How to open a VW-Application with a hyperlink in a MS-Word document

How to open a VW-Application with a hyperlink in a MS-Word document

Josef Springer
Hello Smalltalk people,,

I have some questions about starting a VisualWorks-Application with a hyperlink in MS-Word:

I have build a VisualWorks--Application with the RuntimePacker as exe.
I inserted a hyperlink in a MS-Word document like (e.g. <the path>\OfficeTalk.exe -schedule - 123).
When i click on the hyperlink, i get the message about application not found.
If i use the hyperlink without arguments, the application is started.
How can i start the application with a hyperlink with given arguments and how can i get the arguments ?

Does anybody have an idea ?

Signature Any help is would be appreciated!

Best Regards,
Josef Springer

Re: How to open a VW-Application with a hyperlink in a MS-Word document

Mark Pirogovsky-3
Josef,

It look like the hyper links are very limited inside of the Word.

What you can try to do is to create a batch ( cmd) file somewhere.
 and inside of this file do what you want to do.
Keep in mind also that the Hyperlink will be executed in some system folder relative to the word not your path.

I just tested the hyperlink with the batch file like this:

cd \Vw7.91\bin\win
vwnt -?

You may also use VBA inside the Word  to start outside application instead of hyper links.
 There is another option yet - to use the DDE for communication between word and VW, but that will require to add some code to you application.

Hope this helps.

-- Mark

Josef Springer wrote:
Hello Smalltalk people,,

I have some questions about starting a VisualWorks-Application with a hyperlink in MS-Word:

I have build a VisualWorks--Application with the RuntimePacker as exe.
I inserted a hyperlink in a MS-Word document like (e.g. <the path>\OfficeTalk.exe -schedule - 123).
When i click on the hyperlink, i get the message about application not found.
If i use the hyperlink without arguments, the application is started.
How can i start the application with a hyperlink with given arguments and how can i get the arguments ?

Does anybody have an idea ?

Signature Any help is would be appreciated!

Best Regards,
Josef Springer

Re: How to open a VW-Application with a hyperlink in a MS-Word document

Josef Springer
Hello Mark,

thanks for your quick answer.
Tha way of a bat file i have take in consideration yet. I hoped, there is a more elegant solution. By the way my only solution seems to be a bat file.

Thanks again,
Josef