How to move an image (like an icon) quickly around the screen?

How to move an image (like an icon) quickly around the screen?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Guys and Gals,

Does anyone have any hints as to moving an image like an icon around the screen?  I can do it but refreshing the screen under the image as it moves is very slow.  I would also like the transparency area of the image to be respected.  Any ideas are very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Lou

Re: How to move an image (like an icon) quickly around the screen?

Louis LaBrunda
Well, I have solved the speed problem at the cost of the icon being painted in a rectangle with a border and losing the transparent part of the icon.  I use a popup window to hold a label that displays the icon with code like this:

BombIcon := self bombIcon.
BombPopup := CwOverrideShell
createPopupShell: 'Popup Bomb'
parent: Transcript mainWindow
argBlock: [:w | w width: BombIcon width; height: BombIcon height].

cell := BombPopup createLabel: 'The Bomb' argBlock: [:w |
w borderWidth: 0; labelType: CwConstants::XmICON; height: BombIcon height; width: BombIcon width.
].
cell labelIcon: BombIcon; manageChild.
BombPopup centerOnScreen.
BombPopup popup.

The label is a windows widget and always has a border even if border is set to 0.  So, I need to replace the label with some other graphic than can display the icon the way I want.  Hopefully that's possible.  Again any ideas are very much appreciated.

Lou

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 12:25:42 PM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Guys and Gals,

Does anyone have any hints as to moving an image like an icon around the screen?  I can do it but refreshing the screen under the image as it moves is very slow.  I would also like the transparency area of the image to be respected.  Any ideas are very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Lou

Re: How to move an image (like an icon) quickly around the screen?

Louis LaBrunda
I take back what I said about the label always having a border.  It seems the CwOverrideShell is what always has a border and it isn't windows fault.

The VA Smalltalk code that creates the popup tells windows to give it a border.  I think this is a bug/feature and will have more to say about it in another thread.

For now I'm working on how to make the popup transparent.  I can get the icon and the label it is in to be transparent but the underlying popup window/shell seems to have a background that isn't transparent.  As always, I'm open to ideas.

Lou