Fax
+49 (0)89 600 69220

Web
Web
http://www.joops.com

JOOPS
(HRB München 86239)

-- the software company --

AW: [Seaside] How to migrate a VW-Application to Seaside

Georg Heeg
Signature

Lieber Herr Springer,

Your question was one of the reasons to develop seaBreeze (seaBreeze.heeg.de). seaBreeze is MIT license and can be found in the Cincom Smalltalk Public Store. Additionally there are converters from other systems to seaBreeze. If you are interested in those, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Georg Heeg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812

Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen

Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

Re: AW: [Seaside] How to migrate a VW-Application to Seaside

Josef Springer
Hallo Herr Heeg,

grundsätzlich geht es für mich um die Frage, ist seaBreeze für OfficeTalk geeignet ?
OfficeTalk ist eine sehr visuell lastige Anwendung. Das Reusable-Konzept im Bereich der visuellen Komponenten wird ausgiebig genutzt (UIBuilder - Subcanvas). Zusätzlich verwendet OfficeTalk COM und DotNet, um externe Applikationen zu steuern.

Georg Heeg wrote:
Signature

Lieber Herr Springer,

Your question was one of the reasons to develop seaBreeze (seaBreeze.heeg.de). seaBreeze is MIT license and can be found in the Cincom Smalltalk Public Store. Additionally there are converters from other systems to seaBreeze. If you are interested in those, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Georg Heeg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812

Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen

Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

Re: How to migrate a VW-Application to Seaside

Stephan Eggermont-3
Hi Josef

Without knowing more about your specific situation, I would start adding some
small reporting/presentation part to your application. This would allow you to
get to know Seaside in a way that can directly add value to your system.

There are several things to investigate and try out before committing to
port the whole system to the web:
- SeaBreeze
- Amber
- jQuery with jQuery-Mobile and Twitter bootstrap

If you provide some more info on your goals and needs, we can be more specific.
(whole application vs reporting only, mobile needs, graphical performance needed,
amount of data moved around etc.)

seaside mailing list