How to set up amber from zip file

laci
Hi,
I am using amber in production. My code is running against 0.13.
I want to migrate to the latest release using the downloadable zip file.
Unfortunately it is not as straightforward as I thought.

Can anyone describe the steps I need to take.

Thanks,
 laci

Re: How to set up amber from zip file

Herby Vojčík
There are migration guides in wiki. Though, they all presume bower / npm. If you insist on using zipfiles, you must emulate all things bower does manually, somehow; it's probably doable, but I would recommend forgetting zipfile and migrate to bower for local machine (you can deploy however you choose, like zipping all in local machine and unzipping in server, for example, if you are afraid of using bower on the server itself).

Herby

laci wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using amber in production. My code is running against 0.13.
> I want to migrate to the latest release using the downloadable zip file.
> Unfortunately it is not as straightforward as I thought.
>
> Can anyone describe the steps I need to take.
>
> Thanks,
> laci

Re: How to set up amber from zip file

laci
I am fine with working with npm and bower.
Bower set up jquery in bower_components and npm installed among others require.js.

In my index.html file I am loading jquery and require.js.
How to kick in loading the other stuff.

In the past there was an amber configuration file and a code like that worked like a charm.

<head>
<title>Test index page</title>
<script src="/amber-0.13.0/bower_components/jquery/jquery.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script src="/amber-0.13.0/bower_components/jquery/jquery-migrate.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script src="/amber-0.13.0/support/requirejs/require.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script src="/amber-0.13.0/support/amber.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

</head>

    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
        $(document).ready(function () {
        require.config({
                waitSeconds: 0
            });

        require(['amber/devel'], function (smalltalk) {
            document.smalltalk = smalltalk;
            smalltalk.initialize({ 'transport.defaultAmdNamespace': 'test' });
            require.config({
                    paths: {
                        'test': '/amber-projects/test/js',
                        'test/_source': '/amber-projects/test/st'
                    }
                });
                require(['test/Test'], function() {
javascript:require("amber/helpers").Browser._open();
                });
        });
        });
    -->
    </script>

Re: How to set up amber from zip file

Herby Vojčík
Now, things are different and you should only load one file ("the.js") in index.html and require only one package ("app").

The rest is assembled for you from pieces you get with bower / npm, wia running `grunt devel` (for development, each package in its file) or `grunt deploy` (for deployment, everything package into the.js).

Configuration of what to load is in deploy.js (for packages loaded in production) and devel.js (for additional packages loaded in development).

Run `amber init` in an empty directory, this creates working skeleton for you.

Herby

P.S.: Of course, amber is just a set of amd modules, so you can load / utilize / deploy them in many other combinations; just, the above one is supported.

laci wrote:

>     I am fine with working with npm and bower.
>
> Bower set up jquery in bower_components and npm installed among others
> require.js.
>
> In my index.html file I am loading jquery and require.js.
> How to kick in loading the other stuff.
>
> In the past there was an amber configuration file and a code like that
> worked like a charm.

> <head>
> <title>Test index page</title>
> <script src="/amber-0.13.0/bower_components/jquery/jquery.min.js"
> type="text/javascript"></script>
> <script
> src="/amber-0.13.0/bower_components/jquery/jquery-migrate.min.js"
> type="text/javascript"></script>
> <script src="/amber-0.13.0/support/requirejs/require.min.js"
> type="text/javascript"></script>
> <script src="/amber-0.13.0/support/amber.js"
> type="text/javascript"></script>
>
> </head>
>

> <script type="text/javascript">
> <!--
> $(document).ready(function () {
> require.config({
> waitSeconds: 0
> });
>
> require(['amber/devel'], function (smalltalk) {
> document.smalltalk = smalltalk;
> smalltalk.initialize({ 'transport.defaultAmdNamespace': 'test' });
> require.config({
> paths: {
> 'test': '/amber-projects/test/js',
> 'test/_source': '/amber-projects/test/st'

oh yes, and of course, mapping the names should be in *.amd.json files.
This is true for 0.13 as well, so you are probably using 0.13 nonstandardly.

> }
> });
> require(['test/Test'], function() {
> javascript:require("amber/helpers").Browser._open();
> });
> });
> });
> -->
> </script>

Re: How to set up amber from zip file

laci
Indeed, I was using the amber.js which was doing the configuration bit in the past.

>> Run `amber init` in an empty directory, this creates working skeleton for you.
I set up a new project like that. It works fine though I have no idea how to open the IDE.
I am fan of the classic IDE. Any hint on that?

Otherwise I'll try to bring together the unzipped structure using the skeleton created by 'amber init'.
Or use what is created by 'amber init' and merge my own modules there.
I am maintaining my codes outside of the amber folder.

I need to go through another learning curve.
This is really a shame and I can imagine it scares other potential users.

laci wrote:
> Indeed, I was using the amber.js which was doing the configuration bit
> in the past.
>
> >> Run `amber init` in an empty directory, this creates working
> skeleton for you.
> I set up a new project like that. It works fine though I have no idea
> how to open the IDE.
> I am fan of the classic IDE. Any hint on that?

If everything went fine, you can just open classic IDE in `amber init`-created project from the IDE starter dialog just after loading.

laci wrote:

> Indeed, I was using the amber.js which was doing the configuration bit
> in the past.
>
>  >> Run `amber init` in an empty directory, this creates working
> skeleton for you.
> I set up a new project like that. It works fine though I have no idea
> how to open the IDE.
> I am fan of the classic IDE. Any hint on that?
>
> Otherwise I'll try to bring together the unzipped structure using the
> skeleton created by 'amber init'.
> Or use what is created by 'amber init' and merge my own modules there.
> I am maintaining my codes outside of the amber folder.
>
> I need to go through another learning curve.
> This is really a shame and I can imagine it scares other potential users.

I don't know. The last big shift was 0.13 which brought *.amd.json files
for amd config with deploy.js and devel.js load sets and using `grunt
devel` and `grunt deploy` to assemble things neatly so you don't need to
ever change your index.html because of amber infrastructure, only
because of its content / startup code changes. That was already some
time ago, though.

Re: How to set up amber from zip file

laci
My working release is "version": "0.13.0-pre".

Anyway IDE is working. I'll try to bring together the unzipped version with the.js and other stuff.
Thanks. Let you know my progress or "no-progress".

laci wrote:
>     My working release is "version": "0.13.0-pre".

Ah... that explain things... it's 0.12.x "on the way to 0.13 line".

I'd say first upgrade to last 0.13.x line (do *.amd.json stuff, deploy.js/devel.js etc., loading everything by amd loader), then do one more step to the latest 0.14.x (which removed deprecations and did a lot of moving things around / renaming etc. but no real system change). It would be probably better to split it this way.

> Anyway IDE is working. I'll try to bring together the unzipped version
> with the.js and other stuff.
> Thanks. Let you know my progress or "no-progress".

Re: How to set up amber from zip file

laci
Right. Guess I will be busy during the Easter holiday.

Back to the project "amber init" created. I don't like the idea of having the.js and hiding how project is configured.
Can be handy if somebody start a new project but it is a drag in my case.

Basically I have to go back to loading require.js and configuring myself.

laci wrote:
> Right. Guess I will be busy during the Easter holiday.
>
> Back to the project "amber init" created. I don't like the idea of
> having the.js and hiding how project is configured.
> Can be handy if somebody start a new project but it is a drag in my case.
>
> Basically I have to go back to loading require.js and configuring myself.

It's not hiding, it's single responsibility. Config in its place, page content in its place. More and more changes will be done to support this model (including supporting it directly from IDE). Are you realizing you are choosing the much harder way and you will be on your own trying to make it work?

om/d/optout.

Re: How to set up amber from zip file

laci
My aim is easily upgrade the amber environment and make sure that my existing amber modules work fine.

My amber application is integrated into Visual Studio project, backed up in Source control system including amber environment files and the application is running on IIS, commiting amber source via IIS functionality.

What's your recomendation to achieve this objective?
Clearly the version I am running currently is obsolete in structure and approach.
Functionally it is fine though. My objective still to keep in touch with the latest amber build.
If I don't do that I stuck with old jquery, bootstrap, you name it configurations.
As I understand these dependencies are much lighter in the latest version.

laci wrote:
> My aim is easily upgrade the amber environment and make sure that my
> existing amber modules work fine.

Well, maybe you must upgrade infrastructure part of your modules and/or
recompile them to newer .js format, but otherwise, they should just work
fine (unless you used some deprecated API, in which case in won't work
in 0.14, but List of deprecations in wiki lists them along with the
contemporary alternative).

> My amber application is integrated into Visual Studio project, backed up
> in Source control system including amber environment files and the
> application is running on IIS, commiting amber source via IIS functionality.

I don't really understand the details here. Are you saying your
_development_ server is some remote IIS? If yes, that was pretty unhappy
decision, I'd say, as you don't have ability to work on the project
using cli tooling. If IIS is a production deployment, than it does not
matter; anything is good as a production.

> What's your recomendation to achieve this objective?

In any case, the best thing you can do is try to move to supported model
- development via local server with independent modules with their own
config (*.amd.json), and independent definition of application load sets
(deploy.js, devel.js), all decoupled from page(s) themselves
(index.html). For this to work, though, there is build steps involved,
preconfigured for you in `amber init` in Gruntfile.js and made available
as cli commands `grunt devel` (set up the development mode; each package
in its own file, the.js includes just the assembled module config and
the loader) and `grunt deploy` (set up deployment mode; every package
included and minimized in the.js) - no need to change anything in
.html(s) themselves, they always stay the same.

Look at 'Lego pieces metaphor' article in amber wiki to get a big picture.

> Clearly the version I am running currently is obsolete in structure and
> approach.
> Functionally it is fine though. My objective still to keep in touch with
> the latest amber build.
> If I don't do that I stuck with old jquery, bootstrap, you name it
> configurations.

All those things are loaded by require itself and managed by bower,
everything assembled in working pieces with help of extdepdir.amd.json
files. See the 'Lego' article.

> As I understand these dependencies are much lighter in the latest version.

Not necessarily, though it was tried to make the core less dependent,
but that also means some pieces (Helios) were extracted to their own
modules and bring their dependencies with themselves.

Herby

Re: How to set up amber from zip file

laci-2
Could you give me a link pointing to this "Look at 'Lego pieces metaphor' article in amber wiki to get a big picture."

Otherwise I can work with the skeleton created by "amber init".

I will make few changes though to the generated codes.
In the index.html file I will replace
   <script type='text/javascript' src='the.js'></script>
with
  <script type='text/javascript' src='node_modules/requirejs/require.js'></script>
  <script type='text/javascript' src='config.js'></script>

From devel.js and deploy.js I will remove reference to the created packages.
I don't need them at migrating code from previous amber release.
    'amber-ambertest/Ambertest-Tests',
    'amber-ambertest/Ambertest'

In index.html I will load my packages using the following code:
  <script type='text/javascript'>
      require(['devel'], function (amber) {
      //require(['deploy'], function (amber) {
amber.initialize({
//used for all new packages in IDE
//'transport.defaultAmdNamespace': "amber-ambertest"
'transport.defaultAmdNamespace': "portal_utilities"
});
require.config({
paths: {
'portal_utilities': 'sources/js'
, 'portal_utilities/_source': 'sources/st'
}
});

require(['portal_utilities/Timer'], function () {
      // What's this for? I am getting a JavaScript error in mousetrap.js: object.attachEvent is not a function
//require(["amber-ide-starter-dialog"], function (dlg) { dlg.start(); });
//amber.globals.Ambertest._start();
if (document.amber.globals.Browser != undefined) {
amber.globals.Browser._open();
}
         });
      });
  </script>

This approach also allows to load packages with different namespaces.

The smalltalk code indeed I have had to recompile.
My old js files were not compatible with this version.

Thanks for your support. Appreciate it.

Please let me know if I am doing anything which would lead to some incompatibility in the future.
Thanks.

laci wrote:

> Could you give me a link pointing to this "Look at 'Lego pieces
> metaphor' article in amber wiki to get a big picture."
>
> Otherwise I can work with the skeleton created by "amber init".
>
> I will make few changes though to the generated codes.
> In the index.html file I will replace
> <script type='text/javascript' src='the.js'></script>
> with
> <script type='text/javascript'
> src='node_modules/requirejs/require.js'></script>
> <script type='text/javascript' src='config.js'></script>
>
> From devel.js and deploy.js I will remove reference to the created
> packages.
> I don't need them at migrating code from previous amber release.
> 'amber-ambertest/Ambertest-Tests',
> 'amber-ambertest/Ambertest'
>
> In index.html I will load my packages using the following code:
> <script type='text/javascript'>
> require(['devel'], function (amber) {
> //require(['deploy'], function (amber) {

You're stubbornly going your own way.

Well, you decided. You must help you
rself in case of any subsequent issues*.

Herby

> amber.initialize({
> //used for all new packages in IDE
> //'transport.defaultAmdNamespace': "amber-ambertest"
> 'transport.defaultAmdNamespace': "portal_utilities"
> });
> require.config({
> paths: {
> 'portal_utilities': 'sources/js'
> , 'portal_utilities/_source': 'sources/st'
> }
> });
>
> require(['portal_utilities/Timer'], function () {
> // What's this for? I am getting a JavaScript error in mousetrap.js:
> object.attachEvent is not a function
> //require(["amber-ide-starter-dialog"], function (dlg) { dlg.start(); });
> //amber.globals.Ambertest._start();
> if (document.amber.globals.Browser != undefined) {
> amber.globals.Browser._open();
> }
> });
> });
> </script>
>
> This approach also allows to load packages with different namespaces.
>
> The smalltalk code indeed I have had to recompile.
> My old js files were not compatible with this version.
>
> Thanks for your support. Appreciate it.
>
> Please let me know if
 I am doing anything which would lead to some
> incompatibility in the future.
> Thanks.

* ... which stem from your not using the cli tooling way, but your own configuration way.

Re: How to set up amber from zip file

laci-2
I am not sure what you call stubborness.

I have set up the amber framework like advised:

   npm install --global amber-cli bower grunt-cli

   mkdir myAmberProject
   cd myAmberProject
   amber init

Following that made the changes - see above.
I don't see the point of hiding require.js and config.js in the.js.
But I guess this is personal.

Anyway thanks again for your support and for this great tool.
You are doing wonderful job.

laci wrote:

>     I am not sure what you call stubborness.
>

> I have set up the amber framework like advised:
>
> npm install --global amber-cli bower grunt-cli
>
> mkdir myAmberProject
> cd myAmberProject
> amber init
>
> Following that made the changes - see above.
> I don't see the point of hiding require.js and config.js in the.js.

It's not hiding, it's all by design. Goal of the design was:
 1. you don't change .html file(s) to switch between dev and production
 2. you can deploy automatically using all-in-one file.

The result was that you only load the.js and only require "app" - and the infrastructure is always set up accordingly - the.js contains different things and "app" is mapped differently whether you develop or deploy. But you don't change your .htmls, which means you won't make errors and you use the same page that is in production.

The implementation is do ing loadsets deploy.js and devel.js, automatic regeneraration of config.js (with appropriate mapp
ing of "app") and bundling neccessary parts into the.js.

This model of building a SPA is only one of possibilities, but this is the model that will be supported even more in the IDE etc.

What I call stubbornness is your decision to not use it, but do it all by hand as you was used to before. But of course, as was already written, you can.

> But I guess this is personal.

No, it's THE supported infrastructure of Amber SPA*, with benefits (scripted deployment, recompilation (not yet fully automatic), IDE support (tbd)) tied to using it. You can choose not to follow it and choose just amber libraries while doing your own infrastructure; but then you cannot get support for it (except the usual "RTFM of requirejs, look for xyz").

> Anyway thanks again for your support and for this great tool.
> You are doing wonderful job.

* while allowing for multiple pages as well - as you don't change anything in .html when switching to production.

Re: How to set up amber from zip file

laci-2
This clarifies the issue. Unfortunately I wasn't following the latest changes.

My preference is to deploy on production the development environment too and using an extra parameter in the querystring - &devel=true - load the IDE.

Do you cater for that too?

laci wrote:
>     This clarifies the issue. Unfortunately I wasn't following the
>     latest changes.
>

> My preference is to deploy on production the development environment
> too and using an extra parameter in the querystring - &devel=true -
> load the IDE.
>
> Do you cater for that too?

If it is just for JIT debugging, it's maybe better to include 'amber/lang' instead 'amber/deploy' in deploy.js, deploy as normal plus upload also helios into production deployment, and start it jit whenever you need.

But of course, you can do it in lots of different ways. I always try to keep amber libraries themselves decoupled as much as possible.