How to setup Bloc?

Photon
This post was updated on .
Hello I have trouble with Bloc.  I tried to install it like this as I read it
in a paper on Bloc: https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoBookWorkInProgress/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/Bloc/Bloc.html

Metacello new
    baseline: 'Bloc';
    repository: 'github://pharo-graphics/Bloc/src';
    load:#development

but then this does not work because there is no such class, install is send to nil:
MozLibraryInstaller install.

I had also trouble with the tutorial earlier. I could not see anything in
the preview altho the code was aparrently fine.
I really like to do something with bloc but I cant even set it up properly.
Please help me.

Re: How to I setup Bloc?

Aliaksei Syrel
Hello Photon,

I have literally no idea where you found this paper but it is years old.

Could you try to install it according to instructions on Bloc GitHub page:

You might also want to try a MemoryGame tutorial:

Let me know if something does not work.

Alex

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 at 03:26, Photon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello I have trouble with Bloc.  I tried to install it like this as i read it
in a paper on Bloc

but then this does not work because there is no suchclass, istall is send to
nil.

I had also trouble with the tutorial earlier. I could not see anything in
the preview altho the code was aparrantly fine.
I really like to do something with bloc but i cant even set it up properly.
Please help me.

Alex

Re: How to I setup Bloc?

Photon
This post was updated on .
Hi Aliaksei,

thank you for your reply. I dowloade Bloc from the source you gave me and
realized the memory tutorial is the same one wich was shown at the
PharoDays2017. I watched this video yesterday and tried to follow along but
it did not quite work. That was the reason why I found this strange old
paper.

I did it now again but following the PDF file. I get the same kind of
problem. The code seems to be right but when I run a new Card object wich
should be  grey sqaure by this point the Inspector shows nothing.
Resetting the Bloc universe did not help either.
<http://forum.world.st/file/t371759/Memory.png

It looks like it would be empty. Do you have any idea how I can fix this?

Re: How to I setup Bloc?

Aliaksei Syrel
Hello Photon,

MgdRawCardElement does not exist in in MemoryGame. It looks like you created it yourself.
Please, give us more information. For example share the implementation of that class. I am not a clairvoyant to tell where is a problem in your code without actually seeing the code.

Cheers,
Alex

On 10 January 2018 at 15:49, Photon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Aliaksei,

thank you for your reply. I dowloade Bloc from the source you gave me and
realized the memory tutorial is the same one wich was shown at the
PharoDays2017. I watched this video yesterday and tried to follow along but
it did not quite work. That was the reason why I found this strange old
paper.

I did it now again but following the PDF file. I get the same kind of
problem. The code seems to be right but when I run a new Card object wich
should be  grey sqaure by this point the Inspector shows nothing.
Resetting the Bloc universe did not help either.
<http://forum.world.st/file/t371759/Memory.png>

It looks like its would be empty. Do you have any idea how I can fix this?

Re: How to I setup Bloc?

Photon
This post was updated on .
Id did it following this pdf: http://files.pharo.org/books-pdfs/booklet-Bloc/2017-11-09-memorygame.pdf

"Thats the class"
        BlElement subclass: #MgdRawCardElement
	   instanceVariableNames: 'card'
	   classVariableNames: ''
	   package: 'Bloc-MemoryGame-Demo-Elements'

"accessing"
	card
	^card

	card: aMgCard
	 card := aMgCard

"visual properties"
	backgroundPaint
	^Color lightGray

"initialization"
       initialize
	super initialize.
	self size: 80@80.
	self card: (MgdCardModel new symbol: $a)

Re: How to I setup Bloc?

Aliaksei Syrel
Then the behaviour you get is expected one. There is no bug or issue there.
On page 12 in section 3.2 (Starting to draw a card) it tells you to implement a drawOnSparta: method. After that you should get the same as on Figure 3-1.
Since you didn't implement it, you obviously get nothing. It is like to only buy a garage and then being surprised that there is no car inside ;)

Re: How to I setup Bloc?

Photon
This post was updated on .
Omg i didnt even read further, asuming that i should get the grey sqaure as
result. Now once you said it, it`s kinda obvoius. I keep practicing. Thanks
again for your time :)

Re: How to I setup Bloc?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi aliaksei I will remove this link.

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 6:39 AM, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Photon,
>
> I have literally no idea where you found this paper but it is years old.
>
> Could you try to install it according to instructions on Bloc GitHub page:
>
> https://github.com/pharo-graphics/Bloc
>
> You might also want to try a MemoryGame tutorial:
>
> https://github.com/pharo-graphics/Tutorials
>
> Let me know if something does not work.
>
> P.S. Could somebody with access rights delete this page:
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoBookWorkInProgress/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/Bloc/Bloc.html
> ?
>
> Alex
>
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 at 03:26, Photon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello I have trouble with Bloc.  I tried to install it like this as i read
>> it
>> in a paper on Bloc
>>

>> but then this does not work because there is no suchclass, istall is send
>> nil.
>>

>> I had also trouble with the tutorial earlier. I could not see anything in
>> the preview altho the code was aparrantly fine.
>> I really like to do something with bloc but i cant even set it up
>> properly.
>> Please help me.
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

> Alex

Re: How to I setup Bloc?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Removed!

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 9:46 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi aliaksei I will remove this link.
>
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 6:39 AM, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Photon,
>>
>> I have literally no idea where you found this paper but it is years old.
>>
>> Could you try to install it according to instructions on Bloc GitHub page:
>>
>> https://github.com/pharo-graphics/Bloc
>>
>> You might also want to try a MemoryGame tutorial:
>>
>> https://github.com/pharo-graphics/Tutorials
>>
>> Let me know if something does not work.
>>
>> P.S. Could somebody with access rights delete this page:
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoBookWorkInProgress/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/Bloc/Bloc.html
>> ?
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 at 03:26, Photon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello I have trouble with Bloc.  I tried to install it like this as i read
>>> it
>>> in a paper on Bloc
>>>

>>> but then this does not work because there is no suchclass, istall is send
>>> nil.
>>>

>>> I had also trouble with the tutorial earlier. I could not see anything in
>>> the preview altho the code was aparrantly fine.
>>> I really like to do something with bloc but i cant even set it up
>>> properly.
>>> Please help me.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html