How to run Mondrian code

tien dh
Hello, I'm new to Mondiran and I'm trying to run very simple piece of code:

| view namespaces |
namespaces := MooseModel root allModels first allModelNamespaces.
view := MOViewRenderer new.
view shape rectangle
width: #numberOfClasses;
height: #numberOfMethods;
linearFillColor: #numberOfLinesOfCode within: namespaces.
view nodes: namespaces.
view edgesToAll: #providerNamespaces.
view dominanceTreeLayout.
view open.

I tried with Roassal Easel but it doesn't compile. Where should I put the code and run?

--
Thanks and Best Regards,

Do Huu Tien (Mr.)
Handphone No: (+32) (0) 484 77 62 32
Email: [hidden email]
Y!M: beuforever
Skype: do.huu.tien

Re: How to run Mondrian code

SergeStinckwich
On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 12:04 PM, tien dh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to Mondiran and I'm trying to run very simple piece of code:

Xin chào Tien.
Where are you located ?

> | view namespaces |
> namespaces := MooseModel root allModels first allModelNamespaces.
> view := MOViewRenderer new.
> view shape rectangle
>   width: #numberOfClasses;
>   height: #numberOfMethods;
>   linearFillColor: #numberOfLinesOfCode within: namespaces.
> view nodes: namespaces.
> view edgesToAll: #providerNamespaces.
> view dominanceTreeLayout.
> view open.
>

> I tried with Roassal Easel but it doesn't compile. Where should I put the
> code and run?

Apparently you are running an old version of Roassal.
Try to use the last version of MOOSE 6.0: http://moosetechnology.org/

Are you sure you have imported a model with the MOOSE panel first ?

The API change a little bit in MOOSE 6.0:

| view namespaces |
namespaces := MooseModel root allModels first allModelNamespaces.
view :=  RTMondrian new.
view shape rectangle
  width: #numberOfClasses;
  height: #numberOfMethods;
  linearFillColor: #numberOfLinesOfCode within: namespaces.
view nodes: namespaces.
view edges connectToAll: #providerNamespaces.
view layout dominanceTree.
view open.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)

Re: How to run Mondrian code

SergeStinckwich
You should read : http://agilevisualization.com/

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Serge Stinckwich
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 12:04 PM, tien dh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello, I'm new to Mondiran and I'm trying to run very simple piece of code:
>

> Xin chào Tien.
> Where are you located ?
>
>> | view namespaces |
>> namespaces := MooseModel root allModels first allModelNamespaces.
>> view := MOViewRenderer new.
>> view shape rectangle
>>   width: #numberOfClasses;
>>   height: #numberOfMethods;
>>   linearFillColor: #numberOfLinesOfCode within: namespaces.
>> view nodes: namespaces.
>> view edgesToAll: #providerNamespaces.
>> view dominanceTreeLayout.
>> view open.
>>

>> I tried with Roassal Easel but it doesn't compile. Where should I put the
>> code and run?
>
> Apparently you are running an old version of Roassal.
> Try to use the last version of MOOSE 6.0: http://moosetechnology.org/
>
> Are you sure you have imported a model with the MOOSE panel first ?
>
> The API change a little bit in MOOSE 6.0:
>
> | view namespaces |
> namespaces := MooseModel root allModels first allModelNamespaces.
> view :=  RTMondrian new.
> view shape rectangle
>   width: #numberOfClasses;
>   height: #numberOfMethods;
>   linearFillColor: #numberOfLinesOfCode within: namespaces.
> view nodes: namespaces.
> view edges connectToAll: #providerNamespaces.
> view layout dominanceTree.
> view open.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: How to run Mondrian code

tien dh
Hi,
I've tried to used version 6.0 as you suggest, but it seems to be buggy on Mac OS.
In fact, I've downloaded Pharo Virtual machine and the Image file and loaded the image into the virtual machine, but the software shown the error message:

"Pharo cannot locate the sources file named /Users/macbookpro/Downloads/PharoV50.sources.

Please check that the file is named properly and is in the
same directory as this image.
Make sure the sources file is not an Alias.
"

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 2:34 PM, tien dh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Xin chào Serge, I'm from Vietnam and It's nice to see a greeting in Vietnamese :)
Thanks for your quick reply.
I'm using version 5.1 on Mac OS. Yep, I've imported a model, and I open script windows via "All model classes" > Browse > In Roassal Easel.
When I copy your new code to the script windows and click the Play button, it shows the an error:
MessageNotUnderstood: GLMRoassal2Easel>>correctFrom:to:with:

Am I wrong in using the tool? How can I test running of Mondrian code?

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 12:04 PM, tien dh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello, I'm new to Mondiran and I'm trying to run very simple piece of code:
>

> Xin chào Tien.
> Where are you located ?
>
>> | view namespaces |
>> namespaces := MooseModel root allModels first allModelNamespaces.
>> view := MOViewRenderer new.
>> view shape rectangle
>>   width: #numberOfClasses;
>>   height: #numberOfMethods;
>>   linearFillColor: #numberOfLinesOfCode within: namespaces.
>> view nodes: namespaces.
>> view edgesToAll: #providerNamespaces.
>> view dominanceTreeLayout.
>> view open.
>>

>> I tried with Roassal Easel but it doesn't compile. Where should I put the
>> code and run?
>
> Apparently you are running an old version of Roassal.
> Try to use the last version of MOOSE 6.0: http://moosetechnology.org/
>
> Are you sure you have imported a model with the MOOSE panel first ?
>
> The API change a little bit in MOOSE 6.0:
>
> | view namespaces |
> namespaces := MooseModel root allModels first allModelNamespaces.
> view :=  RTMondrian new.
> view shape rectangle
>   width: #numberOfClasses;
>   height: #numberOfMethods;
>   linearFillColor: #numberOfLinesOfCode within: namespaces.
> view nodes: namespaces.
> view edges connectToAll: #providerNamespaces.
> view layout dominanceTree.
> view open.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Thanks and Best Regards,

Do Huu Tien (Mr.)
Handphone No: <a href="tel:%28%2B32%29%20%280%29%20484%2077%2062%2032" value="+32484776232" target="_blank">(+32) (0) 484 77 62 32
Email: [hidden email]
Y!M: beuforever
Skype: do.huu.tien

--
Thanks and Best Regards,

Do Huu Tien (Mr.)
Handphone No: (+32) (0) 484 77 62 32
Email: [hidden email]
Y!M: beuforever
Skype: do.huu.tien

Re: How to run Mondrian code

tien dh
The message size is large so I cancel the original and re-post here. Please see below.

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 1:42 PM, tien dh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The message size is large so I cancel the original and re-post here. Please
> see below.
>
> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 2:34 PM, tien dh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Xin chào Serge, I'm from Vietnam and It's nice to see a greeting in
>> Vietnamese :)

This is because I spend 4 years in Hanoi, so I can speak a little bit
Vietnamese :-)
If you are located in Ha Noi, normally I will be there in July and we
can try some pair-programming on Roassal and Pharo.

>> Thanks for your quick reply.
>> I'm using version 5.1 on Mac OS. Yep, I've imported a model, and I open
>> script windows via "All model classes" > Browse > In Roassal Easel.
>

>> When I copy your new code to the script windows and click the Play button,
>> it shows the an error:
>> MessageNotUnderstood: GLMRoassal2Easel>>correctFrom:to:with:
>>
> Please check this link for the screenshot:
> http://s33.postimg.org/db7ki51mn/Screen_Shot_2016_05_31_at_2_28_56_PM.png

I'm not sure the code I give you, will work on 5.1. I use it on 6.0.
In order to run my code, open a playground in MOOSE 6.0, select all code and
CTRL-D to do it.

Tell me if it still does not work for you.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: How to run Mondrian code

SergeStinckwich
No this is not buggy, I'm using this version on mac os x also.
This is still is still a beta version of MOOSE 6.0, but the stable
version should be release in a couple of days normally.

You have to download the missing file (PharoV50.sources) from here:
http://files.pharo.org/sources/

and put in the same place as your image.

Regards,

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 1:38 PM, tien dh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've tried to used version 6.0 as you suggest, but it seems to be buggy on
> Mac OS.
> In fact, I've downloaded Pharo Virtual machine and the Image file and loaded
> the image into the virtual machine, but the software shown the error
> message:
>
> "Pharo cannot locate the sources file named
> /Users/macbookpro/Downloads/PharoV50.sources.
>
> Please check that the file is named properly and is in the
> same directory as this image.
> Make sure the sources file is not an Alias."
>
> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 2:34 PM, tien dh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Xin chào Serge, I'm from Vietnam and It's nice to see a greeting in
>> Vietnamese :)
>> Thanks for your quick reply.
>> I'm using version 5.1 on Mac OS. Yep, I've imported a model, and I open
>> script windows via "All model classes" > Browse > In Roassal Easel.
>> When I copy your new code to the script windows and click the Play button,
>> it shows the an error:
>> MessageNotUnderstood: GLMRoassal2Easel>>correctFrom:to:with:
>>
>> Am I wrong in using the tool? How can I test running of Mondrian code?
>>
>> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Serge Stinckwich
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> You should read : http://agilevisualization.com/

>>> --
>>> Serge Stinckwich
>>> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
>>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>>> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/
>>

>> --
>> Thanks and Best Regards,
>>
>> Do Huu Tien (Mr.)
>> Handphone No: (+32) (0) 484 77 62 32
>> Email: [hidden email]
>> Y!M: beuforever
>> Skype: do.huu.tien
>

> --
> Thanks and Best Regards,
>
> Do Huu Tien (Mr.)
> Handphone No: (+32) (0) 484 77 62 32
> Email: [hidden email]
> Y!M: beuforever
> Skype: do.huu.tien

Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: How to run Mondrian code

Ben Coman
[cross-post to pharo-dev]

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 9:03 PM, Serge Stinckwich
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> No this is not buggy, I'm using this version on mac os x also.
> This is still is still a beta version of MOOSE 6.0, but the stable
> version should be release in a couple of days normally.
>
> You have to download the missing file (PharoV50.sources) from here:
> http://files.pharo.org/sources/

If this will remain a well defined location, I wonder if instead of
*only* advising the file is missing, the user could be offered to
download it to either image or vm location ?   Could improve first
impressions ?

cheers -ben

> and put in the same place as your image.
>
> Regards,
>

> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 1:38 PM, tien dh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've tried to used version 6.0 as you suggest, but it seems to be buggy on
>> Mac OS.
>> In fact, I've downloaded Pharo Virtual machine and the Image file and loaded
>> the image into the virtual machine, but the software shown the error
>> message:
>>
>> "Pharo cannot locate the sources file named
>> /Users/macbookpro/Downloads/PharoV50.sources.
>>
>> Please check that the file is named properly and is in the
>> same directory as this image.
>> Make sure the sources file is not an Alias."
>>
>> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 2:34 PM, tien dh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Xin chào Serge, I'm from Vietnam and It's nice to see a greeting in
>>> Vietnamese :)
>>> Thanks for your quick reply.
>>> I'm using version 5.1 on Mac OS. Yep, I've imported a model, and I open
>>> script windows via "All model classes" > Browse > In Roassal Easel.
>>> When I copy your new code to the script windows and click the Play button,
>>> it shows the an error:
>>> MessageNotUnderstood: GLMRoassal2Easel>>correctFrom:to:with:
>>>
>>> Am I wrong in using the tool? How can I test running of Mondrian code?

Re: How to run Mondrian code

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 31 May 2016, at 15:19, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [cross-post to pharo-dev]
>
> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 9:03 PM, Serge Stinckwich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> No this is not buggy, I'm using this version on mac os x also.
>> This is still is still a beta version of MOOSE 6.0, but the stable
>> version should be release in a couple of days normally.
>>
>> You have to download the missing file (PharoV50.sources) from here:
>> http://files.pharo.org/sources/
>
> If this will remain a well defined location, I wonder if instead of
> *only* advising the file is missing, the user could be offered to
> download it to either image or vm location ?   Could improve first
> impressions ?

Well, one day we had a very cool option whereby the missing source file was downloaded automatically, but we had to disable it again because of unreliable networking for some people. A pity.

> cheers -ben
>

>> and put in the same place as your image.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 1:38 PM, tien dh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I've tried to used version 6.0 as you suggest, but it seems to be buggy on
>>> Mac OS.
>>> In fact, I've downloaded Pharo Virtual machine and the Image file and loaded
>>> the image into the virtual machine, but the software shown the error
>>> message:
>>>
>>> "Pharo cannot locate the sources file named
>>> /Users/macbookpro/Downloads/PharoV50.sources.
>>>
>>> Please check that the file is named properly and is in the
>>> same directory as this image.
>>> Make sure the sources file is not an Alias."

Re: How to run Mondrian code

CyrilFerlicot

On 31/05/2016 15:52, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Well, one day we had a very cool option whereby the missing source file was downloaded automatically, but we had to disable it again because of unreliable networking for some people. A pity.

Couldn't this be just change in order to ask to the user if he wanted to
launch the download instead of doing it automatically?

--
Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

165 Avenue Bretagne
Lille 59000 France

Re: How to run Mondrian code

Ben Coman
On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 9:52 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 31 May 2016, at 15:19, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> [cross-post to pharo-dev]
>>
>> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 9:03 PM, Serge Stinckwich
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> No this is not buggy, I'm using this version on mac os x also.
>>> This is still is still a beta version of MOOSE 6.0, but the stable
>>> version should be release in a couple of days normally.
>>>
>>> You have to download the missing file (PharoV50.sources) from here:
>>> http://files.pharo.org/sources/
>>
>> If this will remain a well defined location, I wonder if instead of
>> *only* advising the file is missing, the user could be offered to
>> download it to either image or vm location ?   Could improve first
>> impressions ?
>
> Well, one day we had a very cool option whereby the missing source file was downloaded automatically, but we had to disable it again because of unreliable networking for some people. A pity.

I can't remember seeing that behaviour myself, but I vaguely remember
discussion. Can you remind me, did it If it automatically and silently
downloaded the missing source file, thus delaying the UI from being
responsive?  That would be bad :).  An common Microsoft anti-pattern
IMO i.e. "Don't try to be too smart for your users"  but instead give
them a sense of control.  Bringing up a dialog for user choice in an
immediately responsive UI might be acceptable.

cheers -ben

>> cheers -ben
>>

>>> and put in the same place as your image.
>>>
>>> Regards,

Re: How to run Mondrian code

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
In a 3.0 image it can be found under #downloadSources

Yes it did it silently, the thing is, you do not always have a UI (headless image). Many applications download extra files the first time they start up.

> On 31 May 2016, at 16:09, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 9:52 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 31 May 2016, at 15:19, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> [cross-post to pharo-dev]

>>> If this will remain a well defined location, I wonder if instead of
>>> *only* advising the file is missing, the user could be offered to
>>> download it to either image or vm location ?   Could improve first
>>> impressions ?
>>
>> Well, one day we had a very cool option whereby the missing source file was downloaded automatically, but we had to disable it again because of unreliable networking for some people. A pity.
>
> I can't remember seeing that behaviour myself, but I vaguely remember
> discussion. Can you remind me, did it If it automatically and silently
> downloaded the missing source file, thus delaying the UI from being
> responsive?  That would be bad :).  An common Microsoft anti-pattern
> IMO i.e. "Don't try to be too smart for your users"  but instead give
> them a sense of control.  Bringing up a dialog for user choice in an
> immediately responsive UI might be acceptable.
>
> cheers -ben
>

>>> cheers -ben

Re: How to run Mondrian code

tien dh
Hello Serge,

It works fine for me now with Moose 6.0. Thank you very much.

P/S: Oh, I worked in Hanoi 2 years ago, but now I'm in Brussels. I'm going back this September and If you're still there at that time, we can go for a coffee and fun programming.

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 1:42 PM, tien dh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The message size is large so I cancel the original and re-post here. Please
> see below.
>
> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 2:34 PM, tien dh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Xin chào Serge, I'm from Vietnam and It's nice to see a greeting in
>> Vietnamese :)

This is because I spend 4 years in Hanoi, so I can speak a little bit
Vietnamese :-)
If you are located in Ha Noi, normally I will be there in July and we
can try some pair-programming on Roassal and Pharo.

>> Thanks for your quick reply.
>> I'm using version 5.1 on Mac OS. Yep, I've imported a model, and I open
>> script windows via "All model classes" > Browse > In Roassal Easel.
>

>> When I copy your new code to the script windows and click the Play button,
>> it shows the an error:
>> MessageNotUnderstood: GLMRoassal2Easel>>correctFrom:to:with:
>>
> Please check this link for the screenshot:
> http://s33.postimg.org/db7ki51mn/Screen_Shot_2016_05_31_at_2_28_56_PM.png

I'm not sure the code I give you, will work on 5.1. I use it on 6.0.
In order to run my code, open a playground in MOOSE 6.0, select all code and
CTRL-D to do it.

Tell me if it still does not work for you.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Thanks and Best Regards,

Do Huu Tien (Mr.)
Handphone No: (+32) (0) 484 77 62 32
Email: [hidden email]
Y!M: beuforever
Skype: do.huu.tien

Re: How to run Mondrian code

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Is it possible to do the silent download only in headless mode? This
would add to the first impressions without reducing respossiveness.

Cheers,

Offray

On 31/05/16 09:16, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> In a 3.0 image it can be found under #downloadSources
>
> Yes it did it silently, the thing is, you do not always have a UI (headless image). Many applications download extra files the first time they start up.

>>> Well, one day we had a very cool option whereby the missing source file was downloaded automatically, but we had to disable it again because of unreliable networking for some people. A pity.
>> I can't remember seeing that behaviour myself, but I vaguely remember
>> discussion. Can you remind me, did it If it automatically and silently
>> downloaded the missing source file, thus delaying the UI from being
>> responsive?  That would be bad :).  An common Microsoft anti-pattern
>> IMO i.e. "Don't try to be too smart for your users"  but instead give
>> them a sense of control.  Bringing up a dialog for user choice in an
>> immediately responsive UI might be acceptable.
>>
>> cheers -ben

Re: How to run Mondrian code

demarey
Hi,

I do not think it is a good idea to silently download in headless mode.
You often deploy apps in production in headless mode. Why would you want to download the sources?

I would rather see a default behavior not downloading the sources and a settings to allow automatic sources download. You could pop up a dialog in ui mode to enable the feature the first time you see a missing sources file.

Christophe

> Le 31 mai 2016 à 20:33, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Is it possible to do the silent download only in headless mode? This would add to the first impressions without reducing respossiveness.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray
>
> On 31/05/16 09:16, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>> In a 3.0 image it can be found under #downloadSources
>>
>> Yes it did it silently, the thing is, you do not always have a UI (headless image). Many applications download extra files the first time they start up.

>>> I can't remember seeing that behaviour myself, but I vaguely remember
>>> discussion. Can you remind me, did it If it automatically and silently
>>> downloaded the missing source file, thus delaying the UI from being
>>> responsive?  That would be bad :).  An common Microsoft anti-pattern
>>> IMO i.e. "Don't try to be too smart for your users"  but instead give
>>> them a sense of control.  Bringing up a dialog for user choice in an
>>> immediately responsive UI might be acceptable.
>>>
>>> cheers -ben

Re: How to run Mondrian code

Ben Coman
On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Christophe Demarey
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not think it is a good idea to silently download in headless mode.
> You often deploy apps in production in headless mode. Why would you want to download the sources?

I agreed with not download sources in headless mode.  If you're going
headless, you're not an impressionable newcomer needing your hand held
to fix a problem.

> I would rather see a default behavior not downloading the sources and a settings to allow automatic sources download.

Lets not not do anything "automatic" and **hidden** from the user.  If
an alert is being displayed  (as is currently done), it may as well
have a button to download them. Give the user control.

This is a first-impression issue for newcomers. The default headful
behaviour should be to provide the user an alert, with a single button
press to fix the problem.

> You could pop up a dialog in ui mode to enable the feature the first time you see a missing sources file.

Do you mean a setting outside the Image in an INI file?  Otherwise I
don't follow this logic.  What happens after the dialog is popped up
and "automatic download" is enabled?   The download starts?  May as
well make it a  "download" button, rather than an "automatic download"
setting.   It something that only needs to happen once.

cheers -ben

> Christophe
>
>> Le 31 mai 2016 à 20:33, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Is it possible to do the silent download only in headless mode? This would add to the first impressions without reducing respossiveness.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Offray
>>
>> On 31/05/16 09:16, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>> In a 3.0 image it can be found under #downloadSources
>>>
>>> Yes it did it silently, the thing is, you do not always have a UI (headless image). Many applications download extra files the first time they start up.

Re: How to run Mondrian code

SergeStinckwich
On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 3:18 PM, tien dh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Serge,
>
> It works fine for me now with Moose 6.0. Thank you very much.

Great if it works for you now.
Please ask again if you have any problems.
You migh register to the Pharo MOOC if you want to learn how to
program in Pharo:
https://www.fun-mooc.fr/courses/inria/41010/session01/about?platform=hootsuite

> P/S: Oh, I worked in Hanoi 2 years ago, but now I'm in Brussels. I'm going
> back this September and If you're still there at that time, we can go for a
> coffee and fun programming.

I'm living in Paris actually, not that far from Brussels.
If there is nothing secret, can you explain why you are using Roassal
and MOOSE ?

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [Pharo-dev] Re: How to run Mondrian code

demarey

> Le 1 juin 2016 à 13:05, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Christophe Demarey
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I do not think it is a good idea to silently download in headless mode.
>> You often deploy apps in production in headless mode. Why would you want to download the sources?
>
> I agreed with not download sources in headless mode.  If you're going
> headless, you're not an impressionable newcomer needing your hand held
> to fix a problem.
>
>> I would rather see a default behavior not downloading the sources and a settings to allow automatic sources download.
>
> Lets not not do anything "automatic" and **hidden** from the user.  If
> an alert is being displayed  (as is currently done), it may as well
> have a button to download them. Give the user control.

yes, it is a simple and good solution.

> This is a first-impression issue for newcomers. The default headful
> behaviour should be to provide the user an alert, with a single button
> press to fix the problem.
>
>> You could pop up a dialog in ui mode to enable the feature the first time you see a missing sources file.
>
> Do you mean a setting outside the Image in an INI file?  Otherwise I
> don't follow this logic.  What happens after the dialog is popped up
> and "automatic download" is enabled?   The download starts?  May as
> well make it a  "download" button, rather than an "automatic download"
> setting.   It something that only needs to happen once.

forgot my proposition. yours (download button on warning) is better :)

On 01/06/16 08:59, Christophe Demarey wrote:

>> I would rather see a default behavior not downloading the sources and a settings to allow automatic sources download.
>> Lets not not do anything "automatic" and **hidden** from the user.  If
>> an alert is being displayed  (as is currently done), it may as well
>> have a button to download them. Give the user control.
> yes, it is a simple and good solution.

Yes. That's my  proposal also. The silent download in headless was more
lets make things silently where it has sense. If headless doesn't, so I
would propose: warning plus download option in GUI mode and no silent
download in headless mode.

Cheers,

Offray

Le 01/06/2016 15:59, Christophe Demarey a écrit :

>> Lets not not do anything "automatic" and **hidden** from the user.  If
>> an alert is being displayed  (as is currently done), it may as well
>> have a button to download them. Give the user control.
>
> yes, it is a simple and good solution.
>
> forgot my proposition. yours (download button on warning) is better :)

I opened an issue:
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18393/Propose-to-download-sources-to-the-user-if-the-sources-are-missing

You can check if the description match your thoughts.

--
Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

165 Avenue Bretagne