How to setup and run Aida on Gemstone GLASS

How to setup and run Aida on Gemstone GLASS

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

This is a guide to install GLASS from scratch, not as VMware GLASS
appliance. For Gemstone 2.3 Web Edition, which has latest Aida 5.6
already installed.

This guide is also among Documentation on our website:
        http://www.aidaweb.si/gemstone-glass.html

Here are the steps:

   1. download and run shell script:
      http://seaside.gemstone.com/scripts/installGemstone2.3-Linux.sh
        chmod 755 installGemstone2.3-Linux.sh
        ./installGemstone2.3-Linux.sh
        if you run as user, it will ask for root password!
        it will be installed in /opt/gemstone/product

   2. set an environment by running:
      source /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/defSeaside

   3. start Gemstone:
        startnet
        startGemstone

   4. Check if everything is running well:
        startSeaside_Hyper 50081
        in web broswer: http://<hostname>:50081/seaside/examples/counter
                (carefully, <hostname> is name of your machine!)
        ctrl/c startSeaside

Ok, first part done, now let we prepare and start Aida:

   1. run GemTools "one-click" Squeak image:
        cd /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/GemTools.app
        ./GemTools.sh

   2. Login into Gemstone
        click big button Login
        after successful login the Gemstone/S Transcript should open

   3. Load Aida packages into Gemstone (if not already)
        open Monticello (button in GS/S Transcript!)
        see if latest Swazoo and Aida packages are loaded yet

   4. Run Aida
        open Workspace (button in GS/S Transcript!)
        do it SwazooAida stop; demoStart.
        GemTools should block now, with GS cursor is shown!
        from web browser: http://localhost:8888
        unblock image with Alt . (Alt and point)
        restart again with SwazooAida stop; demoStart

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: How to setup and run Aida on Gemstone GLASS

Nicholas Moore
Janko,

Excellent.

In addition I had to manually create the gemstone/log and gemstone/locks directories - they were not created during installation.

 (And thanks to German, your questions have helped me also).

Nicholas

	in web broswer: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://">http://<hostname>:50081/seaside/examples/counter
[...]

NJM TSR-i

Nicholas J Moore
Limoges
France

Nicholas Moore wrote:
> Janko,
>
> Excellent.
>
> In addition I had to manually create the gemstone/log and gemstone/locks
> directories - they were not created during installation.

This is a direction for Dale therefore to improve the installation script :)

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: How to setup and run Aida on Gemstone GLASS

garduino
Thanks Janko by the guide, I want to get rid of the appliance also and this guide is perfect!

Thanks NIcholas, also your comments will be useful to me.

Cheers.

Janko Mivšek wrote:
[...]

Dale

----- "Janko Mivšek" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Nicholas Moore wrote:
| > Janko,
| >
| > Excellent.
| >
| > In addition I had to manually create the gemstone/log and
| gemstone/locks
| > directories - they were not created during installation.
|
| This is a direction for Dale therefore to improve the installation
| script :)
|
| Janko

We're looking into this...;)

Dale

Re: How to setup and run Aida on Gemstone GLASS

Rob Rothwell
If this get's it running, is there anyone out there savvy enough with VMWare to publish an Aida-capable GLASS appliance?  I'll try again, but I had a hard time starting from a base Linux VMWare appliance and doing all this myself.  I never did get it to work.  I actually needed something like UltraVNC or the like running as well because I only have a server I can run the appliance and it is just too painful to use an appliance AND remote into the server!  (At least with a GUI enabled Linux installation, but being a non-Linux guy, well...)

Just wondering...

Rob