How to search backwards in text editor?

askoh
Administrator
Is it possible to search backwards in VW text editor? If so, how?

Thanks,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: How to search backwards in text editor?

Holger Guhl
  I have published Contribution "GHFindDialog" to extend ParagraphEditor with a decent find dialog.
Most search options are known from common tools such as forward/backward, case
sensitive/insensitive, word and regex search). A feature is search look-ahead: Search
forward/backward buttons are enabled if another occurrence of the search word is present in the
respective direction.
You'll find the parcel in the Contributions section of the parcel manager, in the directory for Heeg
Contributions.

Cheers
Holger

Am 21.08.2011 15:54, schrieb askoh:

> Is it possible to search backwards in VW text editor? If so, how?
>
> Thanks,
> Aik-Siong Koh

Re: How to search backwards in text editor?

Steven Kelly
Aik-Siong: You can search backwards with Shift plus the "Find Again"
key, so by default Ctrl+Shift+G. See
UIFeelPolicy>>keyboardDispatchTable.

Holger: Wow, thanks for making this! I didn't spot a license in the
parcel, is your intention to allow free modification and use, e.g. as in
the MIT license?

All the best,
Steve

  Steve,
thank you for the nice feedback! The copyright notice is stored in the #notice slot of the
parcel/package properties. It is visible after loading the parcel or - in a FileBrowser - when
selecting the pst source file (the pcl info tab in the FileBrowser does not show it). This is the
statement:

> © Copyright 2008-2010 Georg Heeg e.K.
>
> Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and
> associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction,
> including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute,
> sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
> furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
> The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or
> substantial portions of the Software.
> THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT
> NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
> NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM,
> DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT
> OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
>
> (MIT License)
This statement is used for all Heeg Contributions on the VW 7.8 CD.

Another hint: You might want to give GHSpecialListMenu a try. The main purpose is "copying" list
items into clipboard, which is extremely useful when you do much documentation. Later I added search
functionality based on GHFindDialog. The special menu which is presented when holding the shift key
while opening a list context menu holds a function to search the list in GHFindDialog style:
Repeatedly find and select matching list items until you close the dialog. It works for *all* list
views (including TableView)! Upcoming versions will support DataSetView.

Cheers
Holger

Am 31.08.2011 11:42, schrieb Steven Kelly:

> Aik-Siong: You can search backwards with Shift plus the "Find Again"
> key, so by default Ctrl+Shift+G. See
> UIFeelPolicy>>keyboardDispatchTable.
>
> Holger: Wow, thanks for making this! I didn't spot a license in the
> parcel, is your intention to allow free modification and use, e.g. as in
> the MIT license?
>
> All the best,
> Steve

Holger Guhl
--
Senior Consultant * Certified Scrum Master * [hidden email]
Tel: +49 231 9 75 99 21 * Fax: +49 231 9 75 99 20

Re: How to search backwards in text editor?

Steven Kelly
Doh! I looked at the package tabs and even in the package properties
"Inspect All", but was only scanning for "license", so I missed
"notice". Need more coffee :). Thanks for the generous terms.

GHSpecialListMenu looks interesting, I might well add the find and copy
functionality manually to selected menus in our app, or make it always
be added at the end. It's too good to hide away behind Shift + right
click!

Steve