How to remove a window from the taskbar

Carl Gundel-3

Hey all,

I created a floating window that is subordinate to another window.  All is working fine, but I also need to remove the floating window from the taskbar so that Alt+Tab does not see the floating window.  Any already do this?

Thanks.

-Carl

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Re: How to remove a window from the taskbar

David Hari

Usually, window behaviour is controlled using style bits.

The MSDN page on window styles (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff700543.aspx) says that the style WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW used to create a floating toolbar window. It also says that such a window will not appear in the taskbar or Alt+Tab switcher.

Can you check to see if your window is created with this style? You can use Window Detective (http://windowdetective.sourceforge.net/) to inspect the window and see what styles it has set.

I think the caveat with that style is that it must be set when the window is created. If set after it’s created, the window will become a “toolbar” window, but it will still show up in the taskbar.

To do this in Smalltalk, call Window>>addExtendedStyle: and pass WsExToolwindow. Do this in your window creation code, before the window is first opened.