How to open a file with external app

jannik laval
Hi pharoers,

Is it possible to select a file and open it with an external application ?
For example, I need to open a pdf file.

How can I do that ?

Thank you for the help,
Jannik

Re: How to open a file with external app

Camillo Bruni-3
The only solution currently is to use OSProcess and
- open under OSX
- gnome-open under linux

On 2013-03-27, at 23:05, jannik.laval <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi pharoers,
>
> Is it possible to select a file and open it with an external application ?
> For example, I need to open a pdf file.
>
> How can I do that ?
>
> Thank you for the help,
> Jannik

Re: How to open a file with external app

jannik laval
Do you have an example of code ?

Jannik

On Mar 27, 2013, at 11:26 PM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The only solution currently is to use OSProcess and
> - open under OSX
> - gnome-open under linux
>

> On 2013-03-27, at 23:05, jannik.laval <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi pharoers,
>>
>> Is it possible to select a file and open it with an external application ?
>> For example, I need to open a pdf file.
>>
>> How can I do that ?
>>
>> Thank you for the help,
>> Jannik

Re: How to open a file with external app

jannik laval
I just see that it is not integrated in Pharo2.0.
Where can I find it ?

Jannik

On Mar 28, 2013, at 6:49 AM, jannik.laval <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you have an example of code ?
>
> Jannik
>
> On Mar 27, 2013, at 11:26 PM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The only solution currently is to use OSProcess and
>> - open under OSX
>> - gnome-open under linux
>>

>> On 2013-03-27, at 23:05, jannik.laval <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi pharoers,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to select a file and open it with an external application ?
>>> For example, I need to open a pdf file.
>>>
>>> How can I do that ?
>>>
>>> Thank you for the help,
>>> Jannik

Re: How to open a file with external app

Max Leske

On 27.03.2013, at 23:26, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The only solution currently is to use OSProcess and
> - open under OSX
> - gnome-open under linux

Or use NativeBoost (e.g. run C code that does what you want). But Camillo's solution is certainly easier to implement.

> On 2013-03-27, at 23:05, jannik.laval <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi pharoers,
>>
>> Is it possible to select a file and open it with an external application ?
>> For example, I need to open a pdf file.
>>
>> How can I do that ?
>>
>> Thank you for the help,
>> Jannik

Re: How to open a file with external app

Holger Freyther

Please use xdg-open to work on all free desktop implementations.

Re: How to open a file with external app

jannik laval
Thank you all.

Jannik

--

~~Dr. Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai
http://www.jannik-laval.eu

Re: How to open a file with external app

jannik laval
Hi again,

I took the ConfigurationOfOSProcess in http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository
When I load the stable version in Pharo2.0, there is a lot of error that things are undeclared in Transcript:

===
CommandShell>>builtinCommandProxyFor:input:output:error: (ShellBuiltinEvaluator is Undeclared)
CommandShell>>evaluationProxyFor:input:output:error: (ExpressionEvaluator is Undeclared)
CommandShell>>installCommands: (ShellBuiltin is Undeclared)
CommandShell>>open (CommandShellTranscript is Undeclared)
CommandShell>>openLabel: (CommandShellTranscript is Undeclared)
CommandShell>>pipeline: (ProxyPipeline is Undeclared)
CommandShell>>pipelineCollectionFrom: (ProxyPipeline is Undeclared)
CommandShell>>processProxyFor:input:output:error:predecessorProxy: (InternalPipe is Undeclared)
CommandShell>>processProxyFor:input:output:error:predecessorProxy: (PipeJunction is Undeclared)
CommandShell>>processProxyFor:input:output:error:predecessorProxy: (PipeableOSProcess is Undeclared)
CommandShell>>scheduleToEvaluate: (ScheduledControllers is Undeclared)
CrLfFileEditor class>>fileNamed:inDirectoryPath: (CrLfFileStream is Undeclared)
CrLfFileEditor class>>fileNamed:withLabel: (CrLfFileStream is Undeclared)
CrLfFileEditor>>bogusTruncate: (CrLfFileStream is Undeclared)
CrLfFileEditor>>fileContentsMenu:shifted: (ParagraphEditor is Undeclared)
CrLfFileEditor>>getAnotherFileName: (PopUpMenu is Undeclared)
CrLfFileEditor>>getAnotherFileName: (FillInTheBlank is Undeclared)
CrLfFileEditor>>getFileName: (PopUpMenu is Undeclared)
CrLfFileEditor>>getFileName: (FillInTheBlank is Undeclared)
CrLfFileEditor>>mvcWithLabel: (StandardSystemView is Undeclared)
CrLfFileEditor>>mvcWithLabel: (StandardSystemController is Undeclared)
CrLfFileEditor>>mvcWithLabel: (PluggableTextView is Undeclared)
CrLfFileEditor>>put: (CrLfFileStream is Undeclared)
CrLfFileEditor>>put: (CrLfFileStream is Undeclared)
CrLfFileEditor>>saveAs (FillInTheBlank is Undeclared)
CommandShellTranscript>>openLabel: (StandardSystemView is Undeclared)
CommandShellTranscript>>openLabel: (StandardSystemController is Undeclared)
CommandShellTranscript>>openLabel: (ShellWindowView is Undeclared)
===

Do I have the correct version ?

Thanks,
Jannik

2013/3/29 jannik laval <[hidden email]>
Thank you all.

Jannik

2013/3/28 Holger Hans Peter Freyther <[hidden email]>
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:26:21PM +0100, Camillo Bruni wrote:
> The only solution currently is to use OSProcess and
> - open under OSX
> - gnome-open under linux

Please use xdg-open to work on all free desktop implementations.

--

~~Dr. Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai
Enseignant-chercheur
http://www.jannik-laval.eu

--

~~Dr. Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai
Enseignant-chercheur
http://www.jannik-laval.eu

Re: How to open a file with external app

philippeback
Looks like OSProcess is not your best bet.

Check NBWin32Shell instead (in NativeBoostWin32)

        (Smalltalk at: #NBWin32Shell) shellBrowse: '<a href="http://localhost:'">http://localhost:', self
port asString

Phil

> [...]

> CommandShellTranscript>>openLabel: (StandardSystemController is Undeclared)
> CommandShellTranscript>>openLabel: (ShellWindowView is Undeclared)
> ===
>
> Do I have the correct version ?
>
> Thanks,
> Jannik
>
> 2013/3/29 jannik laval <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Thank you all.
>>
>> Jannik

>>> Please use xdg-open to work on all free desktop implementations.
>>>

>> --
>>
>> ~~Dr. Jannik Laval~~
>> École des Mines de Douai
>> Enseignant-chercheur
>> http://www.jannik-laval.eu
>

> --
>
> ~~Dr. Jannik Laval~~
> École des Mines de Douai
> Enseignant-chercheur
> http://www.jannik-laval.eu

Re: How to open a file with external app

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the help.
But this line is only available for Windows.
I don't find the same for MacOS and Linux.

Thanks,
Jannik

2013/3/29 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
Looks like OSProcess is not your best bet.

Check NBWin32Shell instead (in NativeBoostWin32)

        (Smalltalk at: #NBWin32Shell) shellBrowse: 'http://localhost:', self
port asString

Phil

--

~~Dr. Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai
http://www.jannik-laval.eu

Re: How to open a file with external app

philippeback
For OSX, it is just a matter of calling open from the OSProcess as
Cami told us in the list already. It works.

Phil

> [...]

>> > CrLfFileEditor>>saveAs (FillInTheBlank is Undeclared)
>> > CommandShellTranscript>>openLabel: (StandardSystemView is Undeclared)
>> > CommandShellTranscript>>openLabel: (StandardSystemController is
>> > Undeclared)
>> > CommandShellTranscript>>openLabel: (ShellWindowView is Undeclared)
>> > ===
>> >
>> > Do I have the correct version ?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Jannik

>> > --
>> >
>> > ~~Dr. Jannik Laval~~
>> > École des Mines de Douai
>> > Enseignant-chercheur
>> > http://www.jannik-laval.eu
>>

> --
>
> ~~Dr. Jannik Laval~~
> École des Mines de Douai
> Enseignant-chercheur
> http://www.jannik-laval.eu

Re: How to open a file with external app

Yes,
But I am thinking that using 2 differents things to do the same work is not cool.

So, I will use that for now.
Thank you

Jannik

On Mar 29, 2013, at 12:47 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> For OSX, it is just a matter of calling open from the OSProcess as
> Cami told us in the list already. It works.
>
> Phil
>
> 2013/3/29 jannik laval <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> Thank you for the help.
>> But this line is only available for Windows.
>> I don't find the same for MacOS and Linux.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jannik
>>

>> 2013/3/29 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> Looks like OSProcess is not your best bet.
>>>
>>> Check NBWin32Shell instead (in NativeBoostWin32)
>>>
>>>        (Smalltalk at: #NBWin32Shell) shellBrowse: '<a href="http://localhost:'">http://localhost:',
>>> self
>>> port asString
>>>
>>> Phil

>> --
>>
>> ~~Dr. Jannik Laval~~
>> École des Mines de Douai
>> Enseignant-chercheur
>> http://www.jannik-laval.eu

Re: How to open a file with external app

philippeback
Yes, that's frustrating. Example: Help Server using NBShell32 and not working on OSX...

2013/3/29 jannik.laval <[hidden email]>
Yes,
But I am thinking that using 2 differents things to do the same work is not cool.

So, I will use that for now.
Thank you

Jannik

On Mar 29, 2013, at 12:47 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> For OSX, it is just a matter of calling open from the OSProcess as
> Cami told us in the list already. It works.
>
> Phil
>
> 2013/3/29 jannik laval <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> Thank you for the help.
>> But this line is only available for Windows.
>> I don't find the same for MacOS and Linux.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jannik
>>

>> 2013/3/29 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> Looks like OSProcess is not your best bet.
>>>
>>> Check NBWin32Shell instead (in NativeBoostWin32)
>>>
>>>        (Smalltalk at: #NBWin32Shell) shellBrowse: 'http://localhost:',
>>> self
>>> port asString
>>>
>>> Phil

>> --
>>
>> ~~Dr. Jannik Laval~~
>> École des Mines de Douai
>> Enseignant-chercheur
>> http://www.jannik-laval.eu

Re: How to open a file with external app

EstebanLM
why? you just need to implement an strategy for that.

On Mar 29, 2013, at 4:25 PM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, that's frustrating. Example: Help Server using NBShell32 and not working on OSX...

2013/3/29 jannik.laval <[hidden email]>
Yes,
But I am thinking that using 2 differents things to do the same work is not cool.

So, I will use that for now.
Thank you

Jannik

On Mar 29, 2013, at 12:47 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> For OSX, it is just a matter of calling open from the OSProcess as
> Cami told us in the list already. It works.
>
> Phil
>
> 2013/3/29 jannik laval <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> Thank you for the help.
>> But this line is only available for Windows.
>> I don't find the same for MacOS and Linux.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jannik
>>

>> 2013/3/29 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> Looks like OSProcess is not your best bet.
>>>
>>> Check NBWin32Shell instead (in NativeBoostWin32)
>>>
>>>        (Smalltalk at: #NBWin32Shell) shellBrowse: '<a href="http://localhost:'">http://localhost:',
>>> self
>>> port asString
>>>
>>> Phil

>> --
>>
>> ~~Dr. Jannik Laval~~
>> École des Mines de Douai
>> Enseignant-chercheur
>> http://www.jannik-laval.eu

Re: How to open a file with external app

philippeback
OOTB I mean, from the configuration browser