How to minimize a VA Smalltalk GUI window program to the system tray?

How to minimize a VA Smalltalk GUI window program to the system tray?

Louis LaBrunda

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to minimize a VA Smalltalk GUI window program to the system tray?  I'm looking but so far no joy.

Lou

Re: How to minimize a VA Smalltalk GUI window program to the system tray?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Again,

Sorry, just to be clear, I mean the little area over by the date/time and not the main task bar.

Lou

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 10:05:28 AM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to minimize a VA Smalltalk GUI window program to the system tray?  I'm looking but so far no joy.

Lou

Re: How to minimize a VA Smalltalk GUI window program to the system tray?

Instantiations mailing list
Hi Louis,

there is a goodie from TotallyObjects available:
http://www.totallyobjects.com/tofree.htm

I used this once In a VASmalltalk 8.1 image. I know that I did some
changes to the code to make it work properly.

I will send you the package but I won't be able to access the repository
before tomorrow.

Sebastian

On 2016-05-11 7:05 AM, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
> system tray

Re: How to minimize a VA Smalltalk GUI window program to the system tray?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Sebastian,

Thanks, that will be a big help.  I found ShellNotifyIcon that looks promising but need a lot of C knowledge.  I will check out the Totally Objects thing first.

Lou

On 2016-05-11 7:05 AM, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
> system tray

Re: How to minimize a VA Smalltalk GUI window program to the system tray?

Long Haired David
Lou.

Let me know how you get on. If you have any trouble, Matt would be able to help - if he can remember that far back, of course :-)

David

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 3:05:28 PM UTC+1, Louis LaBrunda wrote:

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to minimize a VA Smalltalk GUI window program to the system tray?  I'm looking but so far no joy.

Lou

David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: How to minimize a VA Smalltalk GUI window program to the system tray?

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 7:05:28 AM UTC-7, Louis LaBrunda wrote:

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to minimize a VA Smalltalk GUI window program to the system tray?  I'm looking but so far no joy.

Years ago, I wrote a little utility at a client's site. I'll try to remember to look it up. I suspect it won't work under a modern version of Windows.

Lou

Re: How to minimize a VA Smalltalk GUI window program to the system tray?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Smalltalkers,

After finding the Windows function ShellNotifyIcon and getting started working on a class to wrap it Sebastian pointed me to the TotallyObjects interface.  I took a peek at it and although I'm sure it is fine I want a lighter weight interface.  I'm using the feature in my X10 controller program that is both a working program and a simple example of how to use part of the LibUSB interface that Seth and I are working on.  I put the X10 program on VAST Goodies, so I don't think it would be appropriate to include the use of someone else's tools even if they are available for free.  Therefor I continue to work on my own class.

That bring me to my next question.  One can catch many mice events from icons in the system tray.  Typically (the TotallyObjects guts do this too) three events are caught, click (left), right click and double click (left).  I have only seen two of the three used by the same icon.  Right mouse click almost always opens a menu, click and double click almost always shows the window.  Handling double click is tricky because it requires waiting to act on a click to be sure it isn't the first half of a double click.  I'm sure I can right this code but I don't see the value of making the event handler code at least twice as complex to handle double click which I don't think anyone will ever use let alone need.

Unless someone can convince me that I'm missing something, I'm going to catch left and right click and execute a user (developer) supplied block of code (one for each).  The user's block of code will then do what ever the user wants to do.

So, thanks for reading and please let me know if I'm leaving out something important.

Lou

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 10:05:28 AM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to minimize a VA Smalltalk GUI window program to the system tray?  I'm looking but so far no joy.

Lou

Re: How to minimize a VA Smalltalk GUI window program to the system tray?

Long Haired David
I tried to post this so if it appears twice, I must apologies.

Lou, you can incorporate our code into your and post it so long as you say that in the readme.
David

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: How to minimize a VA Smalltalk GUI window program to the system tray?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi David,

I appreciate the offer, thanks.  I have finished my class.  It is a single class, in a single application.  It doesn't support double clicking and you can't drop it in the white space and make connections to it but those are choices I made to keep things simple, with I think no real loss of function.  If someone really needs those capabilities, they can always use your code.  I feel justified in reinventing the wheel as most of my code is different from yours (of course the ShellNotifyIcon call is the same).

Lou