How to open a URL from client GUI application in Smalltalk

How to open a URL from client GUI application in Smalltalk

jhoconer
Is there a way for a client GUI application in Smalltalk to open a website (URL)? Please kindly advise what codes/methods are used for this action. Hoping for your soonest advice! Thanks!!!

Regards,
Julia

Re: How to open a URL from client GUI application in Smalltalk

skrish
Use COM connect. this will open an instance of IE for you and if
enterprising enough you can have full control over IE browser from the
VW application.

Otherwise if you are expecting to see a browser like component inside
a VW Client, I doubt if Active X is enabled and can be done in VW /
ObjectStudio can do that..

The User Guide is quite simple and easy to follow..

On 8/14/12, Julia Oconer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a way for a client GUI application in Smalltalk to open a website
> (URL)? Please kindly advise what codes/methods are used for this action.
> Hoping for your soonest advice! Thanks!!!
>
> Regards,
> Julia

Re: How to open a URL from client GUI application inSmalltalk

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Assuming you're on a recent release of VisualWorks, it's much simpler
than that,

ExternalWebBrowser open: 'http://www.google.com'

-Boris

Use COM connect. this will open an instance of IE for you and if
enterprising enough you can have full control over IE browser from the
VW application.

Otherwise if you are expecting to see a browser like component inside a
VW Client, I doubt if Active X is enabled and can be done in VW /
ObjectStudio can do that..

The User Guide is quite simple and easy to follow..

On 8/14/12, Julia Oconer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a way for a client GUI application in Smalltalk to open a
> website (URL)? Please kindly advise what codes/methods are used for
this action.
> Hoping for your soonest advice! Thanks!!!
>
> Regards,
> Julia

Re: How to open a URL from client GUI application in Smalltalk

Holger Kleinsorgen
Package ExternalWebBrowser provides the following interface:

  ExternalWebBrowser open: 'http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com'

jhoconer wrote
Is there a way for a client GUI application in Smalltalk to open a website
(URL)? Please kindly advise what codes/methods are used for this action.

Re: How to open a URL from client GUI application in Smalltalk

jhoconer
Thank you for all of the pieces of advice!

If I use ExternalWebBrowser class, is it possible to put a parameter wherein I can hide the address of the website?

I found that if I use ExternalProcess class, I can define a parameter to hide the URL address.

 ExternalProcess defaultClass
        shOne:
            'start  iexplore.exe -k http://www.google.com '
Regards,
Julia
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Holger Kleinsorgen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Package ExternalWebBrowser provides the following interface:

  ExternalWebBrowser open: 'http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com'

jhoconer wrote

> Is there a way for a client GUI application in Smalltalk to open a website
> (URL)? Please kindly advise what codes/methods are used for this action.

Re: How to open a URL from client GUI application in Smalltalk

Holger Guhl
Here's another one to open a web browser:
ExternalProcess defaultClass shOne: 'start http://www.google.com'
This variant starts the default internet browser instead of IE. But what do you mean with "hide the URL address"?
Here is another option if you do not really want to open a web browser but simply get the contents of a web page:
| aHttpResponse aSimpleBody aString |
aHttpResponse :=
	[[Net.HttpClient new get: 'http://www.google.com']
		on: OSErrorHolder errorSignal
		do: [:ex | "exception handling for 'Server not accessible' "]]
			on: Net.HttpException
			do: [:ex |"handle communication/transmission problems after successful connect"].
aSimpleBody := aHttpResponse value.
aString := aSimpleBody value.
aString inspect
You need to load parcel NetClients for this.

Cheers
Holger