How to query Amazon information via a web service?

How to query Amazon information via a web service?

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

I would like to get book information from an ISBN and I would like to query amazon.
Does any of you an experience with that and some pointers?

Re: How to query Amazon information via a web service?

Georg Heeg
Stef,

One of the initial seaBreeze examples we showed at ESUg in Amsterdam. The
demo still is part of seaBreeze one-click image. Just download seaBreeze
from seaBreeze.heeg.de and have a look.

Georg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

I would like to get book information from an ISBN and I would like to query
amazon.
Does any of you an experience with that and some pointers?

Re: How to query Amazon information via a web service?

Mirko-2
Stephane,
I haven't looked at the cloudfork code in detail but I'm sure you can
reuse the generic part of setting up the communication.
All Amazon Web Services communicate in the same way - its basically
about signing your requests with an HMAC signature using your secret
access-token.
Each API then defines certain query parameters. To do your ISBN queries
you can have a look here:
http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSECommerceService/latest/DG/index.html?ItemLookup.html

You will just need to supply the parameters IdType=ISBN and ItemId for
the actual ISBN.
Depending of the amount or kind of information you want to get you can
specifiy certain "ResponseGroups" in the request e.g. "Large" or "Medium".

Hope that helps.

Mirko

On 10/31/10 6:27 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Thanks mirko
> I will read that ;)
> Like that I can learn something. Did you check cloudfork? do you know if there are some services communication I could reuse?
>
> Stef
>
> On Oct 31, 2010, at 6:13 PM, Mirko Kiefer wrote:
>
>> Hi Stephane,
>>
>> I wrote a simple client for the Amazon Web Services in Node.js that allows you to do this kind of queries.
>> The implementation is quite straightforward - porting it to Smalltalk shouldn't be much work.
>> http://github.com/mirkok/Node-AWS
>>
>> Mirko
>>
>> On 10/31/10 5:51 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> I would like to get book information from an ISBN and I would like to query amazon.
>>> Does any of you an experience with that and some pointers?
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: How to query Amazon information via a web service?

Thanks!
I will have a look now.