How to run InterpreterSimulator?

askoh
Administrator
I downloaded
Squeak3.10.2-7179-win32.zip
Launched a fresh image.
Clicked Package Universe Browser.
Clicked Update list from network.
Select/System/FFI version 3.9.1
Clicked Select package.
Repeat for
              FFI examples version 3.9
              FFI Tests version 3.9
Clicked Install selections.

Visit
http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker.html
Download
http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-dtl.119.mcz

In Squeak, Click/open/Monticello Browser/
Locate VMMaker-dtl.119.mcz and load it.

In Squeak, open browser on InterpreterSimulation, read comments
Highlight and doit.
(InterpreterSimulator new openOn: Smalltalk imageName) test
And I get an exception.

What am I doing wrong?

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: How to run InterpreterSimulator?

askoh
Administrator
Can someone help please? Thanks, Aik-Siong Koh

Re: [squeak-dev] How to run InterpreterSimulator?

Karl Ramberg
On 4/6/09, askoh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I downloaded
> Squeak3.10.2-7179-win32.zip
> Launched a fresh image.
> Clicked Package Universe Browser.
> Clicked Update list from network.
> Select/System/FFI version 3.9.1
> Clicked Select package.
> Repeat for
>               FFI examples version 3.9
>               FFI Tests version 3.9
> Clicked Install selections.
>
> Visit
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker.html
> Download
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-dtl.119.mcz
>
> In Squeak, Click/open/Monticello Browser/
> Locate VMMaker-dtl.119.mcz and load it.
>
> In Squeak, open browser on InterpreterSimulation, read comments
> Highlight and doit.
> (InterpreterSimulator new openOn: Smalltalk imageName) test
> And I get an exception.

What image did  you try to run in the simulator ?
I got the simulator to run some of the old small images.

Karl

Re: [squeak-dev] How to run InterpreterSimulator?

askoh
Administrator
Squeak3.10.2-7179-win32.zip
has Squeak 3.10 and I tried to run InterpreterSimulator on the 3.10 image.

Any info on which version will run InterpreterSimulator on which image would be a great help.

Thanks,
Aik-Siong Koh

-----------------------

What image did  you try to run in the simulator ?
I got the simulator to run some of the old small images.

Karl

Re: [squeak-dev] How to run InterpreterSimulator?

Randal L. Schwartz

askoh> Squeak3.10.2-7179-win32.zip
askoh> has Squeak 3.10 and I tried to run InterpreterSimulator on the 3.10 image.

askoh> Any info on which version will run InterpreterSimulator on which image
askoh> would be a great help.

As I recall from a discussion a few months ago here, either some of the
specialOOPs or some of the primitive numbers got reused, making any
attempt to use very old images with modern VMs incompatible, and since
InterpreterSimulator is also a virtual VM, I'd suspect you'd need to
have the right version for the right image.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

On 2009-04-07 02:35, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
"askoh" == askoh  [hidden email] writes:

askoh> Squeak3.10.2-7179-win32.zip
askoh> has Squeak 3.10 and I tried to run InterpreterSimulator on the 3.10 image.

askoh> Any info on which version will run InterpreterSimulator on which image
askoh> would be a great help.

As I recall from a discussion a few months ago here, either some of the
specialOOPs or some of the primitive numbers got reused, making any
attempt to use very old images with modern VMs incompatible, and since
InterpreterSimulator is also a virtual VM, I'd suspect you'd need to
have the right version for the right image.

I think I followed this :
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2465

Karl