How to successfully load latest VMMaker.oscog?

How to successfully load latest VMMaker.oscog?

jon fletcher

Hi,

I am just trying to get started and first step is loading VMMaker.oscog.
I grabbed the latest squeak and connected to the VMMaker Monticello
repository. In loading VMMaker.oscog-emm.1491, I first got warned about
missing FFIConstants and KlattResonatorIndices classes. I went ahead and
proceeded.

After loading I started running VMMaker tests and have gotten many
failures. Is this due to the missing classes above? What would you
suggest to move forward?

Thank you,
jon

Re: How to successfully load latest VMMaker.oscog?

Clément Béra

Have you tried this way: http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/build-image/ ?

Else it's probably some constants that are not initialized.

jon

Re: How to successfully load latest VMMaker.oscog?

jon fletcher

I'll try building an image, then, though I am on Windows. I thought
perhaps loading into the stock image would allow me to run the tests.

Thank you

- jon

Re: How to successfully load latest VMMaker.oscog?

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Jon,

    what timeline are you in?

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

> On Oct 8, 2015, at 2:44 AM, Jon Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'll try building an image, then, though I am on Windows. I thought perhaps loading into the stock image would allow me to run the tests.
>
> Thank you
>
>> On 10/8/2015 5:40 AM, Clément Bera wrote:
>>

>> Have you tried this way: http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/build-image/ ?
>>
>> Else it's probably some constants that are not initialized.

>>    Hi,
>>
>>    I am just trying to get started and first step is loading
>>    VMMaker.oscog. I grabbed the latest squeak and connected to the
>>    VMMaker Monticello repository. In loading VMMaker.oscog-emm.1491,
>>    I first got warned about missing FFIConstants and
>>    KlattResonatorIndices classes. I went ahead and proceeded.
>>
>>    After loading I started running VMMaker tests and have gotten many
>>    failures. Is this due to the missing classes above? What would you
>>    suggest to move forward?
>>
>>    Thank you,
>>    jon

> - jon

Re: How to successfully load latest VMMaker.oscog?

EstebanLM

Hi Jon,

sadly, building the VM is a complicated issue.
and is even harder in windows.
For the pharo flavour, we have this, with all appropriate instructions:

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm

for example, here is a “crude” list of all step I followed to build Pharo in a win10 environment, two weeks ago:
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/blob/master/README-Win32-fasttrack.md

I guess Eliot also has some equivalent build steps list… But in any case… is a complicated task :S

Esteban

> On 08 Oct 2015, at 10:28, Jon Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am just trying to get started and first step is loading VMMaker.oscog. I grabbed the latest squeak and connected to the VMMaker Monticello repository. In loading VMMaker.oscog-emm.1491, I first got warned about missing FFIConstants and KlattResonatorIndices classes. I went ahead and proceeded.
>
> After loading I started running VMMaker tests and have gotten many failures. Is this due to the missing classes above? What would you suggest to move forward?
>
> Thank you,
> jon

Re: How to successfully load latest VMMaker.oscog?

jon fletcher

Hi Esteban, you said so, it can be a challenge. I am currently stuck on
Cigwyn. I loaded latest and couldn't compile gcc so I tried the
specified 5.1 for Cygwin but I couldn't find a mirror with the setup.ini
file.  I'll take a look at what you have with Pharo.

- jon

On 10/8/2015 9:23 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> sadly, building the VM is a complicated issue.
> and is even harder in windows.
> For the pharo flavour, we have this, with all appropriate instructions:
>
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm
>
> for example, here is a “crude” list of all step I followed to build Pharo in a win10 environment, two weeks ago:
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/blob/master/README-Win32-fasttrack.md
>
> I guess Eliot also has some equivalent build steps list… But in any case… is a complicated task :S
>
> Esteban
>

>> On 08 Oct 2015, at 10:28, Jon Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am just trying to get started and first step is loading VMMaker.oscog. I grabbed the latest squeak and connected to the VMMaker Monticello repository. In loading VMMaker.oscog-emm.1491, I first got warned about missing FFIConstants and KlattResonatorIndices classes. I went ahead and proceeded.
>>
>> After loading I started running VMMaker tests and have gotten many failures. Is this due to the missing classes above? What would you suggest to move forward?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> jon

Re: How to successfully load latest VMMaker.oscog?

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Esteban,

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 6:23 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jon,

sadly, building the VM is a complicated issue.
and is even harder in windows.

At least building a VMMaker.oscog image is pretty easy now.  Provided you have svn and either curl or wget available (curl on Mac OS X, wget elsewhere, and wget is available from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm, it is as simple as

$ cd image
$ ./buildspurtrunkvmmakerimage.sh

Except that the Squeak 5.0 image update will break at some point, and you'll get some warnings about serializing zero-sized diff versions, and you'll get prompted for your initials.  But these are really easy to deal with.  First dismiss the MNU and restart the update manually from the Squeak menu, proceed through the zero-sized diff warning and Save and Quit, then provide your initials when prompted.

--
best, Eliot