How to run InterpreterSimulator?

askoh
Administrator
I downloaded
Squeak3.10.2-7179-win32.zip
Launched a fresh image.
Clicked Package Universe Browser.
Clicked Update list from network.
Select/System/FFI version 3.9.1
Clicked Select package.
Repeat for
              FFI examples version 3.9
              FFI Tests version 3.9
Clicked Install selections.

Visit
http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker.html
Download
http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-dtl.119.mcz

In Squeak, Click/open/Monticello Browser/
Locate VMMaker-dtl.119.mcz and load it.

In Squeak, open browser on InterpreterSimulation, read comments
Highlight and doit.
(InterpreterSimulator new openOn: Smalltalk imageName) test
And I get an exception.

What am I doing wrong?

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: How to run InterpreterSimulator?

askoh
Administrator
Is this problem too big to be solved by the VM team? Aik-Siong Koh

askoh wrote
[...]

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: How to run InterpreterSimulator?

David T. Lewis

Ensuring that the similator works is certainly within the team's
responsibility, as Andreas mentions here:
        http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2009-April/002504.html

That said, I don't think anyone is actively working on it right now,
at least not from the point of view of making the simulator work
across a range of image versions and VM versions.

If you search back through the squeak-dev archives, you will find a
number of discussions of what combinations do work.

If you are able to identify specific problems with the simulator (I
know this may not be easy to do), then I would encourage you to open
Mantis bug reports. Near term, this will probably result in some
clutter of unresolved bug reports, but it will at least give some
visibility to the issues.

Dave

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 03:38:59AM -0700, askoh wrote:

> Is this problem too big to be solved by the VM team? Aik-Siong Koh
>

> askoh wrote:
> >
> > I downloaded
> > Squeak3.10.2-7179-win32.zip
> > Launched a fresh image.
> > Clicked Package Universe Browser.
> > Clicked Update list from network.
> > Select/System/FFI version 3.9.1
> > Clicked Select package.
> > Repeat for
> >               FFI examples version 3.9
> >               FFI Tests version 3.9
> > Clicked Install selections.
> >
> > Visit
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker.html
> > Download
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-dtl.119.mcz
> >
> > In Squeak, Click/open/Monticello Browser/
> > Locate VMMaker-dtl.119.mcz and load it.
> >
> > In Squeak, open browser on InterpreterSimulation, read comments
> > Highlight and doit.
> > (InterpreterSimulator new openOn: Smalltalk imageName) test
> > And I get an exception.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > All the best,
> > Aik-Siong Koh

Re: How to run InterpreterSimulator?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr

David T. Lewis wrote:

> That said, I don't think anyone is actively working on it right now,
> at least not from the point of view of making the simulator work
> across a range of image versions and VM versions.

It seems that Aik-Siong Koh is trying to load a 3.10.2 image into a
simulator running inside the same 3.10.2 image and so doesn't care about
other combinations. Usually, the more recent the simulated image the
more complicated it is to make things work since it demands more
features from the simulated VM than an older image would.

Here are four bug fixes that are probably relevant for getting the
simulator to understand 3.10.2:

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6555

Previously I had just tried loading them all, but that didn't work and a
quick look shows that they are not compatible with each other.

My plan is to attack this problem (probably over the weekend) and
develop a script that will load all needed components and fixes so that
the simulator running inside Squeak 3.10.2 will work with the most
recent image possible (I will aim for 3.10.2 but might have to settle
for something older than that - the script will have comments on which
image to get).

-- Jecel

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:25:22AM -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> > That said, I don't think anyone is actively working on it right now,
> > at least not from the point of view of making the simulator work
> > across a range of image versions and VM versions.
>
> It seems that Aik-Siong Koh is trying to load a 3.10.2 image into a
> simulator running inside the same 3.10.2 image and so doesn't care about
> other combinations. Usually, the more recent the simulated image the
> more complicated it is to make things work since it demands more
> features from the simulated VM than an older image would.
>
> Here are four bug fixes that are probably relevant for getting the
> simulator to understand 3.10.2:
>
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6555
>
> Previously I had just tried loading them all, but that didn't work and a
> quick look shows that they are not compatible with each other.
>
> My plan is to attack this problem (probably over the weekend) and
> develop a script that will load all needed components and fixes so that
> the simulator running inside Squeak 3.10.2 will work with the most
> recent image possible (I will aim for 3.10.2 but might have to settle
> for something older than that - the script will have comments on which
> image to get).

Jecel,

Thanks, that's great to hear!

I see also that Aik-Siong Koh has opened a Mantis entry "0007341: How to
run InterpreterSimulator?" at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7341.
You can probably treat this is a parent issue.

Dave

Thanks. My faith is restored. Aik-Siong Koh

Re: How to run InterpreterSimulator?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr

In a thread about this on squeak-dev back in January, I posted my
initial results:

> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-January/133684.html

After that I got several other combinations to work, but didn't write
them down anywhere and would have to repeat the tests. The combination
of recent images as host and target is the priority, however.

Craig mentioned in that thread that he runs the simulator in 3.9 using a
3.2 image as the target.

-- Jecel

Sound is working on 64-bit Linux now

David T. Lewis

See http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7103

With these changes, sound works on 64-bit Linux ALSA and OSS for both 32-bit
and 64-bit images. There are changes to Cross/plugins/SoundPlugin/SoundPlugin.h
so some updates will be required for win32 and Mac OS (minor changes to
pass pointers properly).

Dave

Re: Sound is working on 64-bit Linux now

Bert Freudenberg

On 27.04.2009, at 13:38, David T. Lewis wrote:

> See http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7103
>
> With these changes, sound works on 64-bit Linux ALSA and OSS for
> both 32-bit
> and 64-bit images. There are changes to Cross/plugins/SoundPlugin/
> SoundPlugin.h
> so some updates will be required for win32 and Mac OS (minor changes
> pass pointers properly).

Yay!

- Bert -

Re: Sound is working on 64-bit Linux now

José "L. Redrejo" Rodríguez

El lun, 27-04-2009 a las 07:38 -0400, David T. Lewis escribió:
> See http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7103
>
> With these changes, sound works on 64-bit Linux ALSA and OSS for both 32-bit
> and 64-bit images. There are changes to Cross/plugins/SoundPlugin/SoundPlugin.h
> so some updates will be required for win32 and Mac OS (minor changes to
> pass pointers properly).

Hi David.
I think there are still some code that must be patched and you forgot to
include in the patch in mantis.
I've compiled the vm, patching the 3.10.4 sources and it still segfaults
(using Debian Lenny + alsa).

I'm attaching the patch I've used (it should be the same patch you sent,
but unified and all in one file, but it might help to know what is
missed). The log is:

patching file platforms/Cross/plugins/SoundPlugin/SoundPlugin.h
patching file platforms/unix/plugins/SoundPlugin/sqUnixSound.c
patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-ALSA/sqUnixSoundALSA.c
patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-MacOSX/sqUnixSoundMacOSX.c
patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-NAS/sqUnixSoundNAS.c
patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-null/sqUnixSoundNull.c
patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-OSS/sqUnixSoundOSS.c
patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-Sun/sqUnixSoundSun.c
patching file platforms/unix/vm/SqSound.h

Regards
José L.

sound64bits.dpatch (30K) Download Attachment

On 27.04.2009, at 18:17, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:

> El lun, 27-04-2009 a las 07:38 -0400, David T. Lewis escribió:
>> See http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7103
>>
>> With these changes, sound works on 64-bit Linux ALSA and OSS for
>> both 32-bit
>> and 64-bit images. There are changes to Cross/plugins/SoundPlugin/
>> SoundPlugin.h
>> so some updates will be required for win32 and Mac OS (minor
>> changes to
>> pass pointers properly).
>

> Hi David.
> I think there are still some code that must be patched and you
> forgot to
> include in the patch in mantis.
> I've compiled the vm, patching the 3.10.4 sources and it still
> segfaults
> (using Debian Lenny + alsa).
>
> I'm attaching the patch I've used (it should be the same patch you
> sent,
> but unified and all in one file, but it might help to know what is
> missed). The log is:
>
> patching file platforms/Cross/plugins/SoundPlugin/SoundPlugin.h
> patching file platforms/unix/plugins/SoundPlugin/sqUnixSound.c
> patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-ALSA/sqUnixSoundALSA.c
> patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-MacOSX/sqUnixSoundMacOSX.c
> patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-NAS/sqUnixSoundNAS.c
> patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-null/sqUnixSoundNull.c
> patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-OSS/sqUnixSoundOSS.c
> patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-Sun/sqUnixSoundSun.c
> patching file platforms/unix/vm/SqSound.h
>

> Regards
> José L.
> <sound64bits.dpatch>

You also need to regenerate the src/plugins/SoundPlugin.c file after
applying the SoundPlugin-64bit-dtl.1.cs changeset.

- Bert -

El lun, 27-04-2009 a las 19:29 +0200, Bert Freudenberg escribió:

> On 27.04.2009, at 18:17, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
>
> > El lun, 27-04-2009 a las 07:38 -0400, David T. Lewis escribió:
> >> See http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7103
> >>
> >> With these changes, sound works on 64-bit Linux ALSA and OSS for
> >> both 32-bit
> >> and 64-bit images. There are changes to Cross/plugins/SoundPlugin/
> >> SoundPlugin.h
> >> so some updates will be required for win32 and Mac OS (minor
> >> changes to
> >> pass pointers properly).
> >

> > Hi David.
> > I think there are still some code that must be patched and you
> > forgot to
> > include in the patch in mantis.
> > I've compiled the vm, patching the 3.10.4 sources and it still
> > segfaults
> > (using Debian Lenny + alsa).
> >
> > I'm attaching the patch I've used (it should be the same patch you
> > sent,
> > but unified and all in one file, but it might help to know what is
> > missed). The log is:
> >
> > patching file platforms/Cross/plugins/SoundPlugin/SoundPlugin.h
> > patching file platforms/unix/plugins/SoundPlugin/sqUnixSound.c
> > patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-ALSA/sqUnixSoundALSA.c
> > patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-MacOSX/sqUnixSoundMacOSX.c
> > patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-NAS/sqUnixSoundNAS.c
> > patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-null/sqUnixSoundNull.c
> > patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-OSS/sqUnixSoundOSS.c
> > patching file platforms/unix/vm-sound-Sun/sqUnixSoundSun.c
> > patching file platforms/unix/vm/SqSound.h
> >

> > Regards
> > José L.
> > <sound64bits.dpatch>
>

> You also need to regenerate the src/plugins/SoundPlugin.c file after
> applying the SoundPlugin-64bit-dtl.1.cs changeset.

Thanks Bert, I  had missed that. Now it works perfectly, I'm sending
this email from an amd64 Lenny installation where Squeak sounds!!

Thanks very much David for your work, this has been an issue for a long
time.

The same problem is still there with RomePlugin and GstreamerPlugin,
both used in the eToys image. It would be great if you could also take a
look at them. I'll fill a bug in mantis for them if that's better to
track the problem.

Regards.
José L.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 08:49:41PM +0200, Jos? L. Redrejo Rodr?guez wrote:

> El lun, 27-04-2009 a las 19:29 +0200, Bert Freudenberg escribi??:
> >
> > You also need to regenerate the src/plugins/SoundPlugin.c file after
> > applying the SoundPlugin-64bit-dtl.1.cs changeset.
>
> Thanks Bert, I  had missed that. Now it works perfectly, I'm sending
> this email from an amd64 Lenny installation where Squeak sounds!!

Great, thanks for trying the patches.

> Thanks very much David for your work, this has been an issue for a long
> time.
>
> The same problem is still there with RomePlugin and GstreamerPlugin,
> both used in the eToys image. It would be great if you could also take a
> look at them. I'll fill a bug in mantis for them if that's better to
> track the problem.

Yes, it would be helpful if you can open Mantis bugs for these also.
I am not really familiar with these two plugins, but I will be happy
to take a look at them and see if I can get them working on 64-bit
systems.

Dave

El lun, 27-04-2009 a las 17:09 -0400, David T. Lewis escribió:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 08:49:41PM +0200, Jos? L. Redrejo Rodr?guez wrote:
> >
> > El lun, 27-04-2009 a las 19:29 +0200, Bert Freudenberg escribi??:
> > >
> > > You also need to regenerate the src/plugins/SoundPlugin.c file after
> > > applying the SoundPlugin-64bit-dtl.1.cs changeset.
> >
> > Thanks Bert, I  had missed that. Now it works perfectly, I'm sending
> > this email from an amd64 Lenny installation where Squeak sounds!!
>
> Great, thanks for trying the patches.
>
> > Thanks very much David for your work, this has been an issue for a long
> > time.
> >
> > The same problem is still there with RomePlugin and GstreamerPlugin,
> > both used in the eToys image. It would be great if you could also take a
> > look at them. I'll fill a bug in mantis for them if that's better to
> > track the problem.
>
> Yes, it would be helpful if you can open Mantis bugs for these also.
> I am not really familiar with these two plugins, but I will be happy
> to take a look at them and see if I can get them working on 64-bit
> systems.
I've filled http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7344 for the Rome plugin.
That one is really easy to reproduce.

I'll do more tests with gstreamer to document its fail as good as
possible.

Thanks again.
José L.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 09:32:55AM +0200, Jos? L. Redrejo Rodr?guez wrote:

> El lun, 27-04-2009 a las 17:09 -0400, David T. Lewis escribi??:
> > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 08:49:41PM +0200, Jos? L. Redrejo Rodr?guez wrote:
> > >
> > > El lun, 27-04-2009 a las 19:29 +0200, Bert Freudenberg escribi??:

> > > Thanks Bert, I  had missed that. Now it works perfectly, I'm sending
> > > this email from an amd64 Lenny installation where Squeak sounds!!
> >
> > Great, thanks for trying the patches.
> >
> > > Thanks very much David for your work, this has been an issue for a long
> > > time.
> > >
> > > The same problem is still there with RomePlugin and GstreamerPlugin,
> > > both used in the eToys image. It would be great if you could also take a
> > > look at them. I'll fill a bug in mantis for them if that's better to
> > > track the problem.
> >
> > Yes, it would be helpful if you can open Mantis bugs for these also.
> > I am not really familiar with these two plugins, but I will be happy
> > to take a look at them and see if I can get them working on 64-bit
> > systems.
>
> I've filled http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7344 for the Rome plugin.
> That one is really easy to reproduce.
>
> I'll do more tests with gstreamer to document its fail as good as
> possible.

Thanks.

One more follow-up question concerning sound: Is the SoundCodecPlugin
important for you on 64-bit Linux? This is used Klatt (Speaker default
say: 'hello'). The plugin is separate from SoundPlugin, and it has not
been updated for 64-bit systems. For example, if you evaluate
"Speaker manWithEditor" and then put the editor in the trash, the VM
will crash on a 64-bit platform. Is this important for EToys?

Dave

On 28.04.2009, at 12:13, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 09:32:55AM +0200, Jos? L. Redrejo Rodr?guez
> wrote:
>>
>> El lun, 27-04-2009 a las 17:09 -0400, David T. Lewis escribi??:

>>> Great, thanks for trying the patches.

>>> Yes, it would be helpful if you can open Mantis bugs for these also.
>>> I am not really familiar with these two plugins, but I will be happy
>>> to take a look at them and see if I can get them working on 64-bit
>>> systems.
>>
>> I've filled http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7344 for the Rome
>> plugin.
>> That one is really easy to reproduce.
>>
>> I'll do more tests with gstreamer to document its fail as good as
>> possible.
>
> Thanks.
>
> One more follow-up question concerning sound: Is the SoundCodecPlugin
> important for you on 64-bit Linux? This is used Klatt (Speaker default
> say: 'hello'). The plugin is separate from SoundPlugin, and it has not
> been updated for 64-bit systems. For example, if you evaluate
> "Speaker manWithEditor" and then put the editor in the trash, the VM
> will crash on a 64-bit platform. Is this important for EToys?

Since there is no Etoys tile interface to the speech synthesis, the
Etoys image currently does not include the Speech classes. So it's not
urgent for us, though it would be a nice future addition.

- Bert -